Sign in to follow this  
GBee777

Techy Simmers - 10-bit Colour / Exclusive Fullscreen ?

So I see sim supports HDR. Presumably this is genuine HDR10 ? So will only work with HDR capable panel.

However, HDR requires 10 bit colour minimum. But will 10 bit colour be available on a NON-HDR monitor that is 10 bit, so that at last we can enjoy reduced colour banding / gradients in the sky ?

Also I think it needs to be exclusive fullscreen as opposed to borderless window as in P3D for 10 bit to work without a Quadro. Is this the case ? 

Cheers

Edited by GBee777

1 hour ago, GBee777 said:

HDR requires 10 bit colour minimum

Not strictly true that. Lots of people misuse or misunderstand what HDR actually is, and that's because it was/is a buzz-word used to sell new TVs to people, a bit like when people go 'ooh, I want one of those new Fords with the triple underslung thrunge-bucket camshafts' because they heard it mentioned on an advert, even though they don't even know what the hell that thing is, or what it does.

All HDR actually means is that an image, or display method, uses a wider range of luminosity than is normally the case, to render an image. As a technique, it was first used in the 1850s, by simply taking two different exposures of the same scene, one for the ground and one for the sky, and then creating a print from the best elements of the resulting two negatives. So you can in fact have an HDR image which is black and white if you like, because that's what those images from 1850 were. In spite of all the advertising hype, it's not a new concept.

What does require 10 Bit hardware, is the HDR-10 Standard, but it is just one of many variations of the HDR concept and one of many HDR standards which organisations have taken it upon themselves to declare, some having more influence than others. MS and Apple both support HDR-10, and so the the XBox is capable of displaying to that standard. But even if you have a monitor for your PC which is not super-duper, yet can still display a wider dynamic range than normal standard dynamic range, then it would be giving you an HDR image. Since it isn't a legal definition, more of a hardware standard (actually one of many), then MS can cheerfully claim that it will be HDR even on a fairly mundane monitor, because it will be, just not necessarily to a specific standard.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

That's why I started by saying "assuming it's HDR10". That is a standard.

I have an OLED so I know all about HDR. Just interested whether, and how it's implemented in FS2020.

Edited by GBee777
  • Like 1

Wow. So few people care about colour banding.

Exclusive fullscreen also allows TrackIR to run a lot smoother at lower framerates. Compare X Plane with P3D at 30 fps.

Oh well. I guess as long as it looks pretty during the day.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:15 AM, GBee777 said:

So I see sim supports HDR. Presumably this is genuine HDR10 ? So will only work with HDR capable panel.

However, HDR requires 10 bit colour minimum. But will 10 bit colour be available on a NON-HDR monitor that is 10 bit, so that at last we can enjoy reduced colour banding / gradients in the sky ?

Also I think it needs to be exclusive fullscreen as opposed to borderless window as in P3D for 10 bit to work without a Quadro. Is this the case ? 

Cheers

HDR10 is detected by Windows 10 . If your display supports along with HDR10 supported software app it will detect in the option settings. Otherwise it's grayed out.  MS's Xbox One Scorpio has had HDR for several years now since it's prevalent on most TV's 

Semper Fi 

Yup. My TV does for HDR gaming but I am planning on running this sim on a non-HDR IPS monitor that supports 10 bit colour.

But 10 bit apparently needs exclusive fullscreen so I'm hoping FS2020 will be fullscreen and then 10 bit will work even without HDR.

No one seems to know. Not really surprising but I'll find out in 2 weeks.

My monitor has the simplest HDR technology (BenQ EX3501R) but I hope it will work.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

The BenQ EX3501R is a 8 bit color monitor that accept a 10 bit signal. I have the same monitor. I can try for you today and see if HDR works.

• Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

You can check your display for HDR10 support.  Type HDR in the Windows 10 search bar. This screen will come up.  You notice under Display Properties my widescreen  monitor is not detected as HDR and will not display games in HDR. If I connect to my 4K TV it's supported. 

asBC2GW.png

Semper Fi 

On 8/4/2020 at 3:29 PM, Ixoye said:

My monitor has the simplest HDR technology (BenQ EX3501R) but I hope it will work.

Please report back. I'm considering a full HDR monitor but only if it gives full 10 bit colour so the skies have none of that horrid colour banding.

Some games will auto switch graphics to HDR when enabled in game.

Some... for eg. TOMB RAIDER,  seem not to, and you have to manually set in under graphic setting in windows.

Eventually all will prolly do it automatically as setting the desktop to "8 bit RGB" gives the best desktop appearance, with HDR switched off in the windows settings.

....Then it only switches to HDR when the game/sim boots up.

@Ixoye, @fogboundturtle I have my eyes on this Benq ultrawide 35" too. May I ask how satisfied you are, and specifically how the blacks are? I like deep blacks but some screens already look grey even when powered off. I can't find a shop where I can see one live, I'll need to by it 'blind', which for a monitor I don't like, just like buying speakers without first hearing them. 

Edit: To avoid HW talk and equipment reviews here I should have PM'd. We can still.

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

I have the BD3270 which is still rated as one of the best 2K (1440p) MVA monitors under 500 quid.

The colours are superb straight out of the box... but it is still an LCD monitor so in a dark room there are no true blacks.

But as I use OLED phones, tablets and a TV, I probably notice it more readily.

I think my blacks are rated at about 0.3 nits... so about the same as an average Plasma TV was back in the day... but check the numbers on a review site for yours.

Edited by GBee777

Thanks for your input. Same thing here, once used to an OLED screen nothing else looks black anymore. But I'll settle for a screen that at least doesn't already look grey when powered off.

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation