Sign in to follow this  
787flyer

MD-11 P3Dv5 - Buy or wait? That is the question

Hi,

As recently announced we know TFDi are currently developing their new MD-11 product which I might add looks pretty darn impressive however Sky Simulations has now announced P3Dv5 compatibility with their existing product.

What would you consider doing if you dont already own the Sky Simulations version for v5?

Purchase the Sky Simulations version or wait for TFDi? I have no direct experience of flying any of their aircraft from either company hence the question.

I am missing flying the old bird in P3D though. I was flying the PMDG MD11F freighter around the world in FSX.

Let me know what you think and would do.

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Wait for TFDi.

FSElite pointed out that this new Sky Sim MD-11 uses an FMC based on the EasyFMC add-on.
TFDi are working on their own MD-specific FMC.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

The Skysim bird is okay, but you've said that you are missing the PMDG one, so the Skysim one might not float your boat. Now in fairness, the Skysim bird is a lot better than lots of people would have you believe, especially people who fervently worship at 'the Church of PMDG'. It isn't that expensive, so personally, I think it's worth a punt. I'm quite happy with it.

It actually does work in V5, the only really big issue is that the company livery with the polished metal fuselage looks a bit ropey owing to the changes in how V5 renders stuff, but it doesn't stop it flying and all the other liveries are okay. You could wait for the other one, but as you know, things can take time and the new MS sim has thrown a spanner in the works in that regard as well, meaning many developers are now split in their developmental efforts, which is good, but I suspect it's not conducive to speedy P3D development.

• Like 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, aldridgem said:

....however Sky Simulations has now announced P3Dv5 compatibility with their existing product....

Wait... So is there another update for the Skysim MD? If there is, I wonder if they have added the freighter option on to the payload manager like they suggested to me some time ago..:dry:

I fervently hope that they may get the undercarriage door animations working again in FSX:SE..:dry:

EDIT - I don't think they've done anything with the FSX version (file size is exactly the same) oh well..:blush:

Edited by HighBypass

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Adding my vote for "wait for TFDi". Sky SImulations is here now, of course, but I think that everyone concurs that the TFDi will be a whole lot better if/when it's finally released.

Of course, if you just want to fly an MD-11 today, it's either FSX+PMDG (would actually be tempting if you need an MD-11 fix), or take the low-fi SkySim option.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

With all the fanfare and promotion that preceeded the release the PMDG MD11 for FSX I was surprised to see them drop it like a hot potato when P3D was released.

• Upvote 1

Cheers

Steve Hall

I already have the Sky Simulation MD11, but you can bet your first born that when TDFi releases theirs, I'll scoop it up like a hundred dollar bill on the Walmart parking lot.

7 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

FSX+PMDG

Actually went back to it for a bit last few weeks except,FSX's 32-Bit OOM for longer flight's soon made me put the lid back on it. But the PMDG J4100 made up for it!

Fingers crossed for the TDFi version🤞

This will be too hard to resist. Definitely on my buy list.I think they will do a  fine job on MD11.

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I know this may be a difficult question to answer right now given limited info on the TFDi but how do you think the systems fidelity as Rob mentioned above and functional aspects of the two aircraft will measure up aka navigation, autopilot, fuel management system and other flight control systems that make the MD-11 a special bird to fly?  I am one of those that really prepares for the flight from scratch, starts from "cold and dark" and flies real world routes experimenting with different departure and arrival procedures and using the functionality built into the simulated aircraft.

Do you think they will comparable when both products are out in the market or do you think one represents a new level of simulation experience?

16 hours ago, Chock said:

The Skysim bird is okay, but you've said that you are missing the PMDG one, so the Skysim one might not float your boat. Now in fairness, the Skysim bird is a lot better than lots of people would have you believe, especially people who fervently worship at 'the Church of PMDG'. It isn't that expensive, so personally, I think it's worth a punt. I'm quite happy with it.

It actually does work in V5, the only really big issue is that the company livery with the polished metal fuselage looks a bit ropey owing to the changes in how V5 renders stuff, but it doesn't stop it flying and all the other liveries are okay. You could wait for the other one, but as you know, things can take time and the new MS sim has thrown a spanner in the works in that regard as well, meaning many developers are now split in their developmental efforts, which is good, but I suspect it's not conducive to speedy P3D development.

Appreciate the feedback Alan on the Skysim. Sounds like you're not itching to get your wallet out for the TFDI when it comes. Its not a "must buy"  for you. Would that be right?

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

22 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

... it's either FSX+PMDG (would actually be tempting if you need an MD-11 fix).....

Only for those who already have the PMDG from way back. Any on sale these days will most likely not work due to licence key...

One small "fix" if you can call it that for the Sky Sim product is that the freighter aircraft manager is to be made available as a standalone update for 32 bit simulations according to the email I received today. I'm an FSX:SE user... I don't think anything else will be updated. The P3D V5 file download is a different size to the previous update so I believe it's only for V5 and not an all-encompassing installer.

Mark, systems fidelity should not just mean a custom FMC, I would hope TFDi cater for such things as auto slat deployment near stall and of course fuel management wherein the system pumps fuel into the tail tank rather than pumping it out, and of course a better autopilot (Sky Sim's does work, but not quite as per the real plane).

I mean I've tried to ensure that the CofG remains within limits on the Sky Sim bird, but I've never had the fuel system pump fuel into the tail tank, even on manual mode...

I too use the MD-11 from a cold and dark state, although the flight plan is loaded into the FMC via an imported plan for the FSX stock planner. Not got the idea of programming it from scratch.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

From the TFDI forum posts and FB, its looking really good, and they really sound very committed to it being very high fidelity aircraft.  So the "wait for TFDI" makes the most sense. MD-11 has alot of nuances that are different from your standard Boeing and Airbus. Its like a hybrid. I think they have alot of support behind the project, and are excited with its progress so far. 

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

54 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

From the TFDI forum posts and FB, its looking really good, and they really sound very committed to it being very high fidelity aircraft.  So the "wait for TFDI" makes the most sense. MD-11 has alot of nuances that are different from your standard Boeing and Airbus. Its like a hybrid. I think they have alot of support behind the project, and are excited with its progress so far. 

That's exactly what makes an accurate MD11 such a pleasure to fly.  It is like a hybrid. Any simulation that doesn't accurately produce this characteristics looses the concept.

TFDi will get it right!

• Like 3

I agree.  I'm impressed with what TFDi has been showing us so far.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next