Sign in to follow this  
united001

MS2020 Inherent Stability?

It is very well known/established that prior versions of MSFS (2000, FSX, P3D, ect) have inherent instabilities that some simmers have had to deal with for years now. We call these CTDs, BSODs. We even have an entire forum dedicated to them, the CTD forum. I've always thought that this occurs at least in part because prior software installation acts somewhat differently on individual computer installations. Some simmers never have a problem, others like me, finally grew weary of endless random BSODs on final that I could never solve and gave up flight simming over 10 years ago. I used to play PS4's Destiny. I have always found console games very stable. Even a game as huge as Destiny never did a CTD on my PS4. I've always wondered why that is? Are console games inherently more stable than PC installations? I am now curious that because MSFS2020 will have an Xbox version as well as Steam, does that mean that our upcoming PC installations of MSFS2020 will also benefit from a relatively free CTD/BSOD future?

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

Lets wait for the release and then we will experience the stability. What answers are you expecting?

• Upvote 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Regardless of how stable a build is, there is always someone going to have CTD or BSOD. Too many factors hardware/software wise that varies between PC.  It just the nature of things.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

From the videos, MSFS 2020 looks very stable, extremely stable, able to change weather and things on the fly stable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

Lets wait for the release and then we will experience the stability. What answers are you expecting?

Expecting just opinions, really, passing the time until the 18th. I know that there is an NDA out there that likely prevents actual adverse experiences with alpha/beta builds to be commented on in public until the NDA expires.

United

Edited by united001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.

your thoughts sound reasonable and valid to me, its very likely that console games are more stable as a whole - they have set dedicated hardware that is Much easier to optimize and stabilize from a development point of view
from a consumers perspective that equates to stability

although as far as this game goes i have heard literally nothing about any instability so i am hoping thats not an issue with pc or console in this case

• Like 1

I've had one crash. It doesn't seem any less stable than any other flight sim to me. There honestly aren't a lot of complaints on the beta forum about crashes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paladin2005 said:

Amen!!! Wait till the product releases. It may have many less problems you mention then other games. 

Once again on the 18th we will see if their are serious problems that you are worried about.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, united001 said:

Even a game as huge as Destiny never did a CTD on my PS4. I've always wondered why that is?

One reason is that PS4 doesn't use Windows as operating system.

I've been testing for months and I haven't had one CTD and my settings are basically ultra.  I've flown out of all the major cities like London, NYC, Paris, etc...and not a single CTD.

This sim is a game changer because the days of worrying about CTD's or tweaking the CFG are gone.

• Like 4

Once you start filling the sim with Add-ons, I am sure stability issues will play a role. Vanilla MSFS seems to be pretty stable, even in beta.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

49 minutes ago, YVRDXBLHR said:

I've been testing for months and I haven't had one CTD and my settings are basically ultra.  I've flown out of all the major cities like London, NYC, Paris, etc...and not a single CTD.

This sim is a game changer because the days of worrying about CTD's or tweaking the CFG are gone.

Same. Not one CTD. 

• Like 1

In the very early alphas, I experienced a few CTD at one specific airport. In the last six months, however, I haven't had one CTD. The sim is very stable, even when you're frequently hand-manipulating the weather patterns or day/night settings, which take effect instantly without reloading. A lot of people on this board are about to vicariously relive Froogle's born-again epiphany -- wherein initial skepticism and hostility toward the sim give way to a warm enthusiasm and acceptance.

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

12 hours ago, united001 said:

It is very well known/established that prior versions of MSFS (2000, FSX, P3D, ect) have inherent instabilities......

This is rather unfair on the older products.  Out of the box, they're pretty stable, is it their fault if they crash when people load them up with memory-hogging third party addons?

What this also means of course is that today's addon-free MSFS stability means zilch for the hardcore simmer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lzamm said:

This is rather unfair on the older products.  Out of the box, they're pretty stable, is it their fault if they crash when people load them up with memory-hogging third party addons?

What this also means of course is that today's addon-free MSFS stability means zilch for the hardcore simmer.

This is true. One of the mistakes I made years ago was not removing all of the many add-ons I so adored for FSX and refused to give up. I may have solved my BSODs and kept on simming. This happened to me in Xplane not too long ago. The sim crashed when it should have not. I immediately suspected an add-on had caused it, so I patiently removed it and no more crashes. Then again, back in the day, the default MSFS planes were not that good, not fun at all. Live and learn I guess.

United001