Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

Performance with PMDG's NG3 on MSFS - No performance impact

I was revisiting their last announcement and that part took my attention:

The NG3 flight deck is factors larger in terms of polygons and texture size, yet provides no discernible negative effect on the performance of the simulation.

Didn't see anyone mentioning it, but it seems very interesting to me.  

Edited by ca_metal
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

The simple answer is that MSFS has lots of excess CPU power compared to other sims in almost all use cases, so there's plenty of room for add-on aircraft to up the game without maxing things out like we used to CPU wise. Also, since even the default aircraft are high resolution and high detail graphically, there's no longer a huge dip in performance because you are throwing a 4096 texture add-on plane into an ancient engine designed for 1024 size textures.

The old paradigms don't exist anymore.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 3

Just now, bonchie said:

The simple answer is that MSFS had lots of excess CPU power compared to other sims in almost all use cases, so there's plenty of room for add-on aircraft to up the game without maxing things out like we used to CPU wise. Also, since even the default aircraft are high resolution and high detail graphically, there's no longer a huge dip in performance because you are throwing a 4096 texture add-on plane into an ancient engine designed for 1024 size textures.

The old paradigms don't exist anymore.

Yeah, I'm aware. My CPU is basically asleep when I'm using the BETA. But a lot of people were concerned the sim was performing good just because the 3rd party planes weren't in yet.

Robert's statement changes things a little bit, if I understood it right.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Yeah, I'm aware. My CPU is basically asleep when I'm using the BETA. But a lot of people were concerned the sim was performing good just because the 3rd party planes weren't in yet.

Robert's statement changes things a little bit, if I understood it right.

Yeah, my CPU is not even breaking a sweat. Tons of headroom for high intensity 3rd party aircraft to do their calculations. Everyone has to think differently now. Upper level FPS may be lower than P3D in some situations, but the floor of the FPS is higher. You shouldn't go from 60FPS to 20FPS jumping into a PMDG plane anymore. Things are more compressed.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, bonchie said:

Yeah, my CPU is not even breaking a sweat. Tons of headroom for high intensity 3rd party aircraft to do their calculations. Everyone has to think differently now. Upper level FPS may be lower than P3D in some situations, but the floor of the FPS is higher. You shouldn't go from 60FPS to 20FPS jumping into a PMDG plane anymore. Things are more compressed.

I agree same experience...

André

It's a modern sim designed to run on modern hardware.  The future is here in two weeks!  😁

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Only to be expected with a sim designed to run on modern hardware, but alos bear in mind that it's not as if an announcement from them is gonna say 'well yeah, our current product we're developing sucks and blows at the same time...'

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Good. So many people insisted that add-ons would tank the simulator's performance, without accounting for the fact that the stock content is pretty much as complex as what add-on developers can do today. Complexity will increase over time for sure, but so will the engine's optimisation.

1 hour ago, bonchie said:

Yeah, my CPU is not even breaking a sweat.

Might be good news for those who have older systems with older CPU's. If someone has an older CPU's, maybe he can just upgrade to a higher end GPU and maybe get to 32G of Ram if that user is on a limited budget. 

That is what I am considering as I have a GTX 970 4G Vram and an Intel i7 4790K. I would much rather just up my GPU than go the route of also upgrading CPU/Motherboard. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

12 minutes ago, MikeT707 said:

Might be good news for those who have older systems with older CPU's. If someone has an older CPU's, maybe he can just upgrade to a higher end GPU and maybe get to 32G of Ram if that user is on a limited budget. 

That is what I am considering as I have a GTX 970 4G Vram and an Intel i7 4790K. I would much rather just up my GPU than go the route of also upgrading CPU/Motherboard. 

Maybe. I have an 8600K OCed to 4.6Ghz. I honestly don't know how it handles older or lower clock CPUs.

I still have a 970 4GB as well. I'm waiting for the 3000 series cards in September to finally upgrade. It's just time. I want to see what AMD's Big Navi offers to. They are claiming to finally be at parody and surpassing Nvidia. We'll see.

Edited by bonchie