Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Q for testers : FS20 streaming from satellite

My internet connection (end of ADSL line) is dreadful and as usual the local pols are bigger in words than in deeds. Fiber was for 2020. Now 2021... My 4g voice reception is nothing to talk about either (pun not intended). I may try though but also looking into a satellite internet reception.  Are any of you testers streaming the sim from a satellite internet provider ?  Anything good or bad to say ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I think satellite internet tends to struggle with latency, that wouldn't be an issue for scenery streaming and weather but it would make a mess of multiplayer.

Also there is the cost, my understanding is most satellite internet connections are charged by the GB (or capped)

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

There is NO WAY I'd try this with my previous satellite connection.  12 MBps and a 25 gig per month monthly data cap.  It would cost me $10 per gig if I wanted to go above that.  Not to mention my family used 2/3 of that every month.  Now consider that I was using 0.5 to 1 gig per hour for streaming data in flight.

Satellite is the broadband of last resort, if no other broadband is available.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Thanks both.

We get the TV  with a sat provider which does not carry the internet . So the new sat subscription would be limited to the daily browsing, downloading and streaming (FS20 and music) of two people. A German outfit skyDSL  offers in France 40 Mbps max for 30 € per month, unlimited (still to understand what they mean by Fair-use-Policy though).

From your FS experience, Larry, I should  spend not more than 120/150 Gb per months top.

Latency shouldn't be a problem for me. I don't play shooters online and never been a great fan of FS MP (that may change, we'll see).

You are right its a broadband of last resort but I do not see other solution at that time. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

If it's unlimited, a fair use policy would mean they don't want you to host a server which would use excessive traffic.  If you only use the Internet when you're actually at the computer you are probably OK, but check with the provider.

My 12/25 cost me $138 per month.

Latency is probably going to be around 650 ms.  The biggest problem with that is handshaking takes a long time with several round trips and https protocol.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

4G+ connections can deliver up to 500Mbps with low latency, you have to get an external antenna (YAGI), point it correctly and a modem that can aggregate bands, if you can get a sim card with Flat internet in France, that's way better than satellite or ADSL.

I can link you a forum thread but it's in Italian language.

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

1 minute ago, EmaRacing said:

4G+ connections can deliver up to 500Mbps with low latency, you have to get an external antenna (YAGI), point it correctly and a modem that can aggregate bands, if you can get a sim card with Flat internet in France, that's way better than satellite or ADSL.

I can link you a forum thread but it's in Italian language.

Thanks.  I look into that first. Not too optimistic though. The geographic location of my house, hills, trees etc is not very good for 4g. An external antenna might help indeed. 

Dominique

1 minute ago, Dominique_K said:

The geographic location of my house, hills, trees etc is not very good for 4g. An external antenna might help indeed. 

That's the good thing about 4G compared to FWA, you don't need line of sight with the BTS (cellphone antenna) for it to work.

• Like 1

GarbagePoster

27 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

That's the good thing about 4G compared to FWA, you don't need line of sight with the BTS (cellphone antenna) for it to work.

FWA ? 

You mean an antenna on the roof linked to a 4g box would be bring me a significantly  better 4g connection than the one I have on my iPhone for voice and Safari ? 

Another element is that the mobile providers are not very competitive vis-à-vis the sat provider. First approach though. Got to look seriously into all this.

So thanks for the help. I am sure I am not alone to see FS20 coming with a crappy connection.

Dominique

13 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

FWA ? 

You mean an antenna on the roof linked to a 4g box would be bring me a significantly  better 4g connection than the one I have on my iPhone for voice and Safari ? 

Another element is that the mobile providers are not very competitive vis-à-vis the sat provider. First approach though. Got to look seriously into all this.

So thanks for the help. I am sure I am not alone to see FS20 coming with a crappy connection.

FWA ? 
>Fixed Wireless Access(some ISPs offer this in remote areas, you need a satellite tv-like dish but only works if your antenna has line of sight contact with their antenna[no trees/buildings, even a tree branch disrupts the signal])

>Yes, WAY better, because modems (e.g. Huawei 525 or 535) are way more sensitive thasn phones, and they can aggregate multiple bands, a directional (MIMO) antenna gives you better reception and can be pointed to the cellphone tower that gives you the best speeds.

>That might be a problem, we just started seeing true 4G flat plans here in Italy at human prices, they go for 20 to 30€/month for true flat with unlimited speed, this is a life saver, the cities are covered ok with FTTC or FTTH, but in the small villages it's either 1Gbps FTTH or 1Mbps ADSL in the next village/street with no apparent logic behind it.

>yep, here I'm on 2x200Mbps connections, but I'm moving to the countryside, plus I had to do the same on a vacation house and I've been forced to become an expert on the subject.

GarbagePoster