Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

Any audiophiles in the house?

I sometimes see people mentioning speaker brands like Klipsch and Genelec that do home hi-fi or studio monitors when they talk about their simpits, so was wondering if any other Avsimmers also dip their toes into the expense and inconvenience of audiophilia?

I have a Luxman amp, Denon CD player, Pioneer network player and ATC speakers (I’m in Japan so the electronics are a bit cheaper than they might be in the West, but had to retain some loyalty to British brands hence the speakers).

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Back in the day, I had a Pioneer 1010 receiver, Thorens belt drive turntable (160?) and Advent speakers.

Edited by Doering
  • Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

I used to run my video games through a Sansui AU 9500 amp and JBL L-65 speakers (80 Watts RMS per channel, 20-20K Hz), does that count? 😄 It did wonders for M1 Tank Platoon. 😄😄 

Sadly, both are gone now.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

54 minutes ago, Doering said:

Back in the day, I had a Pioneer 1010 receiver, Thorens belt drive turntable (160?) and Advent speakers.

That’s a bulky receiver. Sure it was a great driver for the Thorens and Advents, America’s answer to the BBC LS3/5A!

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

56 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I used to run my video games through a Sansui AU 9500 amp and JBL L-65 speakers (80 Watts RMS per channel, 20-20K Hz), does that count? 😄 It did wonders for M1 Tank Platoon. 😄😄 

Sadly, both are gone now.

Hook

Sansui and JBL? Yes, they count! Sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

When I was in college back in 1960-64 (where have the years gone?) I put together my "dream" system. Dynakit 70 power amp, Scott 130 preamp, Garrard 301 turntable, Sherwood S-2000 tuner, and a pair of ElectroVoice 3-way 15" floor-standing speakers. There is nothing like the sound of vacuum tubes. I played my collection of jazz albums on that combination all the way up to 2012 when I passed it on to my son (but I kept the vinyl 😊). And never forget, real audio equipment glows in the dark..........Doug

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Got a lot of audio monitoring stuff on account of being into music production at home and a lot of amps and power sources too for the same reason. I tend to use monitoring headphones most of the time for the flight sim, since these don't attempt to 'fancy stuff up', instead giving you the original sound.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I've been into hi-fi since the 70s. But all that kit is downstairs and I have a spare bedroom for my flying so no chance of linking them together.

After years of listening to music via an Yamaha AVR I'm currently auditioning a Naim Supernait 3. Staggering improvement. Britain still good at some things. Speakers are B&W CM4s and music is on a NAS box listened to via a BlueSound Node 2i. So much easier than getting up and changing records. 😁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I hooked up my system to the PC a while back and taking off and landing was awesome especially with the REL G1 turned up.

Sadly I don't have the PC attached to the hifi since the hifi is used for big tv - films and music. The NAS provides most music but I am currently recording vinyl via the Devialet.

rega rp10/Aphelion, Devialet 440 monoblocks, Spendor D9 & REL G1 subsonic.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

Dynakit 70 power amp, Scott 130 preamp, Garrard 301 turntable, Sherwood S-2000 tuner, and a pair of ElectroVoice 3-way 15" floor-standing speakers.

That’s quite a system to bequeath. I mean, the Garrard alone...

Haven’t had valves yet, but am determined to do so at least once in my life.

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm currently auditioning a Naim Supernait 3.

I grew up near Salisbury where Naim are based and it was a teenage dream to one day work for them, but looking back on it I’ve never actually heard them! Impressions against the Yamaha?

33 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Spendor D9

Spendors were on my shortlist along with the usual suspects (Harbeth, PMC, Graham) before I eventually went for the ATCs. They’ll probably be there on the next shortlist too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Haven’t had valves yet, but am determined to do so at least once in my life.

Worth it for guitar amps certainly, although they are heavy and you have to wait a while for them to cool down before moving them is advisable because they're fairly fragile when hot.

Lots of times with audio, even without valves, older stuff is better. That's true with analogue synths such as the Jupiter 8, although I'd draw the line at Mellotrons. Mellotrons are cool, they're like something out of a bizarre steampunk novel, and Led Zeppelin and the Cocteau Twins would have been lost without them, not forgetting the Strawberry Fields forever intro too of course, but the modern software emulations of them don't need constant maintenance.

That's one occasion where newer technology has vastly improved matters from a practical standpoint. A tranny amp won't give you a hernia 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I’ve built up a vintage Sony ES system from the golden era for Sony high end  of the  early 90’s. 

F707ES amp,

K808ES cassette deck , I love listening to cassette.

X505ES CD player

S707ES tuner

PS-X555ES turntable 

All played through massive Sony SS-F80 ES floorstanders that I bought off eBay from Germany and shipped over on a pallet with the help of google translate.

I’ve  plumbed in a modern DAC/headphone amp ( ZH1ES ) and headphones (Z1R)from the Sony signature series.

I also have a multichannel / home cinema system running through an Arcam AVR600 amp and Arcam D33 DAC with Sony 5400ES SACD and 5400ES amp as a multichannel decoder/pre amp Running through monitor audio silver 5.1 speaker package.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

35 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

I grew up near Salisbury where Naim are based and it was a teenage dream to one day work for them, but looking back on it I’ve never actually heard them! Impressions against the Yamaha?

Night and day. The Naim has real authority. Bass I've never heard before thinking the B&Ws weren't capable of delivering it but with the right amp they are. More dynamic sound too. I am able to combine home cinema DD5.1 with stereo music and get the best of both world's with an amp with HT bypass. Pre-outs from the Yamaha go into AV input on the Naim. Front L/R connect to the Naim.

That option wasn't around 20 years ago when I first got into home cinema. My first Naim although I want to hear the XS3 before making a final decision.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather