Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Will MSFS model the tropopause?

I'm wondering if MSFS will model the tropopause.  It is the boundary between the troposphere (where the weather lives) and the stratosphere.  It is often marked by a boundary layer of dust due to a temperature inversion.  It is a considerable factor in planning and flying the big iron.

Imagine flying in the troposphere and requesting an altitude change that puts you above the tropopause.  When you get to the new assigned altitude, the higher temperature limits your power.  You request your original altitude but ATC has already given it to someone else.

"So there we are, as the expression goes, “with the nose in the stratosphere and the tail dragging in the water.” Meaning we have a nose-high struggling attitude. We’re stuck here now at climb power, burning extra fuel until the weight goes down enough to stay in the warm air at 39,000 feet using only cruise power."

Buck, Bob. North Star over My Shoulder: A Flying Life (p. 383). Simon & Schuster. Kindle Edition. 

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

17 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I'm wondering if MSFS will model the tropopause.  It is the boundary between the troposphere (where the weather lives) and the stratosphere.  It is often marked by a boundary layer of dust due to a temperature inversion.  It is a considerable factor in planning and flying the big iron.

Imagine flying in the troposphere and requesting an altitude change that puts you above the tropopause.  When you get to the new assigned altitude, the higher temperature limits your power.  You request your original altitude but ATC has already given it to someone else.

"So there we are, as the expression goes, “with the nose in the stratosphere and the tail dragging in the water.” Meaning we have a nose-high struggling attitude. We’re stuck here now at climb power, burning extra fuel until the weight goes down enough to stay in the warm air at 39,000 feet using only cruise power."

Buck, Bob. North Star over My Shoulder: A Flying Life (p. 383). Simon & Schuster. Kindle Edition. 

Hook

probably? Did you watch the videos explaining the weather engine?

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

Of course I watched the Meteoblue video.

This thread was primarily for the entertainment of the other beta testers.  In my case, I haven't flown that high, so I have no idea.

Hook

Larry Hookins

The tropopause IRL is hard to accurately define since it is constantly moving and can have several "breaks". its height is basically determined by the amount of thermal energy to the earth's surface (hence tropopause is much higher near equator than polar regions)

At least where I live we were taught that the Tropopause Height in our latitude on the SWC  is a mean average between polar and Tropical tropopause.

finally, isnt the tropopause an isotherm with constant, stable temperature with increasing altitude, and not a true inversion? (I am no meteorologist by any means)

I might actually check this tonight in-game, I am curious as well.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

1 minute ago, SAS443 said:

not a true inversion?

No idea.  I used the term because people would understand what the effects were.

If we're gonna have real world weather, we need a tropopause, right? 😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins

16 hours ago, LHookins said:

If we're gonna have real world weather, we need a tropopause, right? 😄 

let's first see if they can simulate Cirrus clouds in the upper part of the troposphere first shall we? i have not seen anything in that department yet ...

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

41 minutes ago, avhpilot said:

let's first see if they can simulate Cirrus clouds

You're not in the Beta, are you? 😄 

Think of my post as a kind of in-joke for the other Beta participants.  It may make more sense after MSFS is released.  

It's like something I posted a couple of times previously:

Starry-eyed dreamer:  "Gee, I hope the 747 is PMDG quality!"
Me:  "Gee, I hope the autopilot works."

But hey... maybe the tropopause IS modeled! 😄 

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins