Sign in to follow this  
tommy10101

Can you open doors and windows?

It seems both an unimportant and yet odd omission. Unimportant because it doesn't affect (or shouldn't) the experience of sim-flying a plane, but also seems to be (to me as a non-programmer) something so simple to implement when modelling an aircraft that it could have been done from the get-go. Afterall, we've had it in the preceding MS flight sims. It seems like Asobo maybe didn't even realise it was in those previous sims or saw it and didn't imagine many people used it.

Me? I just sometimes open the door mid-flight for the kicks!😁

• Like 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Wasn’t there an image of a TBM landed on a field with the door open in one of the weekly previews? The image was from inside the cockpit and I remember it looked incredibly real with the nice grass and the rolling hills...

• Like 1

Opening doors worked in an earlier version of the Alpha.  No idea why it was removed.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

4 hours ago, Chock said:

It's coming, but not regarded as a priority fix.

Just make a clicking noise to pretend you are unlatching it, if you are making an emergency landing. 🤣

Also known as technical debt.  Man I'm so glad I'm retired.

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

11 hours ago, tommy10101 said:

This is a basic feature that will improve immersion for a lot of people and needs to be included, even for default aircraft. You could open the doors and windows on default fsx a/c, would be an odd omission for me 

Eh downgrades. Every modern sequel has em! Still it looks to be a nice sim. 

• Like 1

I’m of two minds on this.  First, flying with the doors open on the supercub is a primo way to see the sights, second, at least this prevents a ton of menu diving in commercial flights with something like gsx.  Airline captains confirm that the doors are closed or open, but they don’t operate them from the cockpit like we’ve had to do in sim land.

• Like 1

They did open on the last - forgotten - version of the sim, MS FLIGHT, and actually had an impact on aircraft aerodynamics !

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

13 hours ago, Dillon said:

Sorry if this has been covered but to those who have the release version are you able to open/close the aircraft doors?  Very basic function, just asking.

Someone asked, so I merged your topic to theirs.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Since they're both in the sim (if you bought the super duper version) I'll be interested to see what the handling difference is between the F152 and the F152A is in the sim if you can't take the doors off the F152A. Apart from the airframe G limit, the easy door removal option on the F152A is one of the main things to differentiate them.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, briansommers said:

A marketing ploy? So we buy third party aircraft?

Yes absolutely.  A Sheer Genius marketing ploy at that. no doubt backed up by years of market research.  We'll spend $30 to $40 (U.S.) to watch a door open and close, then maybe open and close again, while sitting on the ground.  Then we will open it again, Then close it.  For good measure. 

Plus, also, I haven't found a single aircraft yet that has a working cigarette lighter.  Even though I quit smoking 12 years ago this is important to me.,  C'mon PMDG, MilVis, A2A, take my money!!!

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!