Sign in to follow this  
jlund

Azure or Blackshark AI?

We have heard a lot about Asobo having their Azure AI to generate non photogrammetry cities and areas. Now in the latest parner ship video there's a "new" player, called Blackshark, in the game.

What and how do they differenciate from each other or what does Azure do and what does Blackshark do? 

I have seen the videos about it, but I still don't get it.  Yes, I may be a slow learner, so please explain it to me in a " for dummies" way.

• Like 1

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Just think of Azure as a farm of computers...Blackshark develop the AI algorithms and the technology to scrape the satellite imagery into the world you see and the Azure cloud is where they process everything. Because you need a lot of computing power to process every inch of the world and turn it into something the Simulator can render. So what they are probably doing is dividing the world in segments and each segment runs on a computer in the Azure cloud to be processed and the final output put into the virtual world. 

Edited by highflyer2020
  • Like 3

Azure is the IT infrastructure providing the processing and capacity to perform the algorithms designed by blackshark.

• Like 2

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

In other words, they're dependant on each other? Azure needs the algorithms to compute the world, and Blackshark needs the computer power of Azure, to create the building blocks of the world?

• Like 2

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

1 hour ago, jlund said:

In other words, they're dependant on each other?

Correct.

For a mammoth task like this one needs tens of thousands of computers (enter Azure). Those computers need crafty machine learning programs to give us what we want (enter Blackshark).

Azure is also being used to run the multiplayer where they just scale to more and more computers as demand dictates. In other words, multiplayer runs on a single server that just happens to be a massive cluster with dynamic load matching capability.

When you think about it, these two technologies basically mean there will never be competition that can match this, not unless Google or Amazon decide to enter the flight sim arena or are subcontracted by someone. Then again, Google might considering they have invested in Stadia which is an allied technology to MFS.

• Upvote 1

Black Shark Matters!

• Like 8

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

10 hours ago, Bottle said:

When you think about it, these two technologies basically mean there will never be competition that can match this, not unless Google or Amazon decide to enter the flight sim arena or are subcontracted by someone. 

Lockheed Martin has the intellectual assets and a product not far from what  BSai does. They also use Azure for other purposes and are working with Amazon. A pity to see Prepar3D in a dead-end. I hope they will get the waking  call before MS brings FS20 to the institutional market.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

20 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I hope they will get the waking  call before MS brings FS20 to the institutional market.

LM is currently using and building on Microsoft's ESP, under license. So who's they say Microsoft wasn't planning on developing the current MFS into another licensable platform in the future, once they've made back some money in retail sales and DLC. Then they can make money on the license and we might see P3D morph into their custom training version of MFS. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Duplicate

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

18 minutes ago, Sethos said:

LM is currently using and building on Microsoft's ESP, under license. So who's they say Microsoft wasn't planning on developing the current MFS into another licensable platform in the future, once they've made back some money in retail sales and DLC. Then they can make money on the license and we might see P3D morph into their custom training version of MFS. 

We can speculate at length, MS licensed a product they didn’t want to use anymore. And twice, smart guys !   Not sure that they’d want to license a product they do use and sell. Specially they go to the pro market. Microsoft is also a defense contractor after all.

But that was not my point in answering Bottle. Lockheed Martin has its own technological means to compete with the new MS flight simulator. I wish them a bit more proactive than patching the ESP a sixth time or even licensing FS20.

Dominique

2 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

A pity to see Prepar3D in a dead-end.

I don't see it as a dead end.  Sure, the current version is based on older technology, except for Enhanced Atmospherics which isn't even finished yet.  But what might P3Dv6 be like?  Imagine a partnership between Lockheed Martin, Google and Hifi (makers of Active Sky) to bring a "generation after next" flight sim to market.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

One thing we can say for certain no one will be using Google earth to build a flight sim on, on the new streaming platforms coming in the next few years from Amazon Apple and Google or can WE!!!

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

21 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

One thing we can say for certain no one will be using Google earth to build a flight sim on, on the new streaming platforms coming in the next few years from Amazon Apple and Google or can WE!!!

If it's not Google, Apple or Amazon itself, it is doubtful.

Otherwise you would have to pay them, which is probably more expensive than if you can do it in-house. Thus you will either need a really well flourishing addon market with integrated market-place or a paid subscription.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 minute ago, tweekz said:

If it's not Google, Apple or Amazon itself, it is doubtful.

Otherwise you would have to pay them and is probably more expensive than if you can do it in-house. Thus you will either need a really well flourishing addon market with integrated market-place or a paid subscription.

Google have all the tools but do they want to for a niche product.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Just now, G-RFRY said:

Google have all the tools but do they want to for a niche product.

That's the point. I see no indication they're willing to dig deep into the gaming market, especially on a well populated niche.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved