Sign in to follow this  
rksoftware

And now on CNN

Then the FlightSim boss recounts a bout of homesickness a couple of weeks ago -- his parents live in Germany, but he can't visit them due to Covid-19 travel restrictions.
"I was so homesick that I actually flew a plane and landed next to the lake where my parents live. And, it's real time, so it's actually the exact same time of day and the exact same weather that they were experiencing. And I picked up the phone to call them and said, 'Hey, I just want you to know, I know I can't be there with you, but I'm as close as I can possibly get.'"

😥❤️

• Like 8

Great write up.  I feel like in the past flightsimming has generally only made the mainstream media for negative reasons (9/11, Q400 theft) so it’s great to see this.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Yep its well written. The more reach this has the better. I think a bigger market will mean more new add-on developers, more choice and lower prices.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Great write up.  I feel like in the past flightsimming has generally only made the mainstream media for negative reasons (9/11, Q400 theft) so it’s great to see this.

I recall the Golden Time when Flight Simulation was not only in the Newsmedia but bookstores carried plenty of good books books (Flights of "13 Mike", Stern's Flight Simulator Handbook, and more, still on my shelf). 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

It helps to have the PR rolodex of Microsoft. 

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

You know our hobby will have made it as a big time mainstream title if we get an nvidia game day driver or any driver notes that reference the existence of MSFS! 😄

• Like 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, pmb said:

I recall the Golden Time when Flight Simulation was not only in the Newsmedia but bookstores carried plenty of good books books (Flights of "13 Mike", Stern's Flight Simulator Handbook, and more, still on my shelf). 

Kind regards, Michael

Sublogic/Microsoft Flight Simulator was a legend in the early days of PCs, eagerly anticipated by the masses as showcase of just what the "new" technology could do.

Combat flight sims were the same - Microprose and Spectrum Holobyte releases were major events.

Somewhere along the way, combat and civilian flight sims became niche products. Perhaps because they became too complicated for the average computer user, or because they require excessive/unobtainable hardware to run properly (as was the case with FSX).

Good to see flight sim getting back into the mainstream! 🙂

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Somewhere along the way, combat and civilian flight sims became niche products. Perhaps because they became too complicated for the average computer user

Not to go too far off topic but that’s exactly my issue with combat simulators today.  DCS is amazing, gorgeous, and I own several addons but it’s too complex for me to become proficient without spending more time than I have available learning it.

For me, my ideal combat flight sim was the Jane’s USNF series and other similar titles.  Not super Arcady like combat ace 7, but not overly complex either and quite approachable.

Dave