Sign in to follow this  
Slides

X-Plane 11 vs. FS2020: Visuals

1 hour ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Obviously XP11 isn't at that level but can be made to be so,

LOL.

7 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

I would not expect bloody great blobs of dirt that size of one's fist flying through the air which is why someone fixed it years ago.

Hm.  Well, if they fixed it years ago, the same fix might still work.  Lots of things are similar in MSFS to the previous sims.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

5 minutes ago, Keyholebud said:

LOL.

And here is my flying experience, with XP11, ortho with overlays, done my myself the entire province of BC.

Which connect to Orbx's WA, OR, CA and a couple of other folks orthos for entire USA.  Best flying I've had bare none.  I expect that the new MSFS will match this of course.  I can take mine anywhere without internet connect which is great for when I take off in my RV to spend winters somewhere warm and sunny with no internet connection (I have a flightsim setup in my RV).

Q6rr5UG.jpg

mxoN0er.jpg

bOxp3ZC.jpg

ojzYmsq.jpg

• Like 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

50 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

XP11+ still doesn't compare to what MSFS202 has stock. Not to mention the "tons" of addons required to get XP11 up to half-speed. So a comparison to MSFS2020 stock to XP11 "loaded" shows just how far MSFS2020 has come.

I certainly don't want to have to "chase" after a good time...loading in addons, downloading freeware from the org (this requires that you also have that)...FlywithLuey....payware from the flight sim stores....dropping something in this folder....edit this file...oh wait, this really impacts performance...etc. The "Frankenstein" sim setups are no longer relevant thanks to MSFS2020.

There is something to be said for firing up a sim, and getting the latest tech / best visuals stock.

And I don't see any advantage over "not" having to stream scenery...considering that I am streaming 4k movies / shows on a daily basis...data streaming is more of a norm these days.

I agree.  see my post above about snow birding with a flight sim setup and no internet, you see there are other permutations of flight simming where portability is an advantage.

I'm thinking though there will be plenty of folks jumping at adding their favourite planes, scenery and such as upgrades, as you are probably aware we all keep striving for perfection....just look at Orbx Directs offerings this morning...get out that charge card as I'm sure folks will be.

• Like 2

Near CAM3

@1st fltsimguy, your xp looks great compared to my xplane, but i mean... It cant hold a candle to MSFS in regards to atmosphere, lightning and the immersion. Xp (and indeed p3d) look so increadibly dull, lifeless, so distant from real life. They can be absolutely terrific in regards to simulation of flight, which is of course their main purpose. 

But then again, do real pilots only fly for the love of the airplanes, or do they love the experience of flying to places, enjoy looking out their windows and enjoy the wonders of the world, the nature and the sunsets and sunrises? I'm sure many would agree with me that the whole experience of flight is more than the cockpit and the systems. I don't say that to belittle the importance of those, because if this only was a world simulator it would only hold my attention for a little while. However, if it was a re-iteration of p3d or xp11 with the exact same visuals but even better flight models, that would not make me feel as giddy as I am feeling right now in anticipation of 18th of August. 

• Like 8

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

3 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

I agree.  see my post above about snow birding with a flight sim setup and no internet, you see there are other permutations of flight simming where portability is an advantage.

I'm thinking though there will be plenty of folks jumping at adding their favourite planes, scenery and such as upgrades, as you are probably aware we all keep striving for perfection....just look at Orbx Directs offerings this morning...get out that charge card as I'm sure folks will be.

For me…my “buck” stops with MSFS….the party is over…even for third party developers.

I never liked Orbx selling a piece of the world at a time. I would not buy any additional airports / scenery. I am not looking for perfection….just immersion that is “good” enough.

MSFS2020 stock is good enough, clouds….good enough, default airports...good enough. For me, MSFS brings the balance that I was looking for all along. Gone are the days of installing payware / freeware to improve the sim.

If I spend any additional money, it will be for planes / helos that add to the sim, not replace anything.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

For me…my “buck” stops with MSFS….the party is over…even for third party developers.

I never liked Orbx selling a piece of the world at a time. I would not buy any additional airports / scenery. I am not looking for perfection….just immersion that is “good” enough.

MSFS2020 stock is good enough, clouds….good enough, default airports...good enough. For me, MSFS brings the balance that I was looking for all along. Gone are the days of installing payware / freeware to improve the sim.

If I spend any additional money, it will be for planes / helos that add to the sim, not replace anything.

Your reaction is probably scary to many developers. I can totally understand them. However, I also agree with you that I much prefer a sim like MSFS where there is so much included in the base package. I mean, I cant even begin to count the dollars I spent on quite the banale things in my older sims to make it look or behave "just a little better".

So what I hope is that the various addon devs dont go out of business. We actually need them to keep our hobby vitalized and healthy, but there is a balance. With MSFS supplying so much already as default, I hope devs get more creative and add to the sim in more interesting ways than before. Of course we will continue to have addon devs that focus on airports and airplanes, but I don't hope that that's all we are getting. I hope for more creativity from them at this point. Perhaps this is the paradigm shift that will make or break those devs based on their creativity. 

So if the wheel is already supplied, the race is on to who can put it to good use 😉

• Like 3

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

15 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I cant even begin to count the dollars I spent on quite the banale things in my older sims to make it look or behave "just a little better".

