Sign in to follow this  
dilore

Backward compatibility

3 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

It's really hard to explain why legacy aircraft and legacy FD are important in the new sim - especially to newcomers.

Let me try.. If you have some favorite aircraft in FSX/P3D, would you not like to try to fly them in MSFS?   See, that was not that hard 🙂

• Like 1

Bert

5 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

It's really hard to explain why legacy aircraft and legacy FD are important in the new sim

No, it isn't hard to explain ....
That is: if one wants to fly aircraft like Harriers, or other VSTOL-capable aircraft, in the new sim.

There is a belief in the flight sim community that the only way to get a better flight model is to totally eliminate backward compatibility.  It ain't necessarily so.  Asobo has offered us both the legacy flight model and a new one in one simulator.  Each has some advantages.

For those demanding a totally different flight model with absolutely no backward compatibility, there is always the option of going to another flight simulator. 🙂 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

On 8/2/2020 at 9:47 AM, highflyer2020 said:

It means if developers port over their aircraft they don't have to develop the flight model from scratch as they can just use the legacy FM.

You'd likely want them to at least modify the flight model considering airflow is newly simulated in MFS.

8 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Let me try.. If you have some favorite aircraft in FSX/P3D, would you not like to try to fly them in MSFS?   See, that was not that hard 🙂

What I meant was, it's perhaps a little difficult to explain to newcomers - who are expecting shiny new tubeliners and Cessnas - that all these older wonderfully diverse aircraft of old have been available for many years, patiently crafted by passionate developers.

Do they know the sheer joy of catapulting off Javier's Nimitz in the FSXBA Hornet on a dark, wet night...

A couple of posts above mine here is one by rcbarend - who, I think it no exaggeration to say; single-handely brought true VSTOL capability in to FSX and P3D - allowing the Harrier, The F-35B and a host of other incredible aircraft to fly correctly.

I'll certainly be wanting those in the new sim. The Airbus A320 just has the sound turned down after you've flown either of them.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese

No thank you, why would you want to use FSX planes in a brand new physics engine with improved flight dynamics. I wish in a way ASOBO would delete this option as if you want backwards compatible platform then go buy Prepar3d they pride themselves on being backwards compatible and look how different that platform is, the physics are not great. 

Newcomers are unlikely to have legacy aircraft, newcomers have the advantage of learning something new without the moaning this is not like FS9 or FSX. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

19 minutes ago, Duncan Odgers said:

No thank you, why would you want to use FSX planes in a brand new physics engine with improved flight dynamics. I wish in a way ASOBO would delete this option as if you want backwards compatible platform then go buy Prepar3d they pride themselves on being backwards compatible and look how different that platform is, the physics are not great. 

Quite a large chunk of MSFS is legacy code. Without that, you would have no MSFS at all.

Edited by dilore

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, Duncan Odgers said:

No i get that its just the old FSX flight model is still available and developers could get lazy and just slam anything in there 

Valid point, Alabeo, Carenado et al might be tempted to do so in the short run. There will be a backlash though. 

I myself will only purchse study level-aircraft, and these will hardly be using the legacy flight model.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

45 minutes ago, dilore said:

Valid point, Alabeo, Carenado et al might be tempted to do so in the short run. There will be a backlash though. 

I myself will only purchse study level-aircraft, and these will hardly be using the legacy flight model.

Yes and rightly so as we have a new model and everyone should be using this new model especially with the air mass simulation as well, looking forward to what PMDG et al come up with 

I don't want to fly just "an airplane."  I often want to fly a specific airplane.  

I suspect my Cannibal Queen paint job on the Golden Age Simulations super Stearman will import into MSFS without problem.  That means I can fly the Cannibal Queen route in the correct aircraft over the actual terrain in MSFS, not just the representation of the terrain in P3D. 

I think this will be the fourth time I've flown that route in different versions of the flight sim.  Somehow it wouldn't be the same in one of the existing aircraft, not even the Pitts.

Thank goodness for backward compatibility.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

What I understood from the recent AVSIM interview with MSFS developers is that FSX/P3D planes that do not use DLLs and/or custom coding will likely work in the new sim.  One guy even said it would be a simple drag and drop procedure to add them to the sim.   I'm really hoping that this includes XML gauges.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS