Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Help me pick a GA to fly around the world with

I am currently planning several long distance flights (multi-legs) around the globe to enjoy the world in all its splendor in MSFS. I'm not quite sure which GA plane to pick from to do that, though, and I would very much appreciate your suggestions. Here are some things I value with the plane I'm gonna pick:

• Must be a good view in the cockpit with the instrumentation and dashboard not being obtrusive
  • Must have a somewhat decent range, though I am not neccessairly going to fly over large bodies of water (I'm here to see the world, not the water)
  • Not be an absolute snail
  • And hopefully be interesting to fly 🙂

Any suggestions? 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

20 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I am currently planning several long distance flights (multi-legs) around the globe to enjoy the world in all its splendor in MSFS. I'm not quite sure which GA plane to pick from to do that, though, and I would very much appreciate your suggestions. Here are some things I value with the plane I'm gonna pick:

• Must be a good view in the cockpit with the instrumentation and dashboard not being obtrusive
  • Must have a somewhat decent range, though I am not neccessairly going to fly over large bodies of water (I'm here to see the world, not the water)
  • Not be an absolute snail
  • And hopefully be interesting to fly 🙂

Any suggestions? 

May be a bit before any GA payware aircraft Releases. If your planning to start right away with default maybe the TBM(not sure if it classified as a GA)? I’m not familiar with TBM tho so it could be the wrong aircraft for the mission, but it’s the one that comes to mind.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

The TBM is really fast, and I like that. It's also interesting to fly, but I have at least one objection to it: The dashboard obstructs the view too much. I'm also worried that it wont manage to squeeze in to the off-the-beaten-track airfields I will have to land on, and not to mention take off again from. 

Andreas Stangenes

I'm going to do this with the TBM. It has the legs and speed. I've decided to start at the Bodeaux Airport which I think they use for some of their new planes.

• Like 1

Just now, Andreas Stangenes said:

The TBM is really fast, and I like that. It's also interesting to fly, but I have at least one objection to it: The dashboard obstructs the view too much. I'm also worried that it wont manage to squeeze in to the off-the-beaten-track airfields I will have to land on, and not to mention take off again from. 

Im not too familiar with the dashboard on this one, I will go and google for my personal learning. From what I gather It’s quick though which would help for a round the world trip....I think it would be dreadful to do it In something like a Cessna 172 

• Like 1

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

For speed and agility, for sure it will be great. However, it guzzles fuel like no tomorrow. Even though it has relatively high vref speeds, the reverse/beta range helps to stop it pretty quick. I'm just worried that the cockpit itself is too focused on the instrumentation. I'd like more windows and and less dashboard than the tbm offers tbh. 

• Upvote 1

Andreas Stangenes

3 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

The dashboard obstructs the view too much

Then in that case the either the JMB VL-3 or the Cirrus SR22. I think the VL-3 has the best view but might not have as much fuel capacity as the SR22.

• Like 1

I'll be in C172. Low and slow - more than anything due to my settings - and, I want to see everything.

Also, I haven't flown a Cessna yet, real world - only PA-28 variants.

I fancy a high wing thing. . .when you look down in a Piper you can't see the ground - just the Hershey Bars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Im not too familiar with the dashboard on this one, I will go and google for my personal learning. From what I gather It’s quick though which would help for a round the world trip....I think it would be dreadful to do it In something like a Cessna 172 

Well, I didn't mention anything on how long I'm doing this for 😄 I can take my time. Ie, when I visit certain regions, I will have to probably fly a bit off my planned route to make sure that I see the sights while I'm there. I'm not going to do this trip "just to do it", but to explore. I dont think the tbm is the best option for exploration. 

Andreas Stangenes

2 minutes ago, Bottle said:

Then in that case the either the JMB VL-3 or the Cirrus SR22. I think the VL-3 has the best view but might not have as much fuel capacity as the SR22.

I will look into those suggestions. Thanks Bottle 🙂 

Andreas Stangenes

2 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I'll be in C172. Low and slow - more than anything due to my settings - and, I want to see everything.

Also, I haven't flown a Cessna yet, real world - only PA-28 variants.

I fancy a high wing thing. . .when you look down in a Piper you can't see the ground - just the Hershey Bars.

I am seriously contemplating doing so myself. The c172 isn't THAT slow (it's not at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to GA speed). It has a nice pretty open cockpit, so sure, it's a serious contender 🙂 

Andreas Stangenes

Just now, Andreas Stangenes said:

I will look into those suggestions. Thanks Bottle 🙂 

As mentioned above by someone else, may a high wing aircraft is best for this...visibility.

id like to do one of these as well, I may use the cirrus

• Like 1

FSW Cessna C441 Conquest II

Can be flown solo, has turboprop speed (340mph) and reliability (Garrett TPE331s), yet stalls at a comfortable 75 knots with full flaps, so can get into small strips. 2,500 mile range, 2,500 fpm climb rate, 35,000 foot service ceiling, 4,500 lb useful load for additional tank installation.

Accept no substitute. Unless it is the Lionheart Bellanca Turbo Viking, which is awesome if you want to use a single-engined aeroplane instead of a twin. If you want super-duper realism though, consider the A2A Commanche 250.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The Caravan isn't exactly GA, but it's a high wing aircraft, has decent range and speed but can also land on less than optimal runways.

• Upvote 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5