Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

I Did It!

Welcome to the club or cult . I did the same thing a while ago. 

• Like 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Folks, we know something new and shiny is coming, but, trust me it will be a while (+6-12 months) before our favorite a/c are ported.  I am not deleting any of my P3D stuff until at least a year. 

• Like 5

I reallly, really never understand these affirmations. So you deleted P3D? Big deal, I don't know why anyone would care.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

David Porrett

2 hours ago, LHookins said:

Gee, I hope none of the stuff you deleted could be used in MSFS.

Hook

I'm teetering on that precipice as well.

I deleted P3D recently after finally losing all interest, but X-plane 11 has remained because I still enjoyed flying in it, primarily in the UK and KSEA areas.

Now, i'm wondering if X-plane is still on my list of things I'm actually interested in keeping abreast of, and with that decision comes a parallel decision on gigabyte after gigabyte of payware, freebies and rare older things I have collected over the years which now may be silly to still hold on to, though a weird sentimental value and pack-rat mentality makes me reluctant to make an irrevocable decision.

End of an era?

• My X-Plane folder is about 100Gb
  • My random aviation software folder is 300GB
  • My Orbx Library folder is 1TB

That's a lot of space I could potentially retrieve.......

• Like 4

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Premature in my opinion.  THAT'S why I purchased 2 M2 SSD drives.  Very easy to install, and with my C drive virtually free, I don't feel the need to extinguish the living, breathing P3d's on one of the drives.  My one M2 (1TB) holds P3d 4.5 and P3d 5. With all the addons, Orbx, etc, that drive still has 758GB free.  The other M2 is waiting...ever so patiently, for MSFS or MFS (whichever is correct).

I look forward to flying several sims based on the mood I'm in.

Stan

• Like 1

I was glad when MSFS was announced because I'm not one to bounce between more than one program. I like Xplane because it has a Cessna, and I really like to pilot those. However, I like P3D because of Active Sky and all my orbx addons, but I hate the planes it comes with. Right now I have xplane installed but only because it was the easiest and I wanted to test out my new HOTAS.

8 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

Worst case scenario you can redownload it eh?

Considering that every aircraft I use has had custom work that I've done, and I've had to collect liveries including one I made from scratch (about 50 iterations to get the color right), it's not just a simple download.  I don't have any scenery.  I use a number of utilities and it would be a bit of a pain just to track them all down again.

So yeah, maybe you're right.  Redownloading would indeed be the worst case. 😄 

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

55 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I reallly, really never understand these affirmations. So you deleted P3D? Big deal, I don't know why anyone would care.

Welcome  to the 21. Century where it's normal to start a thread or facebook post to tell people that you just went to the toilet ^^

I don't have anything to delete, haven't been using a flightsim for couple of years, because I got sick of tweaking FSX, however, I think the other dudes are right. P3D might be suit well as IFR platform until all the payware aircraft come out of their virtual hangers.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DavidP said:

And I never understood why people obviously care enough to hop onto posts to say they don't care. And why they strangely enough think anyone should care that they don't care about the post they hopped on to say they don't care..... 😄

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

For my part, I started to use Xplane in June with the express purpose of dumping it once MSFS2020 was released. I really expected to have to use Xplane for most if not all of 2020. August's release was a complete wonderful surprise. I have had fun with Xplane, but I was never going to keep it no matter how long I had to wait for MSFS2020. I do wish I could have my Zibo 737 in MSFS, it was a peach ... yes, was. Even if MSFS2020 default is not quite up to some of Xplane at the beginning, it will eventually. Adios, Xplane!

United001

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

32 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I use a number of utilities

Here, let me give one example.

Little Navmap is rumored to work with MSFS.  Little Navmap needs an airport and navaid database, which it has to read from a sim.  If you've deleted both Little Navmap and P3D, you don't have a database to import, and Little Navmap doesn't yet have an option to import from MSFS.

So... if you want to reinstall Little Navmap, you also have to reinstall P3D.

Now, aren't you glad you deleted everything? 😄 

Hook

• Like 4

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, spilok said:

Premature in my opinion.  THAT'S why I purchased 2 M2 SSD drives

Yup, bought a 450Gb internal SSD for the same reason, installed it the other day and put the new MS flight sim on there, along with adding a load of additional RAM and there's some Optane memory in the post too.

So P3D and all my other stuff remains where it is, not doing any harm and letting me fly all those 150 quid payware add-on airliners that have working ashtrays etc.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Now, aren't you glad you deleted everything? 😄 

Hook

Ain't the only thing that works like that either. Some things need FSX to install, in order to port to P3D, to then port elsewhere. You might be able to blag part of that with some things by making a fake folder, but if it needs anything other than to find a relevant exe file, then you're gonna be reinstalling!

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

You know the saying: you can't cross a chasm in two steps. I feel that a new era in flight sim is just around the corner. So why hang on to the old stuff?

Deleted P3D4 and all addons from my PC.

Don't look back, look forward 😉

• Like 1