Sign in to follow this  
Flouw87

Stutters / cloud flickering

Hi all,

with full enthusiasm I jumped from P3dV4 to P3DV5 last weekend and was very happy to see my frames doubling up from 15 to 30 fps. So far so good, unfortunately I noted directly after a vanilla installation that there were kind of stutters and cloud flickerings. I did install all addons, which i previously used in P3V4 (ORBX, Flsabs, Airport Sceneries) to go for a first test flight and it is almost unflyable despite the good fps.

My settings are more less medium (no EA, texture max 1024, Radius settings all medium etc). as my hardware is not the best (see below) and my VRAM is just about 3 GB of 5,5GB available.

I already tested several things (settings in P3d, affinity mask entries, dectivating Antivir) and the only thing that resolved the issue was to set a higher CPU priority to the P3d.exe. Then the stuttering is 90% gone and the flickering is 100% history. The big downside doing that, is that I cant use any other application on my computer besided P3D because of heavy laging as P3d uses all resources in matters of CPI. I checked my CPU utilization and it was almost all the time at 100%.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this or does anybody had the same issues?

Here is my system:

I5-7600k (no OC) 3,8Ghz

GTX 1060 6GB RAM

16RAM

Win 10 2004

My settings:

https://ibb.co/M69bZr2
https://ibb.co/LrMhtFn
https://ibb.co/wNQsqCB

Thanks and Regards Florian

Your specs are close to mine. Every version of P3D, I end up alternating from unlocked to locked (back and forth per P3D ver.) V5 HF2 finds me setting locked at 51 (this time). prior to HF2 it was at 29 to 31. Some versions I had to resort to unlocked frames and setting a max framerate with Nvidia Control Panel (in the Program tab) I haven't used an affinity mask since early versions of P3D4. Never have used .exe priority. Biggest diff between me and you is your 3.8 Ghz and my 4.2 sometime 4.6. I use hyper-threading on. You could try a short series of frame locks 29, then 30, then 31. Every time you switch the frame lock (in sim options) be sure to fly for 3 or 4 minutes to let the frames settle down before trying the next one.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Hi,

yesterday I played around with the locked frames and it "feels" better as with unlimited frames. ut still several stutters compared to P3Dv4. I have to try a full flight now with it and will report what did happen.

What is still bothering is the cloud flickering in the distance. I read several posts about this and it seems to e be a general issue with P3dV5HF2 at the moment. Maybe someone have a fix for it?

Regards

Florian

The flickering happens with default clouds and a combination of non-v5 scenery plus incompatible AI aircraft. If it bothers you too much then switch to EA mode. 

I got myself Asca and I think flickering has come down quite a bit. 

• Like 1

Vinod Kumar

i9 10900K 5.3 Ghz, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM, Win 10 Pro.

Alpha-Yoke, Bravo-Throttles, ThrustMaster-Sidestick & Quadrant, TM-Rudder, LG 32" 1080p.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:31 PM, Flouw87 said:

Hi all,

with full enthusiasm I jumped from P3dV4 to P3DV5 last weekend and was very happy to see my frames doubling up from 15 to 30 fps. So far so good, unfortunately I noted directly after a vanilla installation that there were kind of stutters and cloud flickerings. I did install all

Thanks and Regards Florian

What monitor do you have?

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

On 8/12/2020 at 11:40 AM, vin747 said:

The flickering happens with default clouds and a combination of non-v5 scenery plus incompatible AI aircraft. If it bothers you too much then switch to EA mode. 

I got myself Asca and I think flickering has come down quite a bit. 

The flickering occurs with AS and ASCA. But you are right with EA i dont have the flickering but an increased VRAM (which is limited by my 6 GB graphic card).

Will give EA a try with several flights and will see if there will be a VRAM issue or stuttering.

On 8/12/2020 at 12:09 PM, BMW969 said:

What monitor do you have?

60Hz 1920*1080 LG 42 inches Screen

Edited by Flouw87

I tried now several things with limited / unlimited frames and EA activated and deactived. At the beginning everythins seems fine but over the time (latest after startup of engines) the stutters are there all the time.

The only thing that resolved my stutters was setting a higher cpu priority. My cpu is at 100% all the time and I think this is the reason for the stutters.

Anything else I can try? P3DV5 seemed very promising but maybe I will go pack to stable P3DV4 and skip later to MSFS2020..

BR

Florian

I think V5 will struggle on a 4 core 4 thread CPU. It’s multiple core usage differs to V4. Recommended specs on LM website is an Octocore for V5

I'm running v5 @ 4k on my system (see signature). Other than the well-known EA issues, I get a solid 30 FPS when running at 30 Hz.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.