Sign in to follow this  
avhpilot

planes TRAINS and automobiles

Whilst it's one thing to see a freight train a mile long, I wonder if the devs will see fit to put in an easter egg or two regarding special, historic trains and locomotives... and how realistic would the clouds of steam be? I hope you can hear the mournful whistle of no.611 for example (lovely old steam locomotive!)

Or perhaps the only working Big Boy in existence..

• Like 3

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, Paladin2005 said:

If you show me one professional full motion flight simulator for commercial pilot training that shows moving trains and car traffic, then you changed my mind, that trains and cars are a NEED for a flight simulator.

Shoot, I flew a 747 level-D sim back in the late 90's and it had cars on the roads, around the airports anyway. I don't know about between airports because I was at FL300+ and forgot to bring binoculars. 😉

That said, there seems to be a lot of confusion around Avsim these days about NEEDS vs WANTS. There's a thread asking if someone NEEDS the new sim.  Nope, you sure don't. You *want* it.

Same for cars on the roads. We don't need 'em, but they would definitely be nice to have.

• Like 6

Not having a steam train to race against in the sim with a possibility of landing the Cub on a wagon would  certainly be a no-buy for me. Asobo knows it . So be confident. 

Moving ground vehicles add a lot , not only to generic immersion but they give also a sense of dynamic depth to your flight as their vector is almost necessarily different from your ownship. Moving 3D trains would certainly be a great and welcome addition. A priority ? Nope but I think that will come to the sim. Asobo ? Maybe not. Look at Henrik Nielsen's fantastic ship traffic in FSX/P3D. TPD have a great role to play here. I wouldn't be surprised if something was slowly cooking on a back burner somewhere.

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The Aerosoft Anchorage FSX add on had a couple of moving Alaska RR trains which I though was pretty neat.  

Perhaps a 3rd party developer will add trains in a future airport or scenery add on?  Since my days (well days and nights😋) are spent on a freight train riding the rails, may as well have some in the new sim

Chris Sunseri

Strange how people go out of their way to object to other peoples wishes.

Moving trains help to easily identify where a rail line is in VFR for starters but how would nice ground traffic including trains and shipping make the sim worse and not better?

Also ground traffic helps breath life into the environment and helps with immersion just as higher fidelity graphics do.

Complaining that something isn't 100% necessary is a foolish argument, great graphics aren't 100% necessary but they are why most people will be switching to MFS from other sims regardless what a tiny user base of elitist simmers think..

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Paladin2005 said:

More seriously: We DONT NEED Trains or cars or whatever. We need well simulated aircraft and weather in a nice looking world and a realistic navigation environment. Thats a flight simulator.

Here's just hoping that in your next post you don't speak in the "WE" form, and especially not when it's about what i need or don't need.

• Like 2

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

10 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

This thread went off the rails quickly.

And.... We're back on track:

Many airports actually have railways stations as part of them, so they are quite a big part of the infrastructure of the airport. Manchester is certainly one, with specific airport trains from around the region going there. The big oval-shaped glass walkway which goes past the Radison Hotel links to the airport's railway station. LFPG Paris Charles DeGaulle has a railway station too, and that's one of the fancy super-detailed airports in the new sim.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 hours ago, Mucker said:

Moving trains help to easily identify where a rail line is in VFR

I'd rather have realistic looking static trains than moving cartoony ones with bizarre contrast and coloration.  Of course realistic looking moving trains would be better, and I wouldn't object to seeing them, as long as there were a similar number in the sim as there are in real life.  And they moved at an appropriate speed.  The static trains look pretty good in MSFS.

Currently in MSFS it is easy to differentiate rails from roads.  Don't need animated trains to tell the difference.  I don't know how other flight sims handle this, but P3D seemed to do pretty well.

One thing that impresses me is that cars on service roads in MSFS move slower then cars on the adjacent highways.  

Hook

Edited by LHookins

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

6 hours ago, Wildblue said:

Here's just hoping that in your next post you don't speak in the "WE" form, and especially not when it's about what i need or don't need.

Lets just hope the same is valid for post #1.

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

I don't want to rail or slap anybody on the caboose but this thread is loosing steam.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

You mean we are too friendly to each other? I like such discussions when emotions cook up. 🤪

Especially in this really heaten up atmosphere of freaks and normalos when expectations of different levels explode together. 💣

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

But we had trains, quite a few actually, AI & drivable, in FS2004! And boats, vehicles and zeppelins, with ground crew as well!

Just saying!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

2 hours ago, Paladin2005 said:

Lets just hope the same is valid for post #1.

We cannot promise that, but we can certainly try. 🙂

Funny how my other claims like the planetarium and simulating 7 billion people has not offended anyone.

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable