Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

First Products Announced at Orbx

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Glad to see they are bring across London City Airport. In my opinion that's the best airport in the country with the stunning approach, across Canary Wharf. So both London City and the London Enhancement Pack are going to be instant pickups for me. London with the correct landmarks is going to be mind blowing in this new sim. 

The prices even for new users seem really good. $14.99 for London City so, £11 seems like a steal for such a good Airport for people who don't already own it. Very Happy with this announcement!

• Like 1

These will sell like hot cakes if also placed in the marketplace. Very smart move. Hopefully it will set a precedent for other add-ons.

I'm wondering how well they will integrate with the different types of scenery though. I guess they are creating them with the online mode as the base, but hopefully they will be compatible enough with offline as well.

• Like 1

Decent prices. They're going to sell like hotcakes given MSFS's broad appeal.

• Upvote 1

Next year will be amazing time. 
so much content coming.

Edited by zemez
  • Like 3

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

“Game changing” has been used many times over the past 12 months in relation to MFS, but I put it to you that the OrbX prices also warrant that description and applause. I think they are the first 3PD to declare MFS prices and I hope it sets the precedent. Realistic prices for large volume sales. I tip my hat to my fellow Aussies for showing some good business sense. I’ve only ever purchased one add in the past (a Carenado plane) but I can see myself buy many from now on.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

These will sell like hot cakes if also placed in the marketplace. Very smart move. Hopefully it will set a precedent for other add-ons.

I'm wondering how well they will integrate with the different types of scenery though. I guess they are creating them with the online mode as the base, but hopefully they will be compatible enough with offline as well.

I just immediately worry how stable the market might be for some of it.

For instance, airports (and aircraft) will absolutely always sell, but Microsoft could easily and even accidentally undercut a scenery area by simply updating it with photogrammetry, or detailed blackshark stuff, at essentially any time in the indeterminate future. 😕

I imagine the various third parties must be scrambling to identify appropriate niches and hoping to avoid that.

And of course remaining hopeful that things like X-plane, P3D and heck, maybe even Aerofly remain relevant over the medium and long term as far as current and potential markets.

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

23 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Don’t worry about it. Online and offline blend well. 😉

4 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

For instance, airports (and aircraft) will absolutely always sell, but Microsoft could easily and even accidentally undercut a scenery area by simply updating it with photogrammetry, or detailed blackshark stuff, at essentially any time in the indeterminate future. 😕

We'll see, but I expect at least for the addons sold via the integrated marketplace, too, this should be regulated. But it's indeed a valid concern.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

6 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I just immediately worry how stable the market might be for some of it.

I imagine the various third parties must be scrambling to identify appropriate niches and hoping to avoid that.

And of course remaining hopeful that things like X-plane, P3D and heck, maybe even Aerofly remain relevant over the medium and long term as far as current and potential markets.

A nicely handcrafted city will still be superior to photogrammetry

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The ‘landmark’ package just shows the magnificence of the approach that Asobo have taken. 

The base quality of the autograph/AI is so good that all you have to do to massively improve an area is to build really quite simple landmarks. You don’t have to build everything from scratch, just make a couple of tweaks here and there and you’ve got an incredibly realistic depiction of a city with completely accurate landmarks. 

Theres a thread on here complaining about Washington DC. Just stick a few custom landmarks in there, a couple of colour/autogen adjustments and you’re absolutely laughing. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, pmb said:

We'll see, but I expect at least for the addons sold via the integrated marketplace, too, this should be regulated. But it's indeed a valid concern.

Kind regards, Michael

Yeah, that's kind of even why i mentioned it. Hopefully these things are being thought of and addressed.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 minutes ago, cepact said:

A nicely handcrafted city will still be superior to photogrammetry

This.

Soon after release, people will realize that photogrammetry has its limits. It looks fantastic from a certain distance, but when you get very close, things tend to fall apart, especially with complex shapes, overhanging structures, things like towers, masts or similar stuff. 

Photogrammetry should be seen as a relatively low-workload way to create accurate and detailed city scapes, but it's not a substitute for detailed custom 3D objects.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

It is only to be expected that this will happen in the long term, which is why I think the days of global scenery and regions are over. We will probably see more of those enhancement packs, which will improve the current scenery at a low cost so that customers won't feel cheated when the base scenery suddenly becomes better. Though they might still have a use for those flying in offline mode due to data cap constraints.

I'm somewhat worried about the airports and the frequent world updates though. If the developers have to update them every time to ensure compatibility while matching the surrounding imagery, it could strain their relationship with Asobo. It might be better if they slow them down in the longer term.

13 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Don’t worry about it. Online and offline blend well. 😉

Good to know. I guess you know something more about this so I'll take your word.

1 minute ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Soon after release, people will realize that photogrammetry has its limits. It looks fantastic from a certain distance, but when you get very close, things tend to fall apart, especially with complex shapes, overhanging structures, things like towers, masts or similar stuff. 

Photogrammetry should be seen as a relatively low-workload way to create accurate and detailed city scapes, but it's not a substitute for detailed custom 3D objects.

As AI and imagery resolution improve, so will the photogrammetry. I'm sure there is still plenty of room for improvement in the technology. Some objects will have to be custom-made in order to look good for quite some time yet, but the base scenery already has many of those, and this is where enhancement packs come in.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty