Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The Phenomenal Weather System in Microsoft Flight Simulator!

25 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Hey look, a video showing how amazing everything looks!

Everybody is instantly getting blind for small but important details. But hey, at least while paused you get a great looking screenshot!

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/578988-still-worried-about-the-flight-model-how-planes-move/

Chris

31 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

No because the planes i use to fly have proper inertia effects.

What is "proper" interia? Small planes get thrown around all the time in bad weather. 

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

3 minutes ago, Slides said:

What is "proper" interia? Small planes get thrown around all the time in bad weather. 

Yes but it feels/looks different than what ive seen in MSFS so far. Even the video showing the Cirrus getting bumped all over is a difference. Can't tell you exactly why but having played so many sims in my life to know how the inertia feels in the sim as well how it feels in real life.

Its just how it looks to me...

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

7 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Yes but it feels/looks different than what ive seen in MSFS so far. Even the video showing the Cirrus getting bumped all over is a difference. Can't tell you exactly why but having played so many sims in my life to know how the inertia feels in the sim as well how it feels in real life.

Its just how it looks to me...

Maybe it's because this is the first sim that models the airflow disruption of the weather system which also impacts the aerodynamics of the aircraft. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

7 minutes ago, Slides said:

Maybe it's because this is the first sim that models the airflow disruption of the weather system which also impacts the aerodynamics of the aircraft. 

Maybe. We'll see.

I can rememeber turning the effectiveness of all controlsurfaces down in FSX to get a more "heavy" feeling. Even for some 3rd party ones.

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

For the first time in my flight simming years, I am actually terrified of flying in bad weather now. That footage exactly shows how it is to be stuck in ifr conditions. I also noticed at times there were very thick patches of rain. Its mental if they are simulating cloud bursts.

• Like 2

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

If so... I hope you can turn it off. Knowing me, I will find it very annoying. 

Things like that, motion blur and depth of field are the first things I turn off in games. 

• Upvote 1

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

Never had I in any of the many sims of mine the sensation of danger I see in the first segment of this video. Really impressive. Just a game hey ? 

1 hour ago, snglecoil said:

Hey look, a video of the amazing weather system...

Avsim users spend the rest of the thread talking about flight dynamics....again. 😉

We are pursuing the unreachable  goal of experiencing in our chair what you enjoy in real life . Flying sensations. Bear with us 😉 . Asobo raised the bar with their EP 2 aerodynamics. Their fault 😀 ! 

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

21 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

For the first time in my flight simming years, I am actually terrified of flying in bad weather now. That footage exactly shows how it is to be stuck in ifr conditions. I also noticed at times there were very thick patches of rain. Its mental if they are simulating cloud bursts.

Not only are they simulating cloud bursts they are realtime and so you can see the walls of rain moving with the cells

It looks pretty good to me. To complete the effect though they need to have the mouse cursor randomly jump up or down a bit when you reach for a button or switch.

Has anyone seen if the precipitation changes from rain to snow as you climb above the freezing level?  This is something that really bothers me in the current sims.

Brian W

KPAE

1 hour ago, Joyal said:

I was watching this at 5:15 Mark. I can't tell what different between that and the game. 

Yep, well illustrated, but the camera's moving too - so is hand held. So I guess that's what we've got in the sim.

It all looks pretty good to me. Pretty life-like.

1 hour ago, Slides said:

This might indeed be a valid point. Most other sims don't model weather very accurately. But weather is just as important for accurate flight modeling as the flight dynamics of the plane. A plane rarely flies through ideal conditions.

MSFS seems to be doing the right things, but while I am a big defender of MSFS, I partly have to agree with @ThomseN_inc. There definitely seems to be a problem with inertia that needs fixing.

• Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

8 minutes ago, tweekz said:

This might indeed be a valid point. Most other sims don't model weather very accurately. But weather is just as important for accurate flight modeling as the flight dynamics of the plane. A plane rarely flies through ideal conditions.

MSFS seems to be doing the right things, but while I am a big defender of MSFS, I partly have to agree with @ThomseN_inc. There definitely seems to be a problem with inertia that needs fixing.

Yes, Inertia looks to be the starting point for finessing things.

Chock's posts are valid - as is my own experience of taking aircraft (Pilot NOT flying) through rough weather.

The wings just don't flick about like that.

Come on ASOBO - you're so close. . . close that gap, and make it good.

• Like 2

No doubt the wx looks very impressive but oh man that shaking/juddering is just horrible. I dearly hope theres an option to turn that off permanently. It makes it feel like thats a little RC plane being blown about in a gale or that the planes mounted on a platform programmed to judder every 5 to 10 sec!