Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Ed_S_Pilot

Move P3D V5 to another drive....Do I.....

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Can i move P3D V5H2 "complete" to another drive or do i have to do a UN-install then complete re-install onto the other drive?

 

Thanks

Edited by Ed_S_Pilot

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB (FS2020-P3D-V5H2)

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Share this post


Link to post

Depends a little bit on what you are trying to accomplish.. if you want to move it to a bigger drive, you could copy everything over and rename the new drive to the old drive letter.. that would work.

In a more complex scenario, uninstalling and reinstalling may indeed be the simpler way to go..


Bert

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Depends a little bit on what you are trying to accomplish.. if you want to move it to a bigger drive, you could copy everything over and rename the new drive to the old drive letter.. that would work.

In a more complex scenario, uninstalling and reinstalling may indeed be the simpler way to go..

Thanks Bert,

 

I was looking to move all P3D to a larger drive. I'm not up to much on computer stuff. I think since i dont have a bunch of add ons and such. Just uninstalling and doing a reinstall to the bigger drive would be the better way to go, Because for sure, I would mess something up and be in the same boat anyways.... LOL

 

Thanks....


Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB (FS2020-P3D-V5H2)

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Share this post


Link to post

I think that is a good way to go Ed -- there are a number of folders created in your root drive that would need to be edited if the drive letter changes. An uninstall and reinstall would be the safest way to go IMHO.


Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, Blk Ed MB; Intel I7-4790K CPU (@4.5 Ghz); Deepcool 240 AIO Cooler; 16 Gb G.Skill RAM (F3-2400); Win10 Pro (P3D V5 HF2); 2 Samsung 1Tb SSDs;Toshiba 3Tb hard drive; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k;

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Ed_S_Pilot said:

Thanks Bert,

 

I was looking to move all P3D to a larger drive. I'm not up to much on computer stuff. I think since i dont have a bunch of add ons and such. Just uninstalling and doing a reinstall to the bigger drive would be the better way to go, Because for sure, I would mess something up and be in the same boat anyways.... LOL

 

Thanks....

If you just want to move to a larger drive, you can do that easily enough.. assuming that you do not have P3D installed on your C drive currently (!)  If it is on the C drive, then yes, uninstall, reinstall is the way to go.

If it is currently on your E drive (just to pick a letter), here is what you do:

1. Install a new larger drive into your PC

2. It will be given a new drive letter by your system, lets say it is G.

3. Copy everything from your E drive onto your new G drive

4. Rename your E drive to Z

5. Rename your G drive to E

6. Start up P3D and make sure it is all working

7. If all is well, you can rename the Z drive to G and delete anything on that drive that you do need anymore

8. All done.


Bert

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you just want to move to a larger drive, you can do that easily enough.. assuming that you do not have P3D installed on your C drive currently (!)  If it is on the C drive, then yes, uninstall, reinstall is the way to go.

If it is currently on your E drive (just to pick a letter), here is what you do:

1. Install a new larger drive into your PC

2. It will be given a new drive letter by your system, lets say it is G.

3. Copy everything from your E drive onto your new G drive

4. Rename your E drive to Z

5. Rename your G drive to E

6. Start up P3D and make sure it is all working

7. If all is well, you can rename the Z drive to G and delete anything on that drive that you do need anymore

8. All done.

Unfortunately,  Yes, It's on the C drive drive, Thank you everyone for the constant enlightenment with this kinda of stuff.

 

Much appreciated!

 

Ed

  • Like 1

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB (FS2020-P3D-V5H2)

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Share this post


Link to post

If it`s your C drive cloning is the way to go, download a free cloning software, i cloned Samsung 1TB ssd to replace my 500gb C drive you must clone all everything on the C drive let it run and it will shut down your PC, I then remove my old C drive mounted on my MB M.2 Slot installed the new 1TB C drive and all was working ok. took less than 30mins i now have a spare M.2 Drive which i will use on my soon to be new motherboard ASUS Z490 APEX which can take more M.2 drives.

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/49984943967/in/dateposted-public/

Samsung free cloning software.


i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5.1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Windows 10 supports symbolic links. No need to re-install anything. Just move your FS installation to its new location then make a link to it from the old location.

Search for examples of the "mklink" command. Practice using the command on a test directory first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I never put flight sim on my C Windows drive.


i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5.1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    34%
    $8,660.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...