Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Windows 10 Sound Just Goes Off Middle of a Flight

Anyone any idea why all of a sudden, the sound output while flying an aircraft in P3Dv4.5 just goes off? Is this a Windows 10 issue?

Windows 10 x64 Pro, and only 2 days ago I updated the Realtek drivers from Realtek's website that took over 2 hours just to download a 252Mb driver file!!

I am stumped what else it can be as I have to jiggle the speaker cable to get sound back, so that tells me the on-board sound from the Asus Z87A motherboard is there, but why does Windows 10 just cut it off after say 1/2 hour in the sim?

Rick Almeida

"Jiggle the speaker cable" seems more like a cable or connector problem.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bobbyjack said:

"Jiggle the speaker cable" seems more like a cable or connector problem.

Thanks, Bob. I too thought the same, but inexplicably,the sound always turns off like regular clockwork, after say 1/2 hour at cruise or descent levels, any aircraft, be it the PMDG stable or the FSL stable, or so in P3D, as well as sometimes kicking in a few minutes after a YT  playback when there has been no activity on the desktop.

Edited by vc10man

Rick Almeida

2 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Thanks, Bob. I too thought the same, but inexplicably,the sound always turns off like regular clockwork, after say 1/2 hour at cruise or descent levels, any aircraft, be it the PMDG stable or the FSL stable, or so in P3D, as well as sometimes kicking in a few minutes after a YT  playback when there has been no activity on the desktop.

Are they USB Speakers?

• Like 1

Dave-Aerosoft-Signature-500x125.png

27 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Are they USB Speakers?

If they are USB then find that USB item in Control Panel, Device Manager, and click properties.  Check the Power Management and if it is set to allow Windows to turn the device off to save power then deselect that.  Likely listed under Audio Inputs and Outputs.

That power management issue used to give me fits with my Saitek panels.

Frank Patton
MSI Z490 WiFi MOB;  i7 10700k Comet Lake 3.8 Ghz CPU; Ripjaws 32 gb DDR4 3600; ASUS GTX 1070 TI Turbo 8GB; MasterCase H500M; Corsair H100i Pro cooler; Corsair RMX850X PSU; ASUS VG289 4K 27"; Honeycomb Alpha Yoke A+.  Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor; AOPA Member #07379126 
                        There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit! - Benjamin Jowett

Thanks, Frank. Already one step ahead in that train of thoughts too, but no, they are a pair of mains-powered speakers, MicroLab, I bought to augment the smaller output Altec Lansing speakers that were provided by Gateway Computers(USA) with the system way back in 1995, as I wanted to play the guitar recordings through them.

Now,oddly enough, just watched a US YouTube serial for the last hour and quarter---and no audio drop-out, but the minute I am in P3D, all of a sudden in the FS2Crew Pre-Flight, or during a cruise, etc, the audio drops out for no apparent reason, as well as at other times as already stated in previous post.

Now, I did once have a pure Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy2 Z5 soundcard in the system, which I removed. But Windows 10 has been updated with the Fall Creators Update so that should have eliminated any traces of that.

Rick Almeida

54 minutes ago, fppilot said:

If they are USB then find that USB item in Control Panel, Device Manager, and click properties.  Check the Power Management and if it is set to allow Windows to turn the device off to save power then deselect that.  Likely listed under Audio Inputs and Outputs.

That power management issue used to give me fits with my Saitek panels.

Exactly!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, vc10man said:

Thanks, Frank. Already one step ahead in that train of thoughts too, but no, they are a pair of mains-powered speakers, MicroLab, I bought to augment the smaller output Altec Lansing speakers that were provided by Gateway Computers(USA) with the system way back in 1995, as I wanted to play the guitar recordings through them.

Now,oddly enough, just watched a US YouTube serial for the last hour and quarter---and no audio drop-out, but the minute I am in P3D, all of a sudden in the FS2Crew Pre-Flight, or during a cruise, etc, the audio drops out for no apparent reason, as well as at other times as already stated in previous post.

Now, I did once have a pure Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy2 Z5 soundcard in the system, which I removed. But Windows 10 has been updated with the Fall Creators Update so that should have eliminated any traces of that.

I have to say this is a good one Rick, one none of us are likely to come across again anytime soon.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Check the properties of your Speaker device via control panel.

One some sound cards, there is a setting on the Advanced tab, called
"Allow applications to take exclusive control"

I have always turned this off.

I think it means that if you start up another program, it may well take control of your audio device, and possibly stop or block other pre-exisitng apps from broadcasting audio data.

Given that some add ons might send audio direct to your default audio device, instead of via P3D's audio routines, it could be that these other apps external to P3D are controlling the audio, at the exclusion of P3D.

There is something similar for audio in/microphone settings as well, which might impact add ons such as vatsim client etc.

Regards

David

7 hours ago, c912039 said:

"Allow applications to take exclusive control"

That's a very good call David!  But since his sound is initially working (working at the start of each session) and then dies off about 30 minutes later I don't believe that would be the exclusivity setting.  Still, a very good recommendation to try!

On 8/4/2020 at 7:46 AM, vc10man said:

Anyone any idea why all of a sudden, the sound output while flying an aircraft in P3Dv4.5 just goes off? Is this a Windows 10 issue?

Windows 10 x64 Pro, and only 2 days ago I updated the Realtek drivers from Realtek's website that took over 2 hours just to download a 252Mb driver file!!

I am stumped what else it can be as I have to jiggle the speaker cable to get sound back, so that tells me the on-board sound from the Asus Z87A motherboard is there, but why does Windows 10 just cut it off after say 1/2 hour in the sim?

Rick,

I was thinking about this more last night, and there are two other things that come to mind.

1. Check and ensure that "Do Nothing" is selected in the Windows-Sound-Communications Tab.

2. Whether you are running  a Sound Card (external or PCI) or simply using the sound chip on the motherboard, there could be a micro-fracture which expands when the device heats up during use.  There are a few ways to test and if necessary correct this.

a. Does all sound stop?  If "yes", proceed to "b". If "no" then this is almost certainly a software and configuration related issue, though this is unlikely since sound works normally

b. If all sound stops, open the Windows Sound-Playback tab, find the P3D output device you have selected in P3D and see if the bars turn green and fluctuate when sound is generated by P3D.  This will confirm that P3D is indeed sending the audio signals even though they aren't being heard.

If nothing else, the above should help you determine if this is a hardware issue.

If this is a hardware issue (a likely micro-fracture) on the motherboard then you can try adding an external or PCI based sound card (in other words, you won't have to replace your motherboard).  You can also do this merely as a test and if you do so then I recommend making a backup of your system disk before engaging in the test (if adding a sound card doesn't result in a change/improvement then you can always return it).  Creating a restore point may be all you need to do to ensure you can return  your system back to the previous state after trying a Sound Card however I'm not familiar with hardware and software for each type of sound card so I recommend going the extra mile here and either backup (image or clone) your system disk before trying a sound card.  My favorite freeware for creating an image or clone is the free edition of Macrium Reflect.

I hope this is helpful to you Rick!