Hello there!

I am doing some research for my next monitor to play MSFS2020. 

I am hesitating between a VA panel with good contrast ratio and an IPS panel with decent HDR support. 

The room is pretty dark, which characteristic do you think is more important, contrast ratio or HDR support? 

Thanks for the help!

For simming overall I would say its better going for a decent IPS monitor that has good HDR performance and good response time, better refresh rates etc.

While increased contrast ratio can help in darker rooms (more blacks, more whites), the overall dynamic range (all colors) is going to be more important for you unless of course you plan on simming in a "black and white environment".

Just my own personal opinion.

God luck with your hunt for  a monitor. There's plenty to choose from.😀

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Thanks for your answer!

In the end I went down the route of the better contrast ratio and got the AOC CU34G2X. I think it's excellent value and I am very pleased with it so far. I did not have a chance to test thoroughly for flight sim yet, but it works great for work and for playing X4 Fondations. On top of that, I got it for 440USD, which I think is excellent value for a monitor of this class.

Hi Folks.

May I ask why you have gone for 1440 resolution rather than 2160? The new sim is produced in 4k and I'm thinking that I should be looking at a 3840x2160 monitor to get the best image I can. The choices are many and varied and I'm not really a techie as such.

Regards...Ken.

On my side, I was looking for an ultrawide monitor and those typically come with 3440x1440 native resolution.

Ah, okay. I have an LG ultrawide running at 1080p. It will be fine I'm sure but I'll probably at some point go to 32" 16x9 res at 2160. Thanks for your input.

Regards..Ken.