Sign in to follow this  
JonRD463

Add-on payware and FSX

Guest jero

>With respect Jason, the Windows updates thing... - that's more>comparable to say service packs we all got for the PMDG, LDS>and other products we all got free.>>I bought the 744 relatively late, in February of this year - I>do not expect a free update. I bought it for fs9 as>advertised, and I've had a blast I might add.>>Here's my general analogy: I buy an '04 Camry (fs9) and in 06>get an after market whatsiz (PMDG744) designed specifically>for an 04 Camry>>When I buy an 07 Camry (FSX) I then go back to the whatsiz>dealer and expect a free 'upgrade' to fit my redesigned 07>Camry?>>To me, the time I bought it is irrelevant as well - I got what>was clearly advertised. It's a nice thing to do to give stuff>free to customers, but at the end of the day all I expect is>value for my money at the time of purchase - period.> >regards,>Mark>http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg>XPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1024mb/X700pro256I disagree, you must also consider the market in which add-on devs are releasing their product. I am in charge of software purchasing for my dept. All most all software I buy for the develpment of our products only give "service packs for one year" My anology towards windows update is the same thing, they don't have but they do. Most do not want a new 747 we want the one we bought, what that involves is up to the likes of PMDG.. however the point being is this: If its only a new installer to change file paths and a few lines of code then there should be consideration of it being free!! I mean the service packs for windows often weigh in at over 200MB and contain up to a years worth of coding yet they are free.I don't get the VSpec free for my skyline, but then I can drive my Skyline on any road without it. Its horses for courses is all I am saying, its a question of judgment and fairness all round.So with respect I think you missed my point!! If you want to keep FS2002 FS9 and FSX on your system go ahead, Id rather have just FSX with pathced but working FS9 code in FSX whilst I wait, and if the patches are free or fairly priced i think FS can only go from strength to strength..This very same argument rages and rages every time as new FS is released. Yes Aces do not upgrade FS9 for us for free, but they patch it for free!! Why should they, I mean if in 6 months time they decide to add new features should they not charge, if its to fix bugs so what it still works as advertised right. I does not say on the box you can fly to KTEX and not have CTD, yet that may happen!!!But i can bet you wont pay for the fix or patch..To my mind a change of file paths and maybe one or 2 very minor things do not or should I say I dont think warrent a price of half of the orignal price.. But maybe thats becuase I am a fair guy.And yes if it was my company I would issue a free patch in the critera covered in my posts.I JUST WANT TO SAY I AM MERELY USING PMDG AS AN EXAMPLE ADD-ON. I AM IN NO WAY JIBING THEM!!!!Jason

Guest Logan826

Jason, Thank you. well said. This is exactly my point, I guess I just didn't use the correct wording as Jason has.Dan

Guest Logan826

"Your facts are wrong Dan. There is no PMDG 737 "upgrade" for FSX, free or otherwise. The current PMDG 737 is an obsolete aircraft that's being completely redone. It's a whole new aircraft, not an "upgrade". And, that's why it isn't being offered "free" to anyone who happens to now own the old one." As someone else stated. I'm just using PMDG as an example, because they are the ones that stated that there will be no free upgrades for any of their products. Flight1 stated that their updated would be free. I'm using these two companies as examples. I love PMDG's planes, I have several, same with Flight 1 packages. I guess I'm just tired of companies milking us for everything they can when it comes to computer software, updates, upgrades, patches. A great example of being ripped off every year is EA Sports Madden series. Every year they charge the going rate of games (this year it's $50+ USD) for nothing more then a roster update and a little bit of graphics eyecandy. Now it's bleeding into my other hobby, flightsimming. We pay out the butt for hardware to run these flight sims, then we are expected to pay more to use our favorite a/c in the new versions. Trust me I fully understand cost of business. Here's my thoughts on this. You give the faithfull exsistings customers free upgrades or patches, this way you keep these customers to spend more money on other products you offer because now they trust your services. Your going to make money on the new customers you going to get because of word of mouth. You're rebuilding the software anyway and going to make money on the news sales, so it's not like you losing anything by giving your exsisting customers something free, you had to do the work anyway.Just my thoughts, sorry if I started a war of this.Dan

Dan you did not have to purchase the PMDG product. Is says clearly on their site, and the packaging, that it runs on FS9. You were aware that FSX was due out yet still bought it. Did you enquire before purchase if there would be a free upgrade?The ball was always in your court buddy.CheersSteve

>Here's my general analogy: I buy an '04 Camry (fs9) and in 06>get an after market whatsiz (PMDG744) designed specifically>for an 04 Camry>>When I buy an 07 Camry (FSX) I then go back to the whatsiz>dealer and expect a free 'upgrade' to fit my redesigned 07>Camry?>>To me, the time I bought it is irrelevant as well - I got what>was clearly advertised. It's a nice thing to do to give stuff>free to customers, but at the end of the day all I expect is>value for my money at the time of purchase - period.> >regards,>MarkThis analogy is spot on, and it seems this comes up every time there's a new FS version. For those of you who buy tons of payware, do you honestly think that you've got a for-life subscription to the work the developers are doing? The choice to spend X amount of dollars was your own, and it was for a product with specific functionality, i.e. "for FS2004". Using some of the logic I see in this thread, any situation could be applied and the ridiculousness amplified. If it were true, then I have a lot of work cut out for me, because:Mr. Coffee has upgraded the coffee pot I use.GE has a newer model of Microwave than mine.Makita's got a new version of the power saw I own.Murray's upgraded their riding lawnmowers (even more applicable: My accessories had BETTER work for it, or I'm calling for a boycott!)The fountain pen I got as an Atta-Boy! from work is obselete.Every airline flying a 737 that's not a New Generation variant is owed BIG TIME!Sure, everything I listed is a "stand-alone" product, but it still fits.