Sign in to follow this  
pinlifter

Microsoft Flight Simulator...then and now

I still remember the first time flying as a little tike on a Timex Sinclair T1000.  Mom and Dad would have to make me go to bed😂

• Like 6

Chris Sunseri

Airline Transport Pilot by Sublogic in 1990 was the ultimate flightsim for me.

• Like 2

Fun to see old sim and how far this has actually been allowed to develop over the years. But not so fun to realize that the years have passed very quickly since I first became acquainted with Flightsim for the very first time in '84.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fitz505 said:

Airline Transport Pilot by Sublogic in 1990 was the ultimate flightsim for me.

How did you deal with the twitchy elevator response?  I found it nearly unflyable and gave up.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

They seem to be very consequent with the graphics performance. :P

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Ah, memories. I started with FS2 as a kid and have loved flight sims of all brands and versions ever since. FS2002 was probably my favorite version simply because the fidelity made such a significant jump from FS2000 which was really a dog in terms of performance.

Chris

I started with War birds 2 in 1999.seems like forever ago.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

6 minutes ago, BIGSKY said:

I started with War birds 2 in 1999.seems like forever ago.

My last job before I retired. 😄 About the time you started with it.  Was pretty cool, wasn't it?

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

OMG , started on Air warrior on CompuServe. Fun days!

Semper Fi 

There was a twitchy elevator response?  After 30 years. I can't even remember what I used for a joy stick. I think it was a small simple device or maybe just  the keyboard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fitz505 said:

There was a twitchy elevator response?  After 30 years. I can't even remember what I used for a joy stick. I think it was a small simple device or maybe just  the keyboard.

Thanks, I should have tried the keyboard instead.  I had one of the early CH Products joysticks.  This was before I'd learned to edit files to fix things like twitchy responses.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I still remember bothering my neighbor pretty much everyday to use his FS 5.1. Once I got hold of a copy, I would lean a chair against my yoke to allow a leveled flight because I still had not figured the default Learjet's autopilot out.

• Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Video i created.

Flight Simulator history

<iframe width="1006" height="575" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ftgzbvn1CiU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Rivest 266
  • Like 1

Nice. I love those vids about old games. The first flight sim I played was FS 5.1. We had a Mac back then so I had to play it at my neighbour‘s. The first one I owned was FS 95. Good old memories. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2