Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Popping Texture Morphing

Recommended Posts

There is a quite prominent popping texture morphing in this video while he is cruising over Seattle, in particular when approaching Boeing Field (starting around 8:00).

 

Since I haven't noticed this issue so prominently in other videos I wonder where this comes from.

- Is this issue bounded to photogrammetry areas or does it happen outside these areas as well?

- Is there a graphic setting to avoid this issue (LOD-distance or similar)?

- Is it an issue with a slow bandwidth?

- Can it be avoided by caching the area?

 

Actually to me this popping morphing is very annoying. One of the pet peeves of P3D for me and I'm quite concerned to see this in MSFS as well now. I do still hope though that it can be at least minimized in some way.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scenery is currently being updated pretty much 24/7 at the moment. My own home airport never looks the same twice. But these change-on-the-fly issues will soon settle down. Caching does indeed resolve this problem, which, trust me, won't really be a problem at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

Is this issue bounded to photogrammetry areas or does it happen outside these areas as well?

It is more prominent in photogrammetry areas but happens more or less in other areas as well. Based on the many many youtube clips I've watched graphics settings play a big role in how visible it is especially in autogen areas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's much more prominent in photogrammetry areas.

But like all sims, it can happen anywhere, especially if your computer gets behind the eight ball.

Edited by bonchie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bizarre settings. He has everything on ultra but terrain level of detail and objects level of detail on basically 50%. This makes no sense whatsoever because if you're at ultra putting both of those settings to full will not impact your FPS. I have everything on ultra with both level of details at full and I don't get random popping.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

Bizarre settings. He has everything on ultra but terrain level of detail and objects level of detail on basically 50%. This makes no sense whatsoever because if you're at ultra putting both of those settings to full will not impact your FPS. I have everything on ultra with both level of details at full and I don't get random popping.

True. If you max out those other settings, pop-in happens further from the airplane and it's less noticeable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This video shows some of the texture morphing and pop-in.

On ultra, it's almost non-existent or is so far in the distance you don't really see it. On low, it's really bad and close in. Like all things in life, nothing is free.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow, that ObsidianAnt video was a really good comparison. Clearly shows the difference between the broad settings. I have played with those settings in the alpha/beta, but wasn't sure exactly how extensively the levels impacted the overall scene. That slow wipe in that he did in the NYC scene was the clearest example that I have seen.

And again, kudos to the Asobo team for making this sim scalable across a breadth of system specs.

Edited by snglecoil
  • Like 1

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bonchie said:

This video shows some of the texture morphing and pop-in.

On ultra, it's almost non-existent or is so far in the distance you don't really see it. On low, it's really bad and close in. Like all things in life, nothing is free.

That's reassuring indeed. I wonder which setting is the crucial one to avoid the pop-ins. So even if I won't be able to set everything to ultra I can trade in something else for the setting that avoids the pop-ins. Probably Terrain Level of Detail and Objects Level of Detail?

In this context I also wonder what the settings for Buidlings, Trees, Grass and Bushes do. Do they control the density of these objects (as it is in P3D) or the texture quality of each object and also the LOD for these objects (it seems the latter from the above video).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Catstrator right after the broadcaster event earlier this year said its basically like flying through google earth.. And it kind of is.. that morphing happens with google earth also.. I dont really mind it (im probably going to be running the sim at about the mid maybe high range so i might see some.)  Its in even the earliest 2019 pre-alpha videos from last year so shouldn't be surprising anyone . But yeah.. higher settings seem to settle it down quite a bit.

 


[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Less than high is not worth it for me. If my PC can't do high, I will have to upgrade.


Alvega

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Alvega said:

 

Less than high is not worth it for me. If my PC can't do high, I will have to upgrade.

It's the right time anyway with the new RTX 3000 cards coming out with the new architecture. Nvidia probably won't significantly change things for another 5-6 years. There will be 4000 series cards, but they won't be the generational leap we are about to get.

I'm gonna see what the RTX 3070/3080 have to offer. At worst, the prices on 2070 and 2080 Supers should drop.

Right now, I still have my trusty old GTX 970. She's just about ready to retire.

Edited by bonchie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bonchie said:

It's the right time anyway with the new RTX 3000 cards coming out with the new architecture. Nvidia probably won't significantly change things for another 5-6 years. There will be 4000 series cards, but they won't be the generational leap we are about to get.

I'm gonna see what the RTX 3070/3080 have to offer. At worst, the prices on 2070 and 2080 Supers should drop.

Right now, I still have my trusty old GTX 970. She's just about ready to retire.

 

I have an I7 4790K with 16GB RAM and GTX 1660 Super. I doubt I can do high settings with that, but will see. 


Alvega

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    28%
    $7,125.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...