Sign in to follow this  
kt069

Download The New Sim Step by Step at Launch Day

It would be very nice, if the new MFS2020 will be downloded in few steps. The required part and the optional part that we would choose. For example, we can select the planes of our choice  to download at that moment and the rest later, as we wish. This will reduce the download sizes, time and density on the servers. 

Edited by kt069

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

Isn't Pre Load opening up a couple days in advance? That'll help with server leads no doubt, I'm hoping so at least anyway, as i'd prefer to have as much data on my SSD ready for launch day (still a bit confused about the streaming needs of the Sim to be honest!).

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Yes, there is a possibility that we are expecting the sim download few days earlier but even so; the option to select at least the aircrafts for download, would be benefitial for all. Reduce time and space on hard drives. Then, we can download the other aircrafts from our Microsoft library, later.  I am not sure but, as I remember from the interviews, main game will be about  90GB and the total with aircrafts, etc. will be about 150 GB. Splitting this would be fine... Personally, I am firstly interested in the airliners and jets, rather than GAs. Therefore, no need for me to download all the GAs at once. This can be reverse for someone else.

Edited by kt069

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

Cherry-picking what to download would probably require too much installation micro-management procedures to make it practical. Much easier to have three download/install options (Standard, Fancy, Super-Fancy) and that's it. 

I do think it would be sensible and courteous of MS/Asobo to allow a download process to commence a couple of days prior to release, but that would require a lock on the thing to stop it being used/installed, and whether or not that is practical I dunno. Maybe they could let us D/L 95 percent of it and leave just a required exe file out to stop it from being used before release. Hard to say without seeing the final installation file.

Plenty of people seem fairly convinced that they're gonna allow an early download, but I'm yet to be convinced that is going to happen.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

15 minutes ago, Chock said:

I do think it would be sensible and courteous of MS/Asobo to allow a download process to commence a couple of days prior to release, but that would require a lock on the thing to stop it being used/installed, and whether or not that is practical I dunno.

It is possible. At least, it's possible on other platforms. I pre-ordered a game on the Switch a week before launch, it immediately downloaded and installed the game, and displayed a message with a launch date reminder if I tried to run it early.

Oh yeah, I've done that too plenty of times, but that's tended to be with games that are 5-20Gb rather than 90Gb with a lot of interdependent stuff in the installation files.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Anyone know if the Steam edition will be downloaded prior to the release date like the MS store version?

15 minutes ago, ctalpas said:

Anyone know if the Steam edition will be downloaded prior to the release date like the MS store version?

it's normal for download to be available couple of days before but you won't be able to fly until release date

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer