Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Amazing contrast in V4.5 vs V5 for ME!

I really hate to say it, but there is such an amazing contrast between V4+ and V5 P3d.   I wish there weren't, because I always enjoyed having the latest and greatest when it comes to technology and flight sims. I have one of the latest state of the art computers from Jetline that works great with everything except V5 P3d.  I like the latest video drivers (usually) and I try to keep up with the latest, most appropriate, planes and sceneries for my tastes.  I might mention that V5 and V4 SHARE a single 1TB drive alone.  There are no windows files or other files to interfere with the sims.  They have the whole SSD to themselves.   ORBX Libraries are on other drives.  Both sims have "exclusions" built in from AV programs.  Both sims have 200Gbytes each of Orbx sceneries, and both use Active Sky.

V5, even with its hotfixes, acts poorly from a reliability standpoint for me, and V4+ ALWAYS works almost flawlessly all day long.  V5 will eventually turn into a "stutter-pause-freeze bomb" after a flight that lasts about an hour.  It never fails to fall apart regardless of the many graphics setting variations I have tried.  I may be able to complete a short hop, or the 1st leg of a flight on V5, but forget about going onto the 2nd leg or flying over 200 miles.  Fuggetaboutit!

So, I am convinced that until V5 is REALLY improved by Prepar3d with either another STRONG hotfix, or a new version, I will continue to use V4.5 reliably and enjoyably. Additionally, I will be using MSFS 2020 in a couple of weeks. Yesterday, I flew both into and out of MYNN in the Bahamas with the horrendous weather.  V5 got me half way to Tampa and stutter-froze.  V4.5 got me all the way to Tampa, where I  refueled and flew on to Disney World in Orlando.  From there an Alabeo R66 Turbine helicopter took me over to Epcot Center in the evening with glorious lighting all throughout that area and within the park.  Not a single, significant stutter or pause or freeze occurred.  It was smooth as silk.

This has been written as to what is happening to me.....maybe not to you.  If you have found a way to fly V5 for hours without the "stutter-pause-freeze bomb", more power to you.  I been in flight sims since the beginning decades ago, and I've never experienced this much frustration with a sim.  There are ZERO tweaks in either sim, and I have deleted shaders frequently and allowed the sim to build NEW configuration files.

Thanks for listening.

Stan

Edited by spilok
edited by mod: font size
  • Like 1

I really hate small print. 🙂 I have no issues with V5 stutters etc. New 1700k at 5.1ghz and a few years old 1070. All addons Orbx , AS Live traffic etc.

• Like 1

It's surprising to me I have almost the opposite experience, especially with my i7-6700K and GTX 1060 6GB. I don't get all of the stuttering and pauses that I had in v4.4, and fps are incredibly high in big cities. The topper for me is the new Enhanced Atmospherics. So much so that I'm gradually dismantling v4.4. I know it's still beta and needs a lot of work, but the difference is amazing. Having said that I have to watch the GPU counter like a hawk. If I'm getting near the limit I have to back off on settings before I get an OOM. Not much help I know, but if 4.5 is working so well, stick with it! I'm sure LM is going to iron out the kinks in v5, and hopefully get the VRAM usage down a bit (I know, DX12 and all that).

I think this will all be a moot point on the 18th, but I am keeping v5 just to fly the hoard of aircraft and scenery I have.

Edited by Coneman

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

1 hour ago, spilok said:

I really hate to say it, but there is such an amazing contrast between V4+ and V5 P3d.   I wish there weren't, because I always enjoyed having the latest and greatest when it comes to technology and flight sims. I have one of the latest state of the art computers from Jetline that works great with everything except V5 P3d.  I like the latest video drivers (usually) and I try to keep up with the latest, most appropriate, planes and sceneries for my tastes.  I might mention that V5 and V4 SHARE a single 1TB drive alone.  There are no windows files or other files to interfere with the sims.  They have the whole SSD to themselves.   ORBX Libraries are on other drives.  Both sims have "exclusions" built in from AV programs.  Both sims have 200Gbytes each of Orbx sceneries, and both use Active Sky.

V5, even with its hotfixes, acts poorly from a reliability standpoint for me, and V4+ ALWAYS works almost flawlessly all day long.  V5 will eventually turn into a "stutter-pause-freeze bomb" after a flight that lasts about an hour.  It never fails to fall apart regardless of the many graphics setting variations I have tried.  I may be able to complete a short hop, or the 1st leg of a flight on V5, but forget about going onto the 2nd leg or flying over 200 miles.  Fuggetaboutit!

So, I am convinced that until V5 is REALLY improved by Prepar3d with either another STRONG hotfix, or a new version, I will continue to use V4.5 reliably and enjoyably. Additionally, I will be using MSFS 2020 in a couple of weeks. Yesterday, I flew both into and out of MYNN in the Bahamas with the horrendous weather.  V5 got me half way to Tampa and stutter-froze.  V4.5 got me all the way to Tampa, where I  refueled and flew on to Disney World in Orlando.  From there an Alabeo R66 Turbine helicopter took me over to Epcot Center in the evening with glorious lighting all throughout that area and within the park.  Not a single, significant stutter or pause or freeze occurred.  It was smooth as silk.

