Sign in to follow this  
rich_cooke

Radar Contact & screen flickering P3D5 HF2

I have a strange issue with Radar Contact in P3D5 HF2.  It works fine and I always fly with it for IFR flights.  I have a triple monitor viewgroup and every 8 seconds or so the two outer monitors flash, as does the Radar Contact window. Strangely the centre window doesn't flash.  After half an hour or so, usually near top of climb the Radar Contact window flickers really fast.  Its unbearable on the eyes so reluctantly I shut down Radar Contact and then there's no flickering at all.  It makes no difference if I run Radar Contact remotely from my second PC as I still get the flashing.

I did a search for this but all the posts were old and related to AdvDisplay window.  I think Radar Contact doesn't use that any more but uses a SimConnect Window now?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I might start to troubleshoot this? I am desperate to get Radar Contact back, as flying without it is much less immersive.

Rich,

It sounds very much like a SimConnect issue as that’s the window RC uses when run on the same PC.

I don’t have P3Dv5 but if you run RC4 on a separate PC using WideFS and ShowText for the RC menu there should be no problems.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It's a known bug in P3Dv5--pretty much any open transparent text window can do it, but it goes away as soon as the window is off the screen.

I set a hotkey in FSUIPC to hide/unhide the Simconnect window, and before taxi I hide the window.  I can bring it up momentarily during the flight if I need it with the hotkey.

I had forgotten about ShowText, though...may have to give that a try, as I do run RC4 networked on a second PC.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

ShowText is available here. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

Far more elegant than SimConnect as you can choose the font and size.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks Ray and Bob for the suggestions.  I will try that and hope it brings Radar Contact back into use.

Rich Cooke

Rich, you’ll probably need to check the settings in FSUIPC for configuring how data is displayed via SimConnect.

This pinned topic, whilst old, should help. https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/272752-fsuipc-widefs-showtext-settings-for-rc-43/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray.  Thanks for the extra tips.  I've made some progress!  I have Show AdvDisplay on my flight PC and it is connected to  Radar Contact on my slave PC via WideFS.  At first I had both the AdvDisplay and the SimConnect windows but the settings in FSUIPC seem to have got rid of the simconnect window.  AdvDisplay is a separate window outside of P3D.  At first if I clicked on P3D it disappeared behind but I solved that when I found the "Stay on Top" option.  Is that how its meant to be?

The main issue I have now is that Radar Contact is not recognising the key presses on my flight PC e.g. option 2 is WX Brf on 12480 but hitting 2 is not doing anything.  I'll check the Radar Contact documentation.  My flight PC is out of action until Friday so I'll have another go then.  Thanks for your help.

Rich Cooke

Rich, don’t use AdvDisp. It’s years old. ShowText is much better. You don’t want any SimConnect windows associated with RC on the P3D display. You need to set options in FSUIPC as shown in the link by John Dekker. Given you’ve paid for WideFS use it to keep the RC menu on a separate PC.

Change the Keyboard option to set CTRL+2 for RC commands. You probably have a conflict. Alternatively CTRL+Shift+2 should also work. It depends on what addons you have that also work with keyboard commands.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 8/9/2020 at 11:39 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

ShowText is available here. https://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

Far more elegant than SimConnect as you can choose the font and size.

Dang, I had somehow gotten the idea from the docs that ShowText was only usable with the old AdvDisp.  Not so, it works great for multiline Simconnect windows with WideFS.  Thanks for kicking those cobwebs loose, Ray!  ShowText is a much, MUCH better way of doing things than that in-sim transparent SimConnect window, which had to be resized and moved every time I started RC4, and which was often hard to read depending what was behind it on the sim display.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

You’re welcome Bob. I’ve been using it for years with FSX, P3Dv3 and now v4.

If and when I move to v5 it will still work. It might even work with MFS as I understand work is ongoing with a version of FSUIPC for that. It will require WideClient to be changed and of course, Make Runways. If those can be successfully adapted we’re good for ever! 😀

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just wanted to say a belated thanks.  I have Radar Contact working perfectly now across 2 PCs.  I didn't have monitor space or speakers for my second PC.  I bought a cheap speaker to connect to my second PC and now have Show Text on my main PC and the sound coming from my second PC -- and no flickering!

Thanks Ray & Bob

Rich Cooke

@rich_cooke, thanks for feeding that info back. Glad you're able to continue enjoying RC4.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather