Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Amazing contrast in V4.5 vs V5 for ME!

14 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

OK, but v5 is a LOT smoother than v4.5, particularly at airports. Spilok has a problem with his system, he's been having issues for months now and there have been multiple posts. This can create the mistaken impression that there's something wrong with v5 HF2. As many have said here, there's not.

If you've got a good GPU, v5 delivers the goods significantly better than v4.5.  

MSFS is another matter altogether, yes it's going to be awesome, but P3D v5 is still going to do some things much better (airliners, VR) so it's certainly worth sticking with for the foreseeable future in parallel with MSFS. 

I'm really not having a problem with my "system".  EVERYTHING runs beautifully on it...except V5.  Primarily, you're supposed to use the default planes.  Frankly, I hate the default planes.  I think the overabundance of military fighter planes, military cargos, drones, and an old Maule from FSX makes P3d more of a "game" to satisfy someone other than me.  If I wanted a combat sim, then P3d's choice of default planes would work well for me.   Even though I can comfortably afford $200 for a sim, I feel that spending THAT kind of money for a small upgrade from 4.5 was really not right. What you get is a Beta version of TrueSky and some nicer airports.  After all the stuttering issues that have been well documented on this forum from many others besides me, there was no real value in upgrading IMHO.  True "Simmers", I believe, would have been happier with a commercial airliner from Airbus or Boeing, a Regional and/or Business jet, and some other GA aircraft like Beechcraft, etc.  Flying military jets and other uninteresting planes provokes one to look for more reasonable aircraft from other sources....and paying heavily for V5 acceptable jets on top of the $200 spent for a mere upgrade just doesn't seem worth it to me.

In 4.5, I can add as many planes from free sources as I'd like, and they don't cause any problems whatsoever!  So, you see, I'm not "down" on P3d.  I'm upset with the default choices for planes, AND the inability to add other planes unless they meet some very specific attributes that conform to V5! 

That's pretty much all I have to say on the subject.

Stan

On another tack. I want to try v5 but most posts say that you should have the 2004 Windows upgrade in place.

Try as I may, I cannot get this. I have gone the media creation route but on 3 attemots to run, when it gets to the last stages of "installing", it stops and the does a roll-back.

Any suggestions?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

16 minutes ago, spilok said:

I'm really not having a problem with my "system".  EVERYTHING runs beautifully on it...except V5.  Primarily, you're supposed to use the default planes.  Frankly, I hate the default planes.  I think the overabundance of military fighter planes, military cargos, drones, and an old Maule from FSX makes P3d more of a "game" to satisfy someone other than me.  If I wanted a combat sim, then P3d's choice of default planes would work well for me.   Even though I can comfortably afford $200 for a sim, I feel that spending THAT kind of money for a small upgrade from 4.5 was really not right. What you get is a Beta version of TrueSky and some nicer airports.  After all the stuttering issues that have been well documented on this forum from many others besides me, there was no real value in upgrading IMHO.  True "Simmers", I believe, would have been happier with a commercial airliner from Airbus or Boeing, a Regional and/or Business jet, and some other GA aircraft like Beechcraft, etc.  Flying military jets and other uninteresting planes provokes one to look for more reasonable aircraft from other sources....and paying heavily for V5 acceptable jets on top of the $200 spent for a mere upgrade just doesn't seem worth it to me.

In 4.5, I can add as many planes from free sources as I'd like, and they don't cause any problems whatsoever!  So, you see, I'm not "down" on P3d.  I'm upset with the default choices for planes, AND the inability to add other planes unless they meet some very specific attributes that conform to V5! 

Stan

I rest my case...which always was, it's just not going to be worth the hassle and cost to me personally, after all I've read, and with MSFS looming, to reapply yet another layer of lipstick on the venerable old pig.  I will be up for this for something very new and innovative, but not the old pig right now it's just not going to be worth it.  Plus, to be quite frank, I've always had a hard time w/ Lockheed Martin and the EULA charade, that P3D is really targeted to a commercial audience, and that ultimately we're to feel privileged to be what amounts to paying beta testers for their very long history of incremental upgrades and hot fixes.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

21 minutes ago, spilok said:

Stan

OK, but you said earlier in the thread that you had a problem with a driver. And you've posted previously over the past few months about other problems with your system.

Also, as per earlier in this thread, it seems that you are trying to use a non-compatible addon aircraft to fly in v5. It seems unfair to suggest that there is a problem with stutters in the sim when it's more likely an issue with using a plane that isn't meant to be in v5.

I don't think the "stuttering issues" have been well documented in this forum at all - in fact, if you read this thread I think every (?) poster who has commented on smoothness has had the opposite experience. The general consensus is that v5 gives a solid increase in performance over v4.5

Finally, I don't think there is "very specific attributes" needed for planes in P3D v5 - the only attribute is that they have to be v5 compatible!

I think this clarification is important because it would be a shame if potential v5 users avoid the sim because of alleged stutters, when it's actually the use of incompatible addons which is the problem!

Cheers, and I hope you're happy with v4.5, I understand completely if the available freeware fits your needs better.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

30 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

On another tack. I want to try v5 but most posts say that you should have the 2004 Windows upgrade in place.

Try as I may, I cannot get this. I have gone the media creation route but on 3 attemots to run, when it gets to the last stages of "installing", it stops and the does a roll-back.

Any suggestions?

