Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Amazing contrast in V4.5 vs V5 for ME!

On 8/2/2020 at 3:05 PM, spilok said:

I am amazed.  I really wish I knew why this version hates me and my computer.  I have the latest Windows 10 update, and I'm sure I'm running Hotfix2, but I'll recheck everything again.  

Thanks.  I'm puzzled.

Stan

I have pretty much same experience with v5 on new PC

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

7 hours ago, spilok said:

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, I have found my problem with P3dV5! 

EUREKA.....I HAVE FOUND IT!

Well, here it is.  I was consistently researching this problem for MONTHS, and the same advice was given everywhere....except this morning.  I read an excellent article on line at Brettsan.com regarding P3d Configuration problems and tweaks.

I think I found that link where it says about audio driver update. Did you update it via with Nvidia graphic driver or via Realtek website? 

Edited by skysurfer

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

One thing you may want to consider is just running sound to an amplifier using HDMI or some other digital mechanism.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

13 hours ago, skysurfer said:

I think I found that link where it says about audio driver update. Did you update it via with Nvidia graphic driver or via Realtek website? 

I used Windows to find the latest driver for my sound card.  It found the Realtek driver.

Stan

13 hours ago, skysurfer said:

Yes.  I went to Brettsan.com and in Search Box....put P3D Configuration Tweaks.  Then when you get that, click on the words P3d Configuration Tweaks.

I was directed to the Brettsan page via a search on Google for P3d stuttering problems..

Stan

Glad I didn't pay another $200 for V5 as V4.5 as amply good enough for THIS simulator, and clearly V5 is THIS simulator recooked yet again.  I put those funds towards something that will actually be substantially different, and by all accounts, significantly better, at least as a starting point w/ some future implied.  I have had stutter-free smooth video since v3.4, so all v5 brings that is really innovative and new, is 'TruSky', unless you were plagued by stutters in prior versions and now aren't.  I don't see paying $200 for TruSky, and being reminded my RTX 2070 might not be ideal.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

And for THIS game, 4.5 is plenty.  I'm ready for a totally new scenery engine and the start of a brand new trajectory, designed around streaming and photoreality, and all of the rest.  

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

On 8/4/2020 at 8:45 AM, spilok said:

I used Windows to find the latest driver for my sound card.  It found the Realtek driver.

Stan

Well, the system shows I already have a best driver. Unfortunately I still have awful stutters occasionally on new PC with few sceneries even flying default planes. I hope new sim will be much better than this one. 

10 minutes ago, skysurfer said:

Well, the system shows I already have a best driver. Unfortunately I still have awful stutters occasionally on new PC with few sceneries even flying default planes. I hope new sim will be much better than this one. 

Although V5 is running a little better, it's STILL NOT as smooth and reliable for ME as is V4.5.  I just don't know what's in V5 that changes the smoothness over V4.5.  But, something is different.  I've redone my CFGs and reinstalled not only the whole V5 H2, but also just Client, Content, and Scenery.  STILL, the smoothness and reliability for ME is not there.  I'll be OK in a few weeks, I'm sure.

Stan

On 8/3/2020 at 11:33 AM, spilok said:

It seems that I remember updating my Nvidia Video Drivers several MONTHS ago when it also had a checkmark for upgrading AUDIO drivers as well. I didn't see it at first, and the audio drivers I had in my computer were updated, unbeknownst to me with generic, horrible drivers.  Although they worked, they were not right for my Jetline computer.  Jetline installed a Realtek High Definition Audio card in my computer and now....my Realtek drivers were nowhere to be found.  The generic drivers were such junk that they definitely interfered with my flights when they stuttered sound.  The sound stuttering caused my video stuttering, pausing and freezing in V5.  Why it didn't affect V4.5 significantly is still a mystery

The drivers that are installed/updated with an nVidia video driver install are the HD Audio drivers that run the HDMI audio channel from the video card.  The nVidia installer won't bother the Realtek drivers.  FWIW, Jetline did not install a Realtek card in your PC...the Realtek audio chip is an integral part of your motherboard, and as such the mobo manufacturer should have supplied them with drivers for that specific device.  It sounds to me like the Realtek drivers that shipped with the mainboard (or more current ones) were never installed, and that the generic driver installed as part of the Windows build was in use.  And if you then installed the driver for the nVidia HD Audio, that second audio device also became active, and that in itself (multiple active audio devices) has been a known problem on some systems.  I always make sure to disable the nVidia HD Audio device in Windows Device Manager after any video driver update so that it won't conflict with the main audio device used for the sim.

Also, make sure there are no 3D transparent windows showing on your screen--e.g. SImconnect windows used by 3rd-party programs like GSX and ATC addons, even the Ctrl-Z stats line(s) showing frame rate etc.  If I open a transparent window, in my case the text dialogue from Radar Contact v4, especially while on the ground on a complex scenery, it starts a regular pattern of stuttering.  Close the window(s)--back to silky smooth.  I don't know if non-simulator windows from 3rd-party utility apps like MSI Afterburner, eVGA Precision etc have that effect, but if this is a DX12 issue, they may.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On 8/3/2020 at 10:24 PM, spilok said:

If so, what jets or airliners do you use, if I may ask?

Stan

Ones that are specifically designed for P3D v5.

If you want airliners that are compatible and smooth in v5, Majestic Q400 and Leonardo MD-82 are your best options.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

On 8/4/2020 at 10:18 PM, Noel said:

Glad I didn't pay another $200 for V5 as V4.5 as amply good enough for THIS simulator, and clearly V5 is THIS simulator recooked yet again.  I put those funds towards something that will actually be substantially different, and by all accounts, significantly better, at least as a starting point w/ some future implied.  I have had stutter-free smooth video since v3.4, so all v5 brings that is really innovative and new, is 'TruSky', unless you were plagued by stutters in prior versions and now aren't.  I don't see paying $200 for TruSky, and being reminded my RTX 2070 might not be ideal.

V5 performs very well compared to v4.5 - as others in this thread have pointed out - and looks like a different sim once TrueSky/EA is on. It also brings a large number of other significant improvements - the worldwide airport upgrades are a seriously underrated feature.

Having said that, you've posted plenty of times that you don't want to try it, so enjoy MSFS!

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

V5 performs very well compared to v4.5 - as others in this thread have pointed out - and looks like a different sim once TrueSky/EA is on. It also brings a large number of other significant improvements - the worldwide airport upgrades are a seriously underrated feature.

Having said that, you've posted plenty of times that you don't want to try it, so enjoy MSFS!

From the OP:  "Although V5 is running a little better, it's STILL NOT as smooth and reliable for ME as is V4.5."

Is there something better than liquid smooth video and freedom from stutters?  Smooth and reliable, everything working predictably and trouble-free, has real value.  v4.5 performs excellently already, so no real incentive there for me.  In the end, it's the same sim we've used since FSX days and v4.5 is already mature enough to enjoy as a desktop simulator.  I haven't given up on v5 permanently as I've said plenty of times--I'm just holding off until I see what MSFS brings to the table.  Installing a new version of P3D entails considerable hours and hours of setup, troubleshooting, and updating so many sceneries and airports and more it's just not going to be worth it for me.  I'll reconsider if MSFS has problems not worth waiting to be addressed, but from everything I've seen so far it should be very much worth the wait.

Edited by Noel

Noel

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

From the OP:  "Although V5 is running a little better, it's STILL NOT as smooth and reliable for ME as is V4.5."

Is there something better than liquid smooth video and freedom from stutters?  Smooth and reliable, everything working predictably and trouble-free, has real value.  v4.5 performs excellently already, so no real incentive there for me.  In the end, it's the same sim we've used since FSX days and v4.5 is already mature enough to enjoy as a desktop simulator.  I haven't given up on v5 permanently as I've said plenty of times--I'm just holding off until I see what MSFS brings to the table.  Installing a new version of P3D entails considerable hours and hours of setup, troubleshooting, and updating so many sceneries and airports and more it's just not going to be worth it for me.  I'll reconsider if MSFS has problems not worth waiting to be addressed, but from everything I've seen so far it should be very much worth the wait.

OK, but v5 is a LOT smoother than v4.5, particularly at airports. Spilok has a problem with his system, he's been having issues for months now and there have been multiple posts. This can create the mistaken impression that there's something wrong with v5 HF2. As many have said here, there's not.

If you've got a good GPU, v5 delivers the goods significantly better than v4.5.  

MSFS is another matter altogether, yes it's going to be awesome, but P3D v5 is still going to do some things much better (airliners, VR) so it's certainly worth sticking with for the foreseeable future in parallel with MSFS. 

Oz

1 minute ago, OzWhitey said:

OK, but v5 is a LOT smoother than v4.5, particularly at airports. Spilok has a problem with his system, he's been having issues for months now and there have been multiple posts. This can create the mistaken impression that there's something wrong with v5 HF2. As many have said here, there's not.

If you've got a good GPU, v5 delivers the goods significantly better than v4.5.  

MSFS is another matter altogether, yes it's going to be awesome, but P3D v5 is still going to do some things much better (airliners, VR) so it's certainly worth sticking with for the foreseeable future in parallel with MSFS. 

Yes I read of his woes.  But once again, I already have liquid smooth performance, and at airports as well, and have for years.  I made peace a long time ago w/ never biting off more than the hardware can chew and don't suffer from any problems running vsync to a 30Hz screen refresh rate.  

One area that has always needed improvement in P3D for me has been the rare 'long frame', which to me always seems like the engine is trying to bite off way more than it can possibly chew at that moment in time, which IMM is a programming defect ultimately.  In the wrong areas in the wrong plane I might see the main thread happily running between 50 and 65% then WHAM, it hits 100% for a few seconds and there comes the long frame, then right back to 50-65%.  The only explanation I have for that is the engine tries to load a sector of terrain w/ objects that the hardware can't possibly cope with at that moment in time.  To me this seems like something that could/should have been addressed a very long ago, perhaps by assessing impact to the main thread and titrating the size of the incoming tile accordingly.   Is this issue now completely gone in v5?   I almost never have these because I setup sliders w/ presets according to where I am flying and in what, so largely avoid these anyway.

Noel