Sign in to follow this  
GBee777

Techy Simmers - 10-bit Colour / Exclusive Fullscreen ?

Yes I mean most of the time I'm using at a desk facing a window so it looks ace.

But at night with just a 30 watt backlight, night scenes in P3D look a little grey.

On 8/3/2020 at 2:24 PM, GBee777 said:

Wow. So few people care about colour banding.

I care about it at least.  I went so far as to take a $2,000 hit upgrading my projector to a new model projector that had a video processor capable of band-free HDR.  I also prefer if this game can toggle HDR on/off without me having to separately enable HDR in Windows settings, but i have yet to play a game that can do that. 

Well I guess we'll find out soon enough.

My guess is that because it does HDR (assuming it's REAL HDR) it must be 2 things.

1. Full screen exclusive

2.10 bit colour.

If the above is valid ... it may not be though, as I'm no expert, then I shoyld get full 10 bit colour via my GTX 1080 on my 10 bit 2K monitor.

This will make me happy for now until I switch to QLED at the end of the year.

If its full 10 bit colour then banding is significantly reduced compared to 8 bit, but as you say, a good monitor or TV screen can further improve gradients if it has a good processor.

We'll compare notes after the 18th !

Well a year on it's interesting that MSFS is clearly running full HDR in 10bit color.

Massive reduction in banding artefacts.

But I still don't understand how it can !

E.G. being a borderless window, it apparently doesn't work properly ith VRR or G sync.

Mystery!

And what's happened to these forums ? More ads than posts and they keep loading making it virtually impossible to type.

Yuk.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

And what's happened to these forums ? More ads than posts and they keep loading making it virtually impossible to type.

Yuk.

Uh so it's not just me. I am also getting spammed with ads here.

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

6 hours ago, Baber20 said:

Uh so it's not just me. I am also getting spammed with ads here.

I see no ads, maybe you picked up a "passenger" in your travels around the net, or unknowingly allowed an ad program to attach to your browser.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

16 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

Well a year on it's interesting that MSFS is clearly running full HDR in 10bit color.

Massive reduction in banding artefacts.

But I still don't understand how it can !

E.G. being a borderless window, it apparently doesn't work properly ith VRR or G sync.

Mystery!

Yuk.

HDR10 can work on 10 bit or 8 bit + FRC monitors. Banding artifacts are the result of a bug introduced with SU5 (Asobo admitted it) and are no longer there in SU7 beta hotfix.

As for the borderless window, having set 10 bit color depth in the desktop settings, also the sim window will be rendered with 10 bit color depth (or 8 bit + FRC).

I can confirm that GSync works perfectly on my monitor with the following settings:

• GSync on in nVidia control panel (obiously)
  • VSync on in nVidia control panel
  • VSync off in MSFS settings

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

On 8/2/2020 at 9:19 AM, Chock said:

bit like when people go 'ooh, I want one of those new Fords with the triple underslung thrunge-bucket camshafts' because they heard it mentioned on an advert, even though they don't even know what the hell that thing is, or what it does.

Doncha love that?  I remember Certs mints making a big splash advertising that their mints contained Retsyn. People ran out to buy them, because they've got Retsyn, and that's better!

Know what Retsyn is? Copper and cottonseed oil. That's it. Certs was the one mint that didn't actually have any mint in it.