Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Only 8 lessons in MSFS 2020? That's a lot less than FSX

So, some of us are getting back into flight sims again but we aren't pilots.  I remember in FSX, they had quite a few lessons including VOR navigation, ILS approach, and even some lessons for Commercial Pilots and Airline Transportation Pilots with Rod Machado: http://krepelka.com/fsweb/learningcenter/lc_index_lessonsmain.htm

However, when I saw this Youtube video of the lessons menu for MSFS 2020, there were only 8 lessons and I did not see a scrollbar or any other button to view further lessons: 

I know we can always read the FAA guidebook and other sources for the basics of flying, but of course it's more fun and more interactive to if you can learn the lessons in the simulator.  I was hoping that MSFS 2020 would at least have the same number of lessons from FSX, and maybe even more lessons.  But with only 8 lessons, it seems the depth that MSFS goes to for lessons is really shallow. If there are more lessons for MSFS 2020 rather than the 8 lessons listed, please correct me.

• Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

The lessons were great in FSX. In fact, for newbies it's almost worth it for that alone at a really cheap price. I know they helped me. I still remember the VOR lessons. 

• Like 2

I agree, FSX missions and lessons were the best to learn to fly, in the new MSFS, lessons are not bad but definitely not enough.

• Like 1

Walter Almaraz

4.jpg

I'm still retaining a copy of FSX:SE on my system just for the lessons and checkrides. It's actually pretty good if you supplement it with some additional material (e.g. from the FAA or Jeppesen).

People should realize that MSFS is a game and most people will use it for recreation, not serious study of flight.

Edited by thepilot

Hmm, maybe MS thinks that the non-simmers (casual gamers) won't be too seriously interested in the technicalities of "lessons". But to keep gamers interested they'll need SOMETHING to keep them coming back for more. Dunno what that is...but I know gamers these days are into earning points/in-game money so they can upgrade and personalize the in-game characters...so yea they need something gamey like that for those type of users if thats who their trying to attract.

Maybe the technical lessons are really more suited to the simmers, and not the casuals. But yea, I'd also like to see TONS of technical lessons actually...covering a wide variety of important piloting and navigating skills.

Edited by hangar

12 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I know there are a few landing challenges, are there any missions?

I believe all of these things will be constantly updated and ongoing.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This is why I've been working on a bit of a 'special' for my youtube channel which will be a supplement to the lessons in the new sim. The content is a little bit different from most lessons you find in flight sims and should be quite interesting to newbies and veterans alike.

As per my usual channel stuff, it features a song for the intro, which I'm presently recording, and unlike most of the previous ones, it features a full set of instruments with me playing drums, guitars, bass and of course doing the singing (if you can call it that). It's also a bit of a sting at the forum and internet police (there's your clues) who are having a pop at those new to flight sims as well.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, hangar said:

they'll need SOMETHING to keep them coming back for more

I'd like an open world RPG kind of game where you start with a small plane, or as a pilot for hire to haul around stuff and people, legal or less, and then you buy and upgrade your license up to the heavybois to haul even more contrab...ehm, legal stuff. That would be fun.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

I believe all of these things will be constantly updated and ongoing.

Yep, I think people should think the release as one step forward. More content will be added later. It is not the final version, but first of many. Game business is like this nowadays.

• Like 2

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

2 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

I'd like an open world RPG kind of game where you start with a small plane, or as a pilot for hire to haul around stuff and people, legal or less, and then you buy and upgrade your license up to the heavybois to haul even more contrab...ehm, legal stuff. That would be fun.

I'm sure alot of folks would like to see that (aka career mode).

I think there are Bush missions that have different legs to them, and I thought I saw like 10-20 hops and they took different amount of time from airport to airport. You can always pretend your are taking contrab..ehn legal stuff 🙂 Wait till the public gets a hold of the SDK, or if there is a mission creation tool, I think there will be plenty of content, and surely Asobo and others are going to sell missions, jobs, career addon's in the Market Place.

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

20 minutes ago, zemez said:

Yep, I think people should think the release as one step forward. More content will be added later. It is not the final version, but first of many. Game business is like this nowadays.

Exactly! ASOBO said, that "Release is only a beginning!"

• Like 2

The horrible part is how this affects the game versus Sim debate, as many people have proclaimed that games have scores and Sims do not.

Well surprise surprise! Msfs not only has scores, it has a leaderboard!

• Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

i personally think the missions are just right, they cover 'the basics' which is more than enough for a sim, if your looking to 'learn' real world flying go learn in the real world or at least use rw information not what you get from a video game
im not saying some advanced missions would not be great, and i do hope they expand on what they have with them, im just saying they are not really needed in the base game for the great majority of users imo

You may also note they never mention these missions as a way to learn to fly, they always refer to the checklist as a way to learn the aircraft - the missions are supposed to be basic and generic for beginners, not an in depth study program for real pilots

Edited by AirWayMan
  • Upvote 1