Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

First Products Announced at Orbx

26 minutes ago, Bottle said:

I hope it sets the precedent. Realistic prices for large volume sales.  

I basically agree and I appreciate their smart pricing policy.

Setting a precedent for others is another matter. Venema has built a catalog of 200 or 300 products (I don't remember the exact figure). Orbx is in a better position than a developer with a small or very small catalog to minimize its margins to keep a certain level of revenue. 

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

21 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

For instance, airports (and aircraft) will absolutely always sell, but Microsoft could easily and even accidentally undercut a scenery area by simply updating it with photogrammetry, or detailed blackshark stuff, at essentially any time in the indeterminate future. 😕

I imagine the various third parties must be scrambling to identify appropriate niches and hoping to avoid that.

They're presumably just reusing all of the stuff they created for TrueEarth England, so nothing to lose. Creating new sets might be a different story.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

At the end of the day, the market will determine the pricing levels for all but a few products. I don't think it will take long for some developers to realise that their competitor's add-ons, which are going like hot cakes and actually making that developer more money through volume sales, is something they might want to also consider. Who wouldn't buy a cool add-on which everyone was raving on about if it was the price of a round of drinks in a pub?

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

They just need to get that XPlane version of Barton into the new sim.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

What a time to be a simmer 😮  This is looking better and better with each passing day, and we've not even started yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cepact said:

This is the pricing I want for the new sim:

Tiny Airports/Airfields: 3$ to 6$ 

Medium Airports : 6$ to 12$

International Airports : 10$ to 20$

Sceneries: 5$ to 25$ according to content size (starting from a few landmarks to an entire city)

Aircrafts : see majestic pricing of their Q400, I wish we could have the same for pmdg and others 

You make an airport/airfield, a tiny one to begin with if you are able to, or a scenery and you come back to report. You'll have an altogether different opinion on how to set a price.  I never sold anything but did some freeware though. It demands a great amount of work. And I used free tools (nothing to pay to Adobe etc.).

There is no reason why developers shouldn't get a fair amount of money from his or her work. 3 bucks for an airfield, with the dev getting one at the end ?  Are you kidding ? Same for the other price ranges of yours. Absurd. Why ? because with prices like that, we wouldn't have anything. People don't make the stuff we buy, as a charity.   

Frankly speaking, in many posts, some people are complaining about developer's greed.  What I mostly see, including in your post, is consumer's greed. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

You make an airport/airfield, a tiny one to begin with if you are able to, or a scenery and you come back to report. You'll have an altogether different opinion on how to set a price.  I never sold anything but did some freeware though. It demands a great amount of work. And I used free tools (nothing to pay to Adobe etc.).

There is no reason why developers shouldn't get a fair amount of money from his or her work. 3 bucks for an airfield, with the dev getting one at the end ?  Are you kidding ? Same for the other price ranges of yours. Absurd. Why ? because with prices like that, we wouldn't have anything. People don't make the stuff we buy, as a charity.   

Frankly speaking, in many posts, some people are complaining about developer's greed.  What I mostly see, including in your post, is consumer's greed. 

You should go take at look racing sim forums, there are people who moan & cry over an Officially released car costing no more than your average cup of coffee - I know they would have an aneurysm at the cost of Flight Sim DLC!

At the end of the day the content creator can price at whatever they want, it's entirely upto them. If people wanna pay they will pay, there's no need for anyone to moan about the cost as that's life...I want a Ferrari but I'm not gonna go moan to them that i want it cheaper!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

For instance, airports (and aircraft) will absolutely always sell, but Microsoft could easily and even accidentally undercut a scenery area by simply updating it with photogrammetry, or detailed blackshark stuff, at essentially any time in the indeterminate future. 

Addon scenery generally sits on a layer above the base/generic, with exclusion files to handle elevation or other generic problems. I'm sure there is a system in place to keep addon scenery from being covered up with world updates. And if the area gets an awesome world update, just uninstall the addon.

Edited by desbean

I would have NEVER expected prices like those!  Wow.  MFS is going to really be something to behold. 9 more days.

Stan

• Like 1

On the Orbx forum, Tony mentioned that they will be creating more Landmark Packs for more cities.

I would love to see ORBX create city landmarks for Rio de Janeiro, Hong Kong, Washington D.C., Sydney, Paris, Tokyo, Cape Town, Mexico City, Cairo, Mumbai, Dallas, etc., etc., etc.

• Like 2

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

The lighting and reflections are absolutely gorgeous, takes it all to the next level. 

• Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Good news indeed!

For UK I have only airports of the UK2000. Are there any news of them to join MFS club or would it be beat to leave them behind and continue with ORBX also in UK in the future?

This will be very strange issue if people buy scenery packs & then Asobo upgrades area's with photogrammetry. London for example needs upgrading for sure, not just landmarks. Handmade landmarks will be better quality then photogrammetry but not by much & so i can see people being a bit miffed paying for landmarks then maybe getting something pretty close to that for free afterwards. Especially if that happens on more then a couple occasions. 

1 minute ago, d25bev said:

This will be very strange issue if people buy scenery packs & then Asobo upgrades area's with photogrammetry. London for example needs upgrading for sure, not just landmarks. Handmade landmarks will be better quality then photogrammetry but not by much & so i can see people being a bit miffed paying for landmarks then maybe getting something pretty close to that for free afterwards. Especially if that happens on more then a couple occasions. 

The risks of life. If people get miffed over $8 they didn't have to spend, maybe they should seek out another hobby.

Edited by Farlis
  • Like 5