This has been written as to what is happening to me.....maybe not to you.  If you have found a way to fly V5 for hours without the "stutter-pause-freeze bomb", more power to you.  I been in flight sims since the beginning decades ago, and I've never experienced this much frustration with a sim.  There are ZERO tweaks in either sim, and I have deleted shaders frequently and allowed the sim to build NEW configuration files.

Thanks for listening.

Stan

Sorry to hear your experience with V5 Stan, I have the opposite beside some bugs and EA beta stuff but smooth as butter...

But are you trying to test my eyes Stan 🥶 and I failed 🤣

Edited by awf
  • Like 2

André

Stan all I can say is with Hotfix2 my v5 is very stable.  I've got 10's of hours on it now with no stutters, no CTD's, no out of mem.  I can force it to out of mem but it would be using settings I don't normally run on the extreme end.

Are you sure you're on HF2?  Your experience sounds almost like my experience on release-to-market (RTM) and HF1, which were all kinds of unstable for me.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Stan-what version of Win 10 are you running?

I found that until I went to v 2004 -problems occurred

Now all seems good

xxd09

Edited by xxd09
Spelling

2 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

I really hate small print. 🙂 I have no issues with V5 stutters etc. New 1700k at 5.1ghz and a few years old 1070. All addons Orbx , AS Live traffic etc.

Don't know why it's coming out small.  I'll try to fix it....I just noticed it myself.

Stan

I am amazed.  I really wish I knew why this version hates me and my computer.  I have the latest Windows 10 update, and I'm sure I'm running Hotfix2, but I'll recheck everything again.  

Thanks.  I'm puzzled.

Stan

Hi 

sorry to hear about your problems . You’ve obviously have worked very hard to try to make this work.

I have only an i5 4690k with GTX1080 ti, and it runs V5 really smoothly and great frame rates. I’ve been flying the Milviz KA all over S America with no problems. You seem to have a good set up but the only thing I found about V5 is it’s very sensitive to add-ons. You can’t compare it to v4, it’s very different.

I am assuming your P3D freezes and CTD or you have to restart it?. Have you looked in the Windows Event Viewer to see whether an error code was logged?

There’s no way of telling what will work and what will not in V5, but what LM and everyone will probably tell you is deactivate all your add-on scenery and planes and try flying in a default plane in the same place. (I did this and it’s a bit of a pain) I found one scenery that was supposed to be compatible, but wasn’t.

if it still freezes then, it’s def P3D v5. I’d go on the P3D forum for support if you have the crash log.

Also try regenerating the P3d.config.

just an idea anyway, really hope this or something at least helps.

Good luck!

Ray

3 hours ago, spilok said:

Yesterday, I flew both into and out of MYNN in the Bahamas with the horrendous weather.  V5 got me half way to Tampa and stutter-froze. 

What aircraft were you flying here?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 hours ago, spilok said:

Thanks for listening.

Stan

Like some other post, I've had very few issues.  I have 52 flights for over 116 hours of flying with flights ranging from 1 to 4.5 hours. So far I've used 16 planes some of which were designed for FSX including the default FSX Cessna C172 which I loaded up in P3DV5 just to see if it would work. I have HF2 and the latest windows upgrade.  I have ignored the rules regarding using only V5 approved add-ons and installing the add-ons outside the P3DV5 folder. On longer flights, I 've been doing other stuff on the computer while flying.

I have been doing a lot of gauge and scenery fixes and design and may start and stop P3DV5 20 or 30 times to test my work before actually flying.  It has been very stable for me when flying.  I've had some CTD's usually when changing planes before I go flying, but not when I'm flying.  I have most of the ORBX Global scenery install as well as ORBX OZ and NZ.  I have also installed some older FSX scenery that works ok.

it make me wonder if the issues are with P3DV5, an add-on, something else running in the background.

John C.

• Like 1

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

I've had all the problems you mentioned and was initially grieving for the two hundred bucks until the hotfix2 and windows2004. Now I've uninstalled completely 4.5 since my version five is so stable and I run some pretty heavy scenery with complex planes. I only have a GTX1070 8GB and have not had a crash since, not even at LVFR KMIA with Leonardo's Maddog. I use Activesky v5 for weather along with several other apps when flying like FFTF and Lorby live traffic. Wouldn't want to go back now. Maybe a complete reinstall would help. 

Vic green

1 hour ago, Mace said:

What aircraft were you flying here?

A320 from Simviation for P3d.  I download quite a few Boeings, Airbuses, etc from Simviation.  Also use planes from Carenado, and from Rickooo.

Stan

Edited by spilok

Have you have done a complete reinstall, and before adding any add ons, flew the stock standard/default vanilla flavoured sim?

Cheers

Steve Hall