Sign in to follow this  
Ident

Benefits of Steam, Windows purchase stores

1 minute ago, ludekbrno said:

Ok, we have to wait on 18. August and we will see. But i'm sure, that you will be disapointed and there will be not any advantage with Steam, except that you will see MSFS in a your games list on Steam 🙂 .

And you will be disappointed when you realize UWP is a standard, not a developer choice, thus it'll have the exact same problems as every other UWP game that made people tear their hair out. All while you pay the same and gain no benefits, enjoy 🙂

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6 minutes ago, Sethos said:

And you will be disappointed when you realize UWP is a standard, not a developer choice, thus it'll have the exact same problems as every other UWP game that made people tear their hair out. All while you pay the same and gain no benefits, enjoy 🙂

I enjoy it, because you will don't get any advantage 🙂

Just now, ludekbrno said:

I enjoy it, because you will don't get any advantage 🙂

Ignorance is bliss 😉

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

On 8/6/2020 at 1:04 PM, Paladin2005 said:

In steam you have full access to all game files as in every other game and in FSX and P3D.

In the MS Store, they are encrypted and somehow invisible.  I was never able to locate the files of Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 4.

Could be relevant when we start to finetune CFGs and other files.

But maybe someone found a solution to access the files from the MS Store.

Exactly, people are going to be very surprised how closed down and obnoxious UWP games are to work with. You can be absolutely sure, just like every other sim platform, that we'll be knee deep in third party, file- and config tweaking, plus overlays and framerate cappers. Then the people who thought the two versions were identical, are going to have a lot of fun navigating 10 insanely named folders, tucked away somewhere you need to Google to even find, bob and weave around permissions and realize a lot of things aren't even allowed to hook into the .exe itself. Oh well, I'll sit back with my popcorn and enjoy the drama when that time comes. 

This might be stupid question, but could uwp feature in the steam release?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

4 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

This might be stupid question, but could uwp feature in the steam release?

No, UWP is only through Windows Store games and applications, as it's a core way of interacting and working within Windows 10, cross compatibility with Microsoft's devices etc. so everywhere else will just have a normal file structure and full access. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ludekbrno said:

Ok, we have to wait on 18. August and we will see. But i'm sure, that you will be disapointed and there will be not any advantage with Steam, except that you will see MSFS in a your games list on Steam 🙂 .

I think you might be right, I have a feeling that the "partners" are just selling a marker and the rest is upto MS

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I'm currently using the Microsoft Store and the Game Pass app and they are both horrible and full of bugs. Also a very important factor you cannot enter your game folders this is an absolute no go for flight simulation. I don't know if MSFS will have a workaround for that but not being able the add stuff manually like scenery, aircrafts, liveries, ect. is pretty bad.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Neonx95 said:

Also a very important factor you cannot enter your game folders this is an absolute no go for flight simulation.

this is kinda disturbing, this type of "install" means that you might have to give a purchased app higher level access that OP on your own comp. I have a dedicated sim comp but if you give this type of access on your main comp it's troubling on several levels.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I can’t imagine the overall file structure would be any different based on what store it is purchased in?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

6 hours ago, ludekbrno said:

I'm sure, that folders and files structure (hidden and maybe crypted) will be the same in a both buyig posibilities via MS Store or Steam. It necessary for an on-line actualization etc. MSFS is a modern game, and manual intervention to game folders/files isn't wanted and isn't needed. Every configuration can be set via user interface and add-ons comunication with MSFS via official API. So i'm sure, that there will be not any advantage or difference between buy on MS Store or Steam.

Have to disagree on that one. I am sure for MSFS, being as big as it is, there will be PLENTY of hacks. And like I said with Plague Tale, where I could not change the loading graphics with the Microsoft Store (but could have with Steam), there will be hundreds of little hacks like that. Most unimportant, but a couple will be ones you want, and you will be ticked off that only Steam buyers can do them.

Yeah, reading this thread just reinforced that I will have to buy from Steam, even though I HATE HATE HATE Steam with a passion. But I think I hate the Microsoft store even more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

I can’t imagine the overall file structure would be any different based on what store it is purchased in?

Oh there absolutely is. Which also spawned interesting articles like this; My confusing, 10-day journey to getting a UWP game to work on Windows 10

And UWP apps has great features like; 

Compared to other digital-distribution platforms like Steam, Origin, Battle.net, and Uplay, Microsoft's take is more locked down. You lose fine-tuned control on exactly where you install apps, other than telling Windows 10 which drive you prefer; from there, files are installed wherever Microsoft wants to put them, largely in a "Windows Apps" folder in your Program Files directory—though some crucial files aren't exposed to users by default and require Windows Powershell to expose.

And in that folder, it still doesn't maintain a normal file structure for most of their games. It's weird naming schemes to obfuscate and throw users off, permissions that need to changed throughout the folder, it's a nightmare to work with and just a general headache to troubleshoot. I personally also had a LOT of problems with Forza Horizon under Windows 10, as permissions to even launch it was tied up in my local Windows account, which required me to log in with my Live ID at the time, something I wasn't a big fan of. 

All made much worse with something like a flight sim, that has such a rich history in small community mods, hacks, tweaks and fixes outside of the major third party stuff. You will be doing yourself a huge disservice by getting it on the MS Store. 

Will someone that buys on Steam be able to fly online alongside someone that bought thru MS Store? Shared cockpits? (assuming that feature is made available).

37 minutes ago, Greg R-One said:

Will someone that buys on Steam be able to fly online alongside someone that bought thru MS Store? Shared cockpits? (assuming that feature is made available).

Yes, Steam and MS Store players can fly together. 

• Upvote 1

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals