Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

St Maarten to San Juan (TBM930) (TNCM-TJSJ)

15 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

LOL! You Sir are correct! 

Thank you, Sir! 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

9 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

What do you mean? You think there aren't two million cities in MSFS?

Correct. I think, in general, that a population of 100,000 would comprise a small city. Dividing the world population of 7.8 billion by 2 million, gives you 3,900 people per city. That's about the amount of people that live in my little suburb. There's no way I'd call my suburb a city. I know standards in the USA do vary and that even Placitas, New Mexico is a city. Not that I'd call it one....sorry any residents of Placitas 😉

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

Just now, Shug said:

Correct. I think, in general, that a population of 100,000 would comprise a small city. Dividing the world population of 7.8 billion by 2 million, gives you 3,900 people per city. That's about the amount of people that live in my little suburb. There's no way I'd call my suburb a city. I know standards in the USA do vary and that even Placitas, New Mexico is a city. Not that I'd call it one....sorry any residents of Placitas 😉

Norway is a small country with a population of just about 6m. Most of our cities have less than 200.000 inhabitants, and quite a lot of them have less than 100k. I think what you end up calling a city will be relative to which country you live in. Most of our "cities" wouldn't qualify for a city status in many other countries 😉

• Upvote 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

The city I grew up in has 10.000 residents, and it was definitely a "Stadt" by law. Even says so on the town sign. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

As release is coming closer, I think it's important to approach MSFS with as few preconceived opinions and expectations from previous sims as possible.

I can't stress this one enough.  It was a turning point for me when I stopped thinking of MSFS in terms of P3D and started thinking of it as a totally new flight sim.  It makes a difference.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

8 hours ago, LHookins said:

We thought there would be a bit more progress. 🙂  We thought the sim would have a little more time to bake.  Then we started seeing full videos from reviewers.

The real proof will be flying.  GA is better than airliner.  

And no matter what anyone says about flight models, I'm finding the GA aircraft to be very pleasant to fly.  Real life pilots on the Beta forum are a lot more forgiving than the simmers.

Hook

As a real-life pilot I’m glad to hear that. The guy in this video knows everything about LNAV but has trouble trimming an airplane. Now that I think about it, that’s like a lot of airline pilots!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hangar said:

See this is why I don't understand those who may be disheartened to find out that not everything is going to be quite as rosy and perfect as they thought. Why did they think it would be perfect? I dont recall anyone from any of the marketing ads and videos promising that the sim would be perfect. Please give the link to that if I'm wrong but I cannot imagine that I am.

The hype was created mostly by fans of the series from what I've seen. There is going to be lots of improvements, and lots of ground work being laid to assure improvements in the future as well...but perfection? pffft, nah...there will be alot to like and there will also be alot of adjustments and growing pains as well. Nothing will be too good to be true out of the box, nor in 10 years even. Give & take folks...use common sense and temper your expectations.

It's going to take time to have all your favorite aircraft flying the way you want and all your airports and scenery just the way you want...and all the weather & atc as perfect as you can get it, etc. You should already realize this going in...stop buying into the hype, especially that which is mostly based on hope & imagination, not facts.

Like I said, the tone sure is changing as we get closer to the release date. The amount of people bashing P3Dv5 and going on and on about how amazing MSFS was going to be in the last 6 months has not been small. 

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I admit to being puzzled though. Were you, or somebody else out there honestly expecting an absolutely perfect product?

Oh boy, you haven’t been reading the P3Dv5 forums since it came out, have you? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Oh boy, you haven’t been reading the P3Dv5 forums since it came out, have you? 

They are mostly a no fly zone for me. 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

They are mostly a no fly zone for me. 

Count yourself lucky. I mean I realize it’s not MS’s fault, but the MSFS “fans” over there have been unbearable. Don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to this sim. But I’ve always had a wait and see attitude. Remember how good Flight was supposed to be. 

Edited by mtr75
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Remember how good Flight was supposed to be. 

Actually, I remember how good Flight actually was.  A limited number of great aircraft, an excellent flight model, gorgeous terrain (in Hawaii at least), lousy sky ( 😄 ), plenty of fun things to do, good community.  It was too limited and I eventually went back to FSX.  When I saw the Icon in the early video I thought MSFS might be Flight with the entire world, and I smiled.

"Wait and see" is a good thing.  That's what I'm doing even though I'm in the Beta.

There was some unfortunate timing on the release of P3Dv5 with Enhanced Atmospherics in a beta state.  Why would I want to spend $200 to upgrade to v5 from v4 with MSFS so close?  Some P3Ders were overly sensitive to this, and yes, there were some MSFS jerks who were as bad as XPlane jerks used to be with their drive-by P3D bashings.  I'm hoping for a very interesting P3Dv6 myself now that MSFS has raised the bar.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

On 8/9/2020 at 6:12 PM, hangar said:

It's going to take time to have all your favorite aircraft flying the way you want and all your airports and scenery just the way you want...and all the weather & atc as perfect as you can get it, etc. 

It's going to take a decade and more before everything is the way avsim simmers want it.  By that time a lot of avsim members are going to be pushing up daisies, or sitting in a wheelchair, sucking up nutritious liquids through a straw. 

Meanwhile, the base simulator + fixes is going to provide the kind of enjoyment that FSX, XPlane, and P3D couldn't and can't.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

By that time a lot of avsim members are going to be pushing up daisies, or sitting in a wheelchair, sucking up nutritious liquids through a straw. 

I think you just nailed my future!

• Like 1

May all your landings be safe ones!

Hugh Costello - NZWN

59 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

By that time a lot of avsim members are going to be pushing up daisies, or sitting in a wheelchair, sucking up nutritious liquids through a straw.

Silly person!

While I'm not quite to the point of pushing up daisies, I already use a wheelchair as my desk chair (they're made for people who have to sit a lot so they're comfortable for long periods) and I sometimes use a straw for my Diet Coke, which is more "nutritious" than the sweetened stuff. 😄 

Will MSFS *ever* be exactly the way Avsimmers want?

Note:  The wheelchair is for gout attacks which fortunately haven't happened in years. But it's the most comfortable desk chair I've ever had. 😄 

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins