Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Froogle's Hands-On Preview of MSFS2020

1 hour ago, Heli said:

I wish people were smart enough to understand the limitations of aerial photogrammetrry, or the use of AI to stretch out an artifical z axis from satellite imagery.  I can easily understand and live with the imperfections such as blocky bridges and traffic not lining up perfevtly with the roads.  The fidelity required for photogrammetry to render every crevice and recessed opening such as wireform structures, trees, stacked bridges, overpasses, etc is impossible right now, why is it so few can understand this?  Asobo accomplished a great thing here. 

I don't know, but it's annoying enough to make the beta forums unbearable at times. By this point, every tester should know what can and can't be done, including how the scenery itself is processed (AI vs. photogrammetry regions), yet there are constant threads about how this "super popular landmark in my home town" isn't rendered or how this bridge isn't represented right (and it's the same 10-15 people over and over).

At the end of the day, the only way you'll enjoy this sim is if you recognize its limitations. P3D has massive limitations. XP11 has big limitations. But when it comes to MSFS, there's this cabal that simply can't get that through their heads that yes, this is a truly technological leap, but that it is still limited.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, UAL4life said:

Saw a bunch of classic P3D auto gen pop ins in his video. “Hello old friend!”

again, it's because the scenery is layered according to bandwidth settings and cache. Just because he's flying in Renton doesn't mean he should be instantly downloading the entire state in photogrammetry real time. Personally I don't want to be downloading 4Tb of data at 1Gbps for a 20 min flight it's just not feasible.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, bonchie said:

(biggest issue with the planes right now is AP issues). 

These are the type things i would like to see fixed.  AP is pretty major for a lot of people's flight experience.  I don't care about some scenery flaws here and there. 

• Like 2

The nit I have to pick here is that he chooses to fly in the EXACT same spot where the preview event took place and the first video he made about it.

So the video has little new value.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Farlis said:

The nit I have to pick here is that he chooses to fly in the EXACT same spot where the preview event took place and the first video he made about it.

The worst video I've seen. Froogle struggling for credibility nowadays. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

again, it's because the scenery is layered according to bandwidth settings and cache. Just because he's flying in Renton doesn't mean he should be instantly downloading the entire state in photogrammetry real time. Personally I don't want to be downloading 4Tb of data at 1Gbps for a 20 min flight it's just not feasible.

Nor would I, but still it’s nice to see an old pal like that 🙂

3 hours ago, UAL4life said:

Saw a bunch of classic P3D auto gen pop ins in his video. “Hello old friend!”

froogle mentioned that you will be able to save all textures of area you fly into a cache folder for later to load more quickly......i think cache+SSD drive will remove pop-in for most or everyone......we will see in 2 weeks 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Heli said:

I wish people were smart enough to understand the limitations of aerial photogrammetrry, or the use of AI to stretch out an artifical z axis from satellite imagery.  I can easily understand and live with the imperfections such as blocky bridges and traffic not lining up perfevtly with the roads.  The fidelity required for photogrammetry to render every crevice and recessed opening such as wireform structures, trees, stacked bridges, overpasses, etc is impossible right now, why is it so few can understand this?  Asobo accomplished a great thing here. 

Partial blame must on the expectations of customers as driven by Microsoft and Asobo promotions in their series looking at different aspects of the program. I believe the expectations were set once they started showing videos of the Seattle area, and other high rendered cities..

Advertisers show us the most glamorous renderings without revealing the makeup of the systems used to do so and in order to increase potential sales.. If we don't have the program in our hands to test these claims, then naturally the previews are going to be disappointing to some when they watch these preview videos flying in less detailed areas. Take for example my Airport NZAA - in the current default rendering it is surrounded by trees where there are none, and most of the default building are not even close to actual. 

As for myself. I note Asobo will undertake free updates of the global terrain in successive updates - so there will be plenty of time to fine tune global scenery in the future - so I am not too concerned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FPStewy said:

So how does this work???

The user can decide how much they want streamed, and this affects the pop in scenery. In other words, if I max the data stream, I can increase the view distance around my plane?

Seattle... again 🤦‍♂️

Somebody please do SE Asia...  Manila (RPLL) <--> Boracay (RPVE),  or Bangkok VTBS/VTBD <--> Phuket (VTSP),  or Singapore(WSSS), or Bali (WADD)  🙏

Sick of seeing USA and Europe. 🥱

Yeah I know Quill18 did a city in Mindanao (PH), but it was short (and not that interesting), plus his constant "squawking" like a parrot 🦜... I just couldn't take it 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Matthew S

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

He wanted to compare I think.

Given that he was originally skeptical of MSFS, and he is now talking about reviving his channel with new MSFS content, i think that is a good sign that most will be pleased with the release version.

MSFS public relations / marketing team really nailed the communication (trailers, discovery series, Alpha testers,YT reviewer early access) to counter any long term negative press / rumors that would affect sales. That playbook was flawless.... 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, bonchie said:

He wanted to compare I think.

Then he should have done so on his own, instead of repeating content. 😉

16 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Then he should have done so on his own, instead of repeating content. 😉

I mean, he doesn't work for us. He said he's got a bunch of other videos coming.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Flic1 said:

His video was nearly unwatchable for me with the jarring movement from his Track IR.......not sure how people can fly with those types of settings as it even turned upside-down a few times.....pass me the sick bag!

I gave up after about 30-seconds for the same reason. Didn't know about the track ir, thought he just had a nervous hand.

• Like 1