You know I have always been a freeware kind of guy. But the new Sim has me thinking. New platform? Im looking at the new Orbx airport screenshots that are out there. I just might open my wallet for some of them. IDK whats changed in my thinking. but maybe its worth it now cause its all new.

1 hour ago, FlyBaby said:

1 hour ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Your reaction is probably scary to many developers. I can totally understand them. However, I also agree with you that I much prefer a sim like MSFS where there is so much included in the base package. I mean, I cant even begin to count the dollars I spent on quite the banale things in my older sims to make it look or behave "just a little better".

So what I hope is that the various addon devs dont go out of business. We actually need them to keep our hobby vitalized and healthy, but there is a balance. With MSFS supplying so much already as default, I hope devs get more creative and add to the sim in more interesting ways than before. Of course we will continue to have addon devs that focus on airports and airplanes, but I don't hope that that's all we are getting. I hope for more creativity from them at this point. Perhaps this is the paradigm shift that will make or break those devs based on their creativity. 

So if the wheel is already supplied, the race is on to who can put it to good use 😉

I've said this for years, quite frankly I look at it like buying an e-bike. I would rather pay $2,000 right up front and get the full meal deal...I hate the slow painful death of addons payware.

Near CAM3

1 hour ago, FlyBaby said:

And that is your choice, of course.. Spend $100 and that is it.

I would hazard a guess that most flightsimmers will have their credit cards ready for addons.

I am already looking at Orbx KORS, and we have not even started.

Also, you might consider that future enhancements from MS/Asobo need to be paid for somehow.. and the addons may just contribute to that effort (from which you benefit) if MS takes a cut of 3rd party content.. 😉

Bert

4 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

@1st fltsimguy, your xp looks great compared to my xplane, but i mean... It cant hold a candle to MSFS in regards to atmosphere, lightning and the immersion. Xp (and indeed p3d) look so increadibly dull, lifeless, so distant from real life. They can be absolutely terrific in regards to simulation of flight, which is of course their main purpose. 

But then again, do real pilots only fly for the love of the airplanes, or do they love the experience of flying to places, enjoy looking out their windows and enjoy the wonders of the world, the nature and the sunsets and sunrises? I'm sure many would agree with me that the whole experience of flight is more than the cockpit and the systems. I don't say that to belittle the importance of those, because if this only was a world simulator it would only hold my attention for a little while. However, if it was a re-iteration of p3d or xp11 with the exact same visuals but even better flight models, that would not make me feel as giddy as I am feeling right now in anticipation of 18th of August. 

Absolutely.  I love the technical stuff and will only fly 3D cockpits.  Jokingly, the more buttons and switches the better.

• Like 1

Near CAM3

16 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

And that is your choice, of course.. Spend $100 and that is it.

I would hazard a guess that most flightsimmers will have their credit cards ready for addons.

I am already looking at Orbx KORS, and we have not even started.

Also, you might consider that future enhancements from MS/Asobo need to be paid for somehow.. and the addons may just contribute to that effort (from which you benefit) if MS takes a cut of 3rd party content.. 😉

That’s a good point…financing development.

I was so sure that MSFS2020 would charge a subscription for the data streaming and further development. I was willing to pay it. I also thought they would only allow DLC to be sold in their store for a cut of the price (similar to Google / Apple apps).

So it is a mystery to me how MS will make much money with their current pricing model, but I imagine that they know how to pay their bills and satisfy the stockholders better than I do.

Although I am determined not to get addons outside of planes, the money monster still eats in the end. The rig I am trying to build will now have the upcoming 3000 series card given that I can’t find any RTX 2080 TIs these days. I am determined run MSFS2020…all sliders to the right…at 1080p.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

There is no question in my mind, I WILL be buying addons for planes and scenery. As you mention.  I'm big on GA flying therefore Orbx GA airports are very attractive to me and they are top notch.  I'll buy the entire suite before this is out I'm thinking.

Near CAM3

3 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

That’s a good point…financing development.

I was so sure that MSFS2020 would charge a subscription for the data streaming and further development. I was willing to pay it. I also thought they would only allow DLC to be sold in their store for a cut of the price (similar to Google / Apple apps).

So it is a mystery to me how MS will make much money with their current pricing model, but I imagine that they know how to pay their bills and satisfy the stockholders better than I do.

Have they stated anywhere that they won't start charging for streaming scenery data down the road?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

1 hour ago, odourboy said:

Have they stated anywhere that they won't start charging for streaming scenery data down the road?

Anything is possible...but, frankly, I was sure FS2020 was going to be subscription-only (and that based on both the direction the market is heading, plus Microsoft's own past track record with Office).  It turns out that isn't the case.  Now, I guess it theoretically could be the case that they're just doing without one to get the installed base up and get people abandoning other sims, and, once they have the market to themselves, they'll start bringing in the mandatory subscription for streaming scenery but, in that case, I'm wondering  how many people will just drop to offline mode and start buying old-fashioned graphic add-ons (which would surely emerge in the wake of such a decision) instead.  

One may as well worry about the possibility of Microsoft, after a couple of years, deciding that FS2020 isn't the cash cow they expected, and pulling the plug/shutting down the scenery servers.

The fact is, there's any number of possible "catastrophic scenarios" out there.  No point in worrying about them all.  FWIW, I'm getting FS2020...but I'm also not bailing on P3D or XP, and, in fact, am hoping that later iterations of each might bring some of the "killer app" features currently only in FS2020.  In the long run, competition is good for the hobby as a whole.

• Like 1

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080