Sign in to follow this  

PMDG 777 or 747 (NOT an actual aircraft comparison)

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering whether I could get your advice on whether to purchase the PMDG777 or 747. PMDG are currently having a 23% sale and I think this is a brilliant opporotunity to pick up a new jet.

My simple question is, given the state of both aircraft and the new MSFS, which do you think is the better one to buy. I owned the PMDG747 on FSX but never got round to buying it (Or the NGX) for P3D. I've only got the FSLabs and QW787, the former is unbelivable, and the latter is quite nice (but doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy inside

I am not an early adopter, so I would realistically see myself moving to the new platform around December (if even!) The end goal is to transition, but I need new harddrives, and wait for things to be converted etc. Plus it doesn't seem like it will be cheap...  

Essentially, my view is that the 777 is the better one in terms of routes, I'm a stickler for IRL routes (especially PAX) although I do enjoy cargo...

That said, the 777 is going to have a massive update at some point, and my only concern is this will be like the NG3 (a full re-purchase) which would be a bit annoying.

The 744 on the other hand is a brilliant aircraft and I have heard it is PMDG's top work yet. The only drawback is the lack of pax routes 😞 

Both imho are great aircraft to fly, but if you have a favourite then shout!

Given the current state of things, which would you reccomend... or at all?

Thanks a lot,

Canine

If you are a stickler for real routes, then the 777 is the best choice. Please be advised that PMDG is saying they will update the plane, but it keeps getting delayed. The 747 is more up to date and I think is the better plane at this time. As you noticed however, they are being phased out rather quickly. 

• Upvote 1

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

@Canine Crew
Same, I much, much prefer using correct equipment on routes.

However, even as someone who doesn't own it, I think it's a very easy choice. The PMDG 747 is a comprehensively more advanced product.
I was rather disappointed with their 777 and I think that any update to the 777 will be like the 737NGXu - a repurchase.

There are enough cargo routes flying the 747 and, as it's a sim, you can do whatever flying you want with the 747 on pax routes.
Perhaps recreate some 747 action into FlyTampa's VHHX?

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

42 minutes ago, F737NG said:

@Canine Crew
Same, I much, much prefer using correct equipment on routes.

However, even as someone who doesn't own it, I think it's a very easy choice. The PMDG 747 is a comprehensively more advanced product.
I was rather disappointed with their 777 and I think that any update to the 777 will be like the 737NGXu - a repurchase.

There are enough cargo routes flying the 747 and, as it's a sim, you can do whatever flying you want with the 747 on pax routes.
Perhaps recreate some 747 action into FlyTampa's VHHX?

Wise words, the PMDG 748F is my goto Cargo aircraft as you don't need to do long routes, I use it around europe all sub 2 hours ruotes and just pick cargo airports. I personally enjoy airlines more but when I have a cargo itch the 748F is the one until the PMDG NGXu Cargo comes out.

Wait for the 777 to be updated before buying I would suggest.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Avoid the B777 and don’t believe the rubbish that its being “updated”. It’s been said for years and no action.  Literally every excuse under the sun why it hasn’t been forthcoming.... They are just fleecing unsuspecting simmers imo. Their love of money far exceeds their support for their customers or the truthfulness of the situation imo.

Edited by barramundilure
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

I suggest the 747 hands down. The 747 will be flying freight for years to come on all kinds of routes long and short. I have the 777 and find it a highly automated hense rather boring airplane and most rw flights are very long. I have used the T7 very little since it came out.

Vic green

747, all day every day. It's the better-simulated aeroplane, and it's far more interesting as a simulator aircraft.

If you are a stickler for replicating real-world operations, then the Cripple Seven is perhaps a more relevant choice, but that's about the only reason to choose it over Dumbo, and even then that's not a particularly compelling argument either, because the great thing about flight simulators is that you can fly anything you like, in any way you want, including pretending that it's 1989 if you want to.

The PMDG 747 is one of the greatest flight sim birds ever created and anyone who doesn't have it should go and visit a psychiatrist at the earliest opportunity. 🤣

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

8 minutes ago, Chock said:

The PMDG 747 is one of the greatest flight sim birds ever created and anyone who doesn't have it should go and visit a psychiatrist at the earliest opportunity.

Agree

Everyone here is giving the same recommendation...the 747 is technically the superior aircraft...IMO, by a huge margin (based on P3D v4). My two personal favorite aircraft in P3D v5 are the FSL A321 and the PMDG 747.

Unfortunately, only you can answer how strong your commitment is to replicating real world passenger routes. For me personally, I can fly the B748F anywhere in the simulator world I choose to fly.

3 hours ago, Canine Crew said:

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering whether I could get your advice on whether to purchase the PMDG777 or 747. PMDG are currently having a 23% sale and I think this is a brilliant opporotunity to pick up a new jet.

My simple question is, given the state of both aircraft and the new MSFS, which do you think is the better one to buy. I owned the PMDG747 on FSX but never got round to buying it (Or the NGX) for P3D. I've only got the FSLabs and QW787, the former is unbelivable, and the latter is quite nice (but doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy inside

I am not an early adopter, so I would realistically see myself moving to the new platform around December (if even!) The end goal is to transition, but I need new harddrives, and wait for things to be converted etc. Plus it doesn't seem like it will be cheap...  

Essentially, my view is that the 777 is the better one in terms of routes, I'm a stickler for IRL routes (especially PAX) although I do enjoy cargo...

That said, the 777 is going to have a massive update at some point, and my only concern is this will be like the NG3 (a full re-purchase) which would be a bit annoying.

The 744 on the other hand is a brilliant aircraft and I have heard it is PMDG's top work yet. The only drawback is the lack of pax routes 😞 

Both imho are great aircraft to fly, but if you have a favourite then shout!

Given the current state of things, which would you reccomend... or at all?

Thanks a lot,

Canine

I have both, in terms of addons the 747 is better, the 777 is well overdue for an update and tends to be overlooked by PMDG in favour if the newer NGXu and 747. 

Nothing wrong with the 777, great addon, but 747 would be my choice out of the two.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Cool, thanks guys. I the winner is the 747, it's a real beauty and it seems to be the superior aircraft which at the end of the day it's all about. Looking forwards to the (virtual) 5am approaches into Anchorage 🙂 plus, who doesn't like flying reto!? BA 747 ops here we come!

Thanks again!

12 hours ago, Canine Crew said:

If that is the case then you already answered your own question.

The 747 is basically done as a PAX aircraft at this time. Everybody either is planning to or already has switched to the 777, the Dreamliner or the A350. So if you want to fly IRL routes then you'll have to restrict yourself to cargo routes.

The problem with the 777 packages is that the base package models a variant that virtually nobody flies IRL. So you'll have to get the expansion pack as well.

Edited by Farlis

I just had this same question myself a few days ago and opted for the 747. I definitely made the right choice, no regrets.

Cheers, Pete

Edited by PilotPete99

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

47 not quite done for pax. Atlas and Kallita among others do government as well as civilian charter work carrying passengers.  (including sports teams).   That's why I enjoy following Atlas Air on flight aware. Also though the Covid crises has dug deep into airline schedules freight dogs are going strong. Often you will see the global sky graced with plenty of Atlas 747s as well as plenty of UPS and many other Queen fliers while some of the airline routes have discontinued for a while.

Naw. The Queen of the Skies is not dead and will be flying for a long time to come.

Vic green