You should have 2004 but its not a must, 1909 is enough. 2004 has the advantage that i doesn't reserve much VRAM for OS itself so you have a bit more for P3D.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

21 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Finally, I don't think there is "very specific attributes" needed for planes in P3D v5 - the only attribute is that they have to be v5 compatible!

I think this clarification is important because it would be a shame if potential v5 users avoid the sim because of alleged stutters, when it's actually the use of incompatible addons which is the problem!

Rob,

Let me just say that you're doing an admirable job of setting the record straight! Unfortunately, it is threads like this one that keep giving people the impression that V5 is "just lipstick on the old pig".

P3Dv5 HF2 is for me the absolute smoothest sim I've ever had - and I exclusivly fly the FSLabs aircraft. I will surely load MSFS later this month to have a look around, but I'm convinced that the vast majority of my sim time for quite a while will be spent in P3Dv5.

• Like 3

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

4 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

just lipstick on the old pig

The same BS than this "still old ESP engine" fairy tale.

MSFS has very similar folder structure than FSX/P3D ... also "lipstick on the old pig" but just applied with much more thickness?

• Like 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Just now, JoeFackel said:

The same BS than this "still old ESP engine" fairy tale.

MSFS has very similar folder structure than FSX/P3D ... also "lipstick on the old pig" but just applied with much more thickness?

"same old ESP 64-bit DX12 engine" 🙂

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, IanHarrison said:

Any suggestions?

"Most posts" are wrong 🙂

V5 does not need the 2004 Windows update.

Bert

1 hour ago, spilok said:

I'm really not having a problem with my "system".  EVERYTHING runs beautifully on it...except V5.  Primarily, you're supposed to use the default planes.

Where do you get that idea from?

I bet you that none of us fly the default planes, I certainly do not, as a matter of fact, I have deleted most of them from my hangar.

I fly the Baytower RV7A, the Lionheart Kodiak, the RealAir Duke, the Carenado Hawker and PC12, the Alabeo C421, the a2a Bonanza and others... and they all fly great in V5.   🙂

My only tubeliner is the Majestic Q400, and yes, it flies great also.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

2 hours ago, Noel said:

One area that has always needed improvement in P3D for me has been the rare 'long frame', which to me always seems like the engine is trying to bite off way more than it can possibly chew at that moment in time, which IMM is a programming defect ultimately.  In the wrong areas in the wrong plane I might see the main thread happily running between 50 and 65% then WHAM, it hits 100% for a few seconds and there comes the long frame, then right back to 50-65%.  The only explanation I have for that is the engine tries to load a sector of terrain w/ objects that the hardware can't possibly cope with at that moment in time.  To me this seems like something that could/should have been addressed a very long ago, perhaps by assessing impact to the main thread and titrating the size of the incoming tile accordingly.   Is this issue now completely gone in v5?   I almost never have these because I setup sliders w/ presets according to where I am flying and in what, so largely avoid these anyway.

These "scenery loading" pauses have not gone away in V5 although they are less noticeable... I believe this is a Windows I/O priority issue that is still with us after all these years, and I agree should have been addressed a long time ago.  Hopefully, MSFS does not suffer from it.. 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

40 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

These "scenery loading" pauses have not gone away in V5 ... Hopefully, MSFS does not suffer from it.. 😉

Seems a bit optimistic. 🙂  There is only so much that can be done with computer code.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

24 minutes ago, LHookins said:

Seems a bit optimistic. 🙂  There is only so much that can be done with computer code.

Hook

August 18.. 🙂

Or maybe we'll know after we have added a bunch of Orbx scenery addons..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

August 18.. 🙂

I keep telling people, it's still just a flight simulator. 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

OK, but you said earlier in the thread that you had a problem with a driver. And you've posted previously over the past few months about other problems with your system.

Also, as per earlier in this thread, it seems that you are trying to use a non-compatible addon aircraft to fly in v5. It seems unfair to suggest that there is a problem with stutters in the sim when it's more likely an issue with using a plane that isn't meant to be in v5.

I don't think the "stuttering issues" have been well documented in this forum at all - in fact, if you read this thread I think every (?) poster who has commented on smoothness has had the opposite experience. The general consensus is that v5 gives a solid increase in performance over v4.5

Cheers, and I hope you're happy with v4.5, I understand completely if the available freeware fits your needs better.

Wow...Seems like I'm taking a little beating here.  That's OK.  It's still a friendly forum, and I love it.  I think it's good to hear other simmers' opinions.  I've worked a lot on P3dV5 and so far, it doesn't seem all that different from 4.5. Usually, my topics on this forum are positive and hopefully uplifting and contributory.   And for my system (repeat: MY SYSTEM), V5 doesn't run as well for some reason than does 4.5.  Also, it doesn't seem to run as well for me as it does on your systems. Yes, various driver verifications have helped, and I keep trying every day to get V5 to take me long distances without going into stutters.  

I have ABSOLUTELY no problems with flying GA aircraft in V5.  They all work great.  It's only tubeliners and jets that cause my sim to fall apart after so many miles.  I do not own some of the super sophisticated jetliners (ie. PMDG), but I plan on buying that type relatively soon.  I'm just not sure which sim format I will buy those for.   I stand by my statement on the choice of aircraft P3d gave us in this sim.  THAT could really have been improved so that all classes of aircraft were represented and not so heavily weighted to military aircraft.  Again....it's MY opinion. 

Thanks for all your comments.  Hope to be in a better mood soon.

Stan