Sign in to follow this  
Slides

X-Plane 11 vs. FS2020: Visuals

• Like 3

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Indirectly answering this I have officially retired my old sims, bought a new computer, and patently waiting until the 18th. That says allot about the comparison above.  Looking at the default it's going to be unbelievable what's on the horizon with add-on developers in the coming months and years.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Very instructive, Slides.  Thanks.

So am I understanding this correctly?  That's MSFS as it exists now versus XPlane 11 with lots of downloads?  

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Is this the default XP11 scenery? Some of the airports were modeled surprisingly well.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Is this the default XP11 scenery?

If I'm reading the last note displayed in the video before the comparisons start, this is XP tricked out to the max.  Not default.

Hook

Larry Hookins

2 minutes ago, LHookins said:

If I'm reading the last note displayed in the video before the comparisons start, this is XP tricked out to the max.  Not default.

Hook

Ah, alright, thanks.

Looking at these videos again, and also the comparison between MSFS and FSX airports, I think they are slightly missing the point anyway, because they are mostly showing the handcrafted MSFS airports.

A more fair comparison would be putting XP11 or FSX default airports against non-handcrafted, strictly autogen MSFS airports. Reactions would be slightly less ecstatic then, I can imagine. 😏

• Upvote 1

There actually are lots of airports in X-plane that looks quite nice nowadays TBH. Actually most oftern prefer X-plane "defaults" to the P3D defaults. 

• Like 2

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

5 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

because they are mostly showing the handcrafted MSFS airports.

I didn't keep track of the airports, only noticed a few prominent names.

The airports were chosen by the XPlane user who forwarded a video to the tester who posted the comparisons.

Hook

Larry Hookins

2 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Ah, alright, thanks.

Looking at these videos again, and also the comparison between MSFS and FSX airports, I think they are slightly missing the point anyway, because they are mostly showing the handcrafted MSFS airports.

A more fair comparison would be putting XP11 or FSX default airports against non-handcrafted, strictly autogen MSFS airports. Reactions would be slightly less ecstatic then, I can imagine. 😏

Fs2020 autogen airports still looks way better 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, devgrp said:

Fs2020 autogen airports still looks way better 

I'd like to see a comparison of the best ORBX or XPlane custom small airports to MSFS "autogen" airports and to the ones that have had minimal handwork done on them.

Hook

Larry Hookins

7 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I'd like to see a comparison of the best ORBX or XPlane custom small airports to MSFS "autogen" airports and to the ones that have had minimal handwork done on them.

Hook

I've done that comparison. Looked at most of the small airports that orbx makes and the default fs2020 and for default airports they are quite nice. I know I won't be spending crazy money on airports except for a few icon ones 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, devgrp said:

I've done that comparison.

Excellent, thanks.  Just for fun, check out F00 in Bonham Tx.  That's my home airport and the first one I saw in MSFS. 🙂 

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

4 minutes ago, devgrp said:

I've done that comparison. Looked at most of the small airports that orbx makes and the default fs2020 and for default airports they are quite nice. I know I won't be spending crazy money on airports except for a few icon ones 

The biggest issue with autogen airports seems to be tweaking the algorithm that decides what kind of buildings to put inside the perimeter. There are some preview videos that show apartment blocks there, and a lot of the buildings are still much too tall. Should be easily fixable, though.

• Upvote 1

Here is a nice video of X-Plane 11:

X-Plane 11 Multi Engine Plane Home Build

Look how smooth the steering movements are.

The graphics are OK compared to FS, but way better what was shown on the X-Plane FS Trailer remake. It feels like we are in the middle of a children competition. The intro video was made with lower than lower settings.

I don`t think writing pages for pages which is better makes any sense. Every product has its pros and cons.

For my side, I do only think FS will be a good product when combined with a PMDG plane, otherwise for me it`s a GTA V plane emulator and I can view and travel the earth with Google Earth and Street View, so no need in here to transform my apartment into an arcade gaming hall ;).

I`m looking forward when FS releases, its going to get interesting here.

Btw. I get much better landscape when searching for Saba X-Plane videos:

Saba X-Plane #01

Saba X-Plane #02

Might be Add-Ons, but a new X-Plane might also release in some years, and I think the one who use simulators for education will stick to what is right now available.

Edited by BigDee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BigDee said:

Btw. I get much better landscape when searching for Saba X-Plane videos:

Pretty much any SABA scenery is better than FSX/P3D default! 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins