Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Thank you LM for Golden era of Flightsim - Road Forks Now

Hey guys,

Looks like all my P3Dv5 purchases will be at a halt now (I do have tons of addons) as MSFS2020 is out and based on the tons of videos etc - the graphics are mind blowing plain and simple (hurry up and release VR support).  You know it will be cool if the best third party addons are moving to it (PMDG, etc).  I am just glad we do not need tons of third party addons for camera, textures, clouds, timezone etc - omg I hated to have all these addons - Those are band-aid utilities.  They played a role and in time imho outlived their purpose.

Prepar3d will become more of instructional sim for me (as that is its intended use from its creators anyway).  Still got all study sim planes on it.  More so a mature sim (I just will not load it with up tons of third party addons).  

Thank you LM, for bringing the 64bit revolution (yes, I know Xplane was 64bit before LM moved the ante with v4).

Fantastic Journey.

• Like 4

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

You better post this at LM’s own P3D forum...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Oh my.   I have a 4-lane road moving forward.  How about you?

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 minute ago, Mace said:

Oh my.   I have a 4-lane road moving forward.  How about you?

Lol - you mean like 4 sims? P3Dv5, Xplane-11, DCS and MSFS2020

I can tell my time will be spend more on MSFS2020 more than anything else...till all the heavies move to MSFS2020 - then well....you can guess the answer.

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Aah, when the scenery novelty wears off a bit, those super-realistic airliners and all the peripheral add-ons which make them work will be clawing people back. Good news is, you are allowed to have many sims, and that two grand upgrade you did for the new MS sim will help P3D too.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I must say that getting a host of Youtube publishers to market and create some hype about your product is a great marketing strategy by MS. Looks like they left the door open for developers to add a lot of detail hand crafted scenery and study level aircraft. This will not be the end of add-ons.

Edited by pinepix62
  • Upvote 1

Johan Pienaar

Addons are on hold for me as well.  Have any devs announced how they're going to handle pricing?  I imagine most are going to charge for a new version but if it's an upgrade fee or the full price depends on what I'm going to be buying in the upcoming months.

• Upvote 1

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

18 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

Addons are on hold for me as well.  Have any devs announced how they're going to handle pricing?  I imagine most are going to charge for a new version but if it's an upgrade fee or the full price depends on what I'm going to be buying in the upcoming months.

I doubt there will be an upgrade fee.  It is a completely different sim with new architecture.  I am personally exhausted with FSX style installation structure.  Even PMDG said, this is something they just can't immediately port.  We wont' know till the SDK is out for all of us.

Either way, looking forward to this new upcoming revolution.

Edited by Skywolf

We're two weeks out, which is an interesting time. We have now seen quite a lot of the new sim, some good, some bad.

I have defended P3Dv5's honor whenever I have felt it necessary to do so. It's a fine sim that has been trashed far too many time on this forum over recent months.

Will v5.1 be enough to keep P3D in the centre lane? Unlikely that the masses will be convinced, but there's at least a chance that it will remain a strong contender for those who are simming rather than gaming (without wanting to restart that argument!)

DX12 is a promising step, now they just need to get EA humming along properly.

I'll be flying MSFS on the 18th - and have been watching the videos with a fair degree of excitement - but there's no way that I'm dumping P3D just because there's a new game in town with a bit more eye candy.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

P3D saved Flight SIm for me and probably many.
I'm Not saying good bye. I'll keep my friend for the long road......
BTW: I keep buying addons for it!

Edited by RamonB
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Will v5.1 be enough to keep P3D in the centre lane? Unlikely that the masses will be convinced, but there's at least a chance that it will remain a strong contender for those who are simming rather than gaming (without wanting to restart that argument!)

DX12 is a promising step, now they just need to get EA humming along properly.

I'll be flying MSFS on the 18th - and have been watching the videos with a fair degree of excitement - but there's no way that I'm dumping P3D just because there's a new game in town with a bit more eye candy.

Agreed. I think the future path of P3D will be made clearer after the 5.1 release and we see what of the outstanding issues (yes, there are some) have been tidied up. If they can fix EA, improve stability to the point we had in 4.5 and perhaps even squeeze a bit more performance out that would be solid and put them in contention to stay with MSFS. 

If we're going to be waiting 6-12 months for the first round of complex addons (PMDG, FSLabs etc) then I think a few people would come back to a stable 5.1 to fly these sorts of aircraft. If the graphics are as amazing as they seem, getting the VFR flyers might be unlikely. 

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

I don't speak for all VFR pilots but I won't be moving to MS2020 until A2A does. Accusim is important technology for me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Unlikely that the masses will be convinced, but there's at least a chance that it will remain a strong contender for those who are simming rather than gaming (without wanting to restart that argument!)

But it sounds like you do? 

I agree with Chock.

For me the airplanes technical and flight characteristics are king. I own and fly PMDG, FS Labs, Majestic, Maddog and A2A planes.  I believe the novelty of flying over your house will disappear and those interested in the best simulated airplanes will remain.

For me V5 is the best flight simulator to date relative to superb visuals, smooth motion and high fidelity airplanes.  Meanwhile I’m just flying and still buying V5 airports. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I spent a LOT of money on P3D v2-v4.  I don't regret doing so (okay maybe a few addons I never really used).  And I agree, it was an in between for me - it was also the thing that kept me from going fully XP.  I never did upgrade to v5 but I'm not sad.  I plan to supplement my XP11 simming with the new MSFS when it arrives.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |