Any thoughts on i9-10900kf vs. recommnded ideal i7-9800x? Any downside with i9 vs i7-9800x?

Graphic card would be anyway 2080TI w 11GB and RAM 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz. 

i am about to order a prebuilt Alienware.

What do you have at home? You can cut spending if you don't take prebuilt PC's.

I did this the first time with my current setup where I had to exchange pretty much everything except the GPU, my storage devices, the casing and the power supply unit and all in all I only spend 650€.

And assembling the PC is not different from assembling IKEA furniture.

Edited by Farlis

3 minutes ago, Farlis said:

What do you have at home? You can cut spending if you don't take prebuilt PC's.

And assembling the PC is not different from assembling IKEA furniture.

Only easier!

• Upvote 1

Got nothing - an 7 year old 4770k. 
 But with two small kids, prebuilt is attractive 😊

1 hour ago, JU108 said:

Any downside with i9 vs i7-9800x?

The i9 is a pig when it comes to power consumption and heat. Make sure you get a very good CPU cooler, especially if you want to keep the fan noise down.

If I were buying an Intel I think I'd take an i7-10700k over the i9-10900k. I assume the cost bonus isn't worth the performance bonus. But nevertheless I'd wait at last 1-2 more weeks until the game is released and people tell their experiences with various systems.

I'm gonna wait until the new AMD Ryzen Generation is out to make a choice. Because tbh, I spent much more time on my computer doing different things than flight simming and even the Ryzen CPU's of the current generation are cheaper and have a better performance as long as you're not playing games that don't support proper multi core usage.

I would focus on an i5.  Nothing we sim with will use the pretend cores that i7/9 comes with and they generate useless heat.  Save your money.

spacer.png

I just moved away from Intel after being a customer since the 90's, I'm fed up with their system of making motherboards deliberately incompatible just after one generation.

AMD gives you considerably more bang for the buck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JU108 said:

That was were I started from. Keep the casing and your drives and consider building from scratch. As soon as all components have arrived that is a matter of about 3-4 hours until everything is set up and ready.

I believe that GPU will be more important than CPU on MSFS.

Let's say that I saw a guy on YouTube with the same config as mine and, generally, the processor usage would be at 30-40%, whereas the GPU core load would consistely be at 100%.

Looking forward for the 3090...

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Yup, after years of having to have a Cray supercomputer just to get past the fact that the architecture of the old FS sims was so reliant on the CPU, we're finally getting something which uses the GPU properly. My advice would be to try a fancy game or sim that's reasonably recent with decent graphics; something like DCS World, Black Desert Online, Skyrim, Train Sim or European Truck Sim. These are more akin to how the new sim uses a PC's hardware rather than FSX. If your PC can run those, It'll probably run the new MS sim pretty well.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, JU108 said:

Several Alpha/Beta testers who are using Haswell CPUs are saying that the simulator runs fine on their systems. I don't think you should replace your CPU yet. Take some time to experiment with your current one, and maybe look into upgrading once the next generation of CPUs come out, within the next 6-7 months or so.

I would strongly recommend not going with Comet Lake. It's based on an old architecture with several security vulnerabilities and no PCIe 4.0 support, let alone the exorbitant power consumption requirements and the heat that comes with it. Also if you're going pre-built, it would be best to choose a brand that lists the specific PSU and storage that will be going into the PC. Alienware do not do this, and at their price points, it is just unacceptable.

2 hours ago, JU108 said:

i am about to order a prebuilt Alienware.

I was looking at an Alienware. However, they have a very inexpensive 120mm AIO water cooler which is barely marginal for a big 10900 without overclocking, much less when you do overclock it. 

If you have to have a prebuilt system I would recommend ibuypower.com where you can combine parts to your content building a PC that is suited to your individual tastes. There are also more boutique sites like CLX and Maingear that over overclocked from the builder systems with 3 year warranties. 

I have a i7 4770K with a GTX 1070 and can run the beta just fine at higher graphic settings. In fact my CPU is slacking and there is plenty of room. High speed SSDs, GPU, lots of RAM, and a fast broadband internet are much more needed. I am waiting for Vermeer, the RTX 3000, and Big Navi to be bench tested before I commit to a new computer. 

• Like 1