Sign in to follow this  
dilore

Backward compatibility

So, has backward compability been tested during the alpha?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

Backwards with what? 

Nothing from P3D/FSX etc. will work on the new simulator unless the developers modify it to work out of the box.

3 minutes ago, dilore said:

Could be to a limited extent. But I hope it all fails. We have done enough of bringing the old into the newer with a bunch of bandaids, hooks, mashups, mega hacks etc.  That just causes more problems and bottlenecks.  Lets hope everything stays native

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

You don't want that 🙂 It's a brand new product which deserves brand new, optimized add-ons.

• Like 4

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

3 minutes ago, highflyer2020 said:

Backwards with what? 

Nothing from P3D/FSX etc. will work on the new simulator unless the developers modify it to work out of the box.

There is a legacy flight model in the menu, and I seem to remember that some form of backward compability (using exactly this FM) was promised.

Edited by dilore
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, dilore said:

Really do you want in a complete new sim with new aerodynamic and graphic possibilities use a complete old add-ons with very limited aerodynamics and graphic? 😉

4 minutes ago, dilore said:

There is a legacy flight model in the menu, and I seem to remember that some form of backward compability (using exactly this FM) was promised.

It means if developers port over their aircraft they don't have to develop the flight model from scratch as they can just use the legacy FM.

2 minutes ago, ludekbrno said:

Really do you want in a complete new sim with new aerodynamic and graphic possibilities use a complete old add-ons with very limited aerodynamics and graphic? 😉

Yes. As long as my favorite aircraft (including helicopters!) are not available.

• Like 5

In the AVSIM interview with the developers, then stated that backwards compatibility will not be available for most aircraft or addons because of technical differences arising from the more modern platform.

I say this is a good thing and we should we move on to the future which has more advanced capabilities allowing for better addons. Demanding compatibility with dinosaur-era code will be a waste of time and counter intuitive for all parties. 

• Like 1

If you mean 'can I load planes from FSX into the new MSFS' the answer is yes, but it's not guaranteed they work well, specially not if they are large chunks of code from third parties. Words along these lines were spoken by the development team in the AVSim interview which can be found here.

Edit: Apparently FAZZ3 was typing faster than I did. 🙂

Edited by RudyB24

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

6 minutes ago, FAZZ3 said:

In the AVSIM interview with the developers, then stated that backwards compatibility will not be available for most aircraft or addons because of technical differences arising from the more modern platform.

I did not expect much, especially not for my study-level aircraft which use own code libraries.
But good to know that some form of backward compability seems to exist, at least in theory.

• Like 1

I'd like backward compatibility for airport sceneries.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

1 hour ago, highflyer2020 said:

Backwards with what? 

Complex planes won't work, but simple ones might with some tweaking.

Other add-ons such as FSEconomy are already working.

Not sure about sceneries, thouugh.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, dilore said:

Backward compatibility for FS2020 would be like backward compatibility for motor cars vs. horse-drawn buggies. This is a new era, nothing less.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1