Sign in to follow this  
Ed_S_Pilot

Move P3D V5 to another drive....Do I.....

Can i move P3D V5H2 "complete" to another drive or do i have to do a UN-install then complete re-install onto the other drive?

Thanks

Edited by Ed_S_Pilot

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Depends a little bit on what you are trying to accomplish.. if you want to move it to a bigger drive, you could copy everything over and rename the new drive to the old drive letter.. that would work.

In a more complex scenario, uninstalling and reinstalling may indeed be the simpler way to go..

Bert

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Depends a little bit on what you are trying to accomplish.. if you want to move it to a bigger drive, you could copy everything over and rename the new drive to the old drive letter.. that would work.

In a more complex scenario, uninstalling and reinstalling may indeed be the simpler way to go..

Thanks Bert,

I was looking to move all P3D to a larger drive. I'm not up to much on computer stuff. I think since i dont have a bunch of add ons and such. Just uninstalling and doing a reinstall to the bigger drive would be the better way to go, Because for sure, I would mess something up and be in the same boat anyways.... LOL

Thanks....

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

I think that is a good way to go Ed -- there are a number of folders created in your root drive that would need to be edited if the drive letter changes. An uninstall and reinstall would be the safest way to go IMHO.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

1 minute ago, Ed_S_Pilot said:

Thanks Bert,

I was looking to move all P3D to a larger drive. I'm not up to much on computer stuff. I think since i dont have a bunch of add ons and such. Just uninstalling and doing a reinstall to the bigger drive would be the better way to go, Because for sure, I would mess something up and be in the same boat anyways.... LOL

Thanks....

If you just want to move to a larger drive, you can do that easily enough.. assuming that you do not have P3D installed on your C drive currently (!)  If it is on the C drive, then yes, uninstall, reinstall is the way to go.

If it is currently on your E drive (just to pick a letter), here is what you do:

1. Install a new larger drive into your PC

2. It will be given a new drive letter by your system, lets say it is G.

3. Copy everything from your E drive onto your new G drive

4. Rename your E drive to Z

5. Rename your G drive to E

6. Start up P3D and make sure it is all working

7. If all is well, you can rename the Z drive to G and delete anything on that drive that you do need anymore

8. All done.

Bert

6 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you just want to move to a larger drive, you can do that easily enough.. assuming that you do not have P3D installed on your C drive currently (!)  If it is on the C drive, then yes, uninstall, reinstall is the way to go.

If it is currently on your E drive (just to pick a letter), here is what you do:

1. Install a new larger drive into your PC

2. It will be given a new drive letter by your system, lets say it is G.

3. Copy everything from your E drive onto your new G drive

4. Rename your E drive to Z

5. Rename your G drive to E

6. Start up P3D and make sure it is all working

7. If all is well, you can rename the Z drive to G and delete anything on that drive that you do need anymore

8. All done.

Unfortunately,  Yes, It's on the C drive drive, Thank you everyone for the constant enlightenment with this kinda of stuff.

Much appreciated!

Ed

• Like 1

Ed

If it`s your C drive cloning is the way to go, download a free cloning software, i cloned Samsung 1TB ssd to replace my 500gb C drive you must clone all everything on the C drive let it run and it will shut down your PC, I then remove my old C drive mounted on my MB M.2 Slot installed the new 1TB C drive and all was working ok. took less than 30mins i now have a spare M.2 Drive which i will use on my soon to be new motherboard ASUS Z490 APEX which can take more M.2 drives.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154944674@N05/49984943967/in/dateposted-public/

Samsung free cloning software.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Windows 10 supports symbolic links. No need to re-install anything. Just move your FS installation to its new location then make a link to it from the old location.

Search for examples of the "mklink" command. Practice using the command on a test directory first.

• Like 1

I never put flight sim on my C Windows drive.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg