Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Are Tutorials built into MFS 2020?

After watching many videos over the last month or so, I see obviously "real pilots" among others on the testing team for this sim.  Frankly, some of their expertise in flying is evident, and to me, a bit intimidating.  They use the various settings in such a fluid way that I cannot contain my ENVY.  Because it's a brand new sim, I was wondering if there were tutorials....specifically for the Flight Management System, built into MFS 2020.  Additionally, I would hope that tutorials for everything in this new simulation would be available either in the sim itself or at a specific site. I expect to start with a lot of GA VFR flying to check out the wonderful scenery realism, but I eventually would like to be able to be very comfortable with flying IFR in the jets.  

Do we know anything about this concern of mine....and probably for many others as well?

Stan

• Like 2

I have not had any hands on time with the sim but I do know there are some basic flight lessons included.

There is also a checklist system that seems to give you visual cues as to what your next step is. The button, knob or lever is highlighted in blue and if you are not looking at that particular panel in the cockpit, there is an directional indicator hinting where to look. There are a few videos that have shown the feature I am trying to describe.

I think this feature will be very helpful to beginners new to the hobby or for seasoned simmers getting into unfamiliar aircraft. Hope this info helps.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

You'll really want to wait for 3rd party addons regarding the "jet" realm haha.  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Around when FSX came out, I went through the book "Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training" and learned pretty much everything I ever needed to know about flying VFR/IFR/Charts, etc. I hope something like this book is re-made for the new sim. Most of the book is still applicable and would only need the flight files converted so they work for the new sim and perhaps a change in a few of the aircraft that were used.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wallboy said:

Around when FSX came out, I went through the book "Microsoft Flight Simulator X For Pilots Real World Training" and learned pretty much everything I ever needed to know about flying VFR/IFR/Charts, etc. I hope something like this book is re-made for the new sim. Most of the book is still applicable and would only need the flight files converted so they work for the new sim and perhaps a change in a few of the aircraft that were used.

Instrument flying handbook for free (FAA)

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/instrument_procedures_handbook/media/FAA-H-8083-16B.pdf

Yeah its not as condensed etc but it will help.  Or just use the old book for FSX - same principles!

• Like 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

For the first time flyer who has never had a flight simulator before and wants to learn to fly, there is an excellent DLC for about $25 that has interactive lessons taking you from your first look at the plane to everything you need to know to be an airline pilot.  The lessons are done by a famous flight instructor.  You can check this out prior to buying MSFS.

It is called FSX:SE and is available on Steam.

This has been a public service announcement.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

11 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Instrument flying handbook for free (FAA)

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/instrument_procedures_handbook/media/FAA-H-8083-16B.pdf

Yeah its not as condensed etc but it will help.  Or just use the old book for FSX - same principles!

Wow.  Thanks.  Looks like some heavy ready on procedures.  Good for a rainy day.

Stan

12 hours ago, Wallboy said:

Excellent book. I still have my copy handy.

6 hours ago, LHookins said:

It is called FSX:SE and is available on Steam.

<crickets>

Hm, tough crowd.  Well, let's see how tough they are come release day and a flood of first time fliers! 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

When I learnt the systems of an airliner, I didn't use any lessons from the sim.

My first complex add-on aircraft was the PMDG 777 for FSX. When I purchased it I started going through all the documents that came with it and in all honesty, I almost regretted my purchase. I had no experience whatsoever with an add-on like this and the amount of information was overwhelming for a novice like me. Thanks to Youtube, I found a tutorial (which followed the one included in the PMDG documents) and I followed along carefully.

From that moment I was hooked and never flew a default aircraft again. Overwhelmed and discouraged quickly turned to fun learning and before I knew it, I was navigating the systems of this complex aircraft with relative ease. I am no expert and I'm always learning...that's one of the fun parts of this hobby. 

• Like 2