Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Mesh and double shadow

Along the weeks, since June ‘19, two recurring issues came up in our discussions around the updates : mesh as it seems good on some places not so much in other places and double shadows due the baked in ones in most of  the sat imagery. 

I have not seen preview vids commenting on these two issues. But so many of them, can’t see them all. Any thought ?

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

30 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Along the weeks, since June ‘19, two recurring issues came up in our discussions around the updates : mesh as it seems good on some places not so much in other places and double shadows due the baked in ones in most of  the sat imagery. 

I have not seen preview vids commenting on these two issues. But so many of them, can’t see them all. Any thought ?

Yes, it's an integral parts of satellite imagery captured in a many diverse conditions. There allways will be shadows of the mountains, shadows of the clouds, shadow of the buildings or shadows of the trees. And for more, there will be a cars on the roads or parkings, ships on water and many more diverse objects, what AI can't detect and mask. Unfortunately, there isn't any way to clear everything perfectly and there is exist only one possibility, accept it. Everyone should understand it, or will be disapointed. But there will be exist some gradual progress, because AI is still learning and will get better satellite images in further future.

Edited by ludekbrno
  • Like 2

Yes, I think it’s now pretty evident from the released videos that mesh is a bit of an issue in some places, as we already speculated some months ago. The only comment I remember is by ObsidianAnt. In his Antarctica video he remarked that some mountains were a bit rounded. 

I hope they say something about that in the next feature discovery episode. Maybe the TomTom partnership update that‘s currently going on can bring some improvements. Or maybe we‘ll be able to update it locally.

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Yes, I remember the double shadows were a 'hot' issue a while ago. Having watched almost every new video, luckily to me the double shadows are not very noticable. And if they are there, they're static and don't catch the eye that much.

What does catch the eye is when scenery suddenly pops or changes in the field of view. But that's something we may have to do with, as a trade off for having the whole world in great detail at our fingertips, which is a major accomplishment. 

Edited by RudyB24
  • Like 1

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

26 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Yes, I think it’s now pretty evident from the released videos that mesh is a bit of an issue in some places, as we already speculated some months ago. The only comment I remember is by ObsidianAnt. In his Antarctica video he remarked that some mountains were a bit rounded. 

I hope they say something about that in the next feature discovery episode. Maybe the TomTom partnership update that‘s currently going on can bring some improvements. Or maybe we‘ll be able to update it locally.

Thank you Shack ! FS20 is then in a long tradition of FS releases,  a generation of mesh behind.  The next question to Asobo is, ll FS20 lends itself to a TPD mesh ? In any case, those who think that the era of 3rd party addon is over are mistaken !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

27 minutes ago, wim123 said:

there is no doubt here , there will be coming better meshes.

if we ask for them my friend, only we ask for them.

5 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Can mesh files with FSX or P3D coding be used?

I doubt it as it is a brand new terrain. My worry is, would a TPD mesh bring havoc to the airports runways and taxiway (troughs and plateaus) as it did in the FSX/P3D family. I look forward to have a look at the SDK tools in this regard. 

Dominique

Given that the terrain is currently covered with wild and dense forest everywhere it hides the baked shadows pretty effectively 😜

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I doubt it as it is a brand new terrain. My worry is, would a TPD mesh bring havoc to the airports runways and taxiway (troughs and plateaus) as it did in the FSX/P3D family. I look forward to have a look at the SDK tools in this regard. 

Out of my ignorance I've always wondered if having elevation data as "relative to mesh" instead of absolute would not be a better option for scenery layers "above" meshes to reduce these problems... 

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

2 hours ago, ludekbrno said:

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to clear everything perfectly and there is exist only one possibility, accept it. Everyone should understand it, or will be disapointed. But there will be exist some gradual progress, because AI is still learning and will get better satellite images in further future.

Hey Ludek 

I take exception of that kind of reasoning : Accept it... Everyone should understand it, or will be disapointed.  I am more in tune with Bruce Springsteen  : No retreat, baby, no surrender 🤣 !

I do understand it all right, I will not be disappointed and, at the same time,  I don't accept it, go figure 😉 ! There is a way to clear the baked in stuff (ships, cars, shadows) and you underlined it , AI deep learning. 

I am sure that the FS20 team is as annoyed as some of us by this and will work on it. But we also must show our desire for improvement .

12 minutes ago, Marco Manieri said:

Out of my ignorance I've always wondered if having elevation data as "relative to mesh" instead of absolute would not be a better option for scenery layers "above" meshes to reduce these problems... 

I am not sure that I follow you, Marco. The mesh is the elevation map. And the main issue is in the ESP that you cannot but have flat runways (except in v5 as I understand but thats very  new and not yet really experimented on a large scale). 

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

I doubt it as it is a brand new terrain.

Is it though? The rendering is new, but the display engine itself, does not seem to have changed that much as far as I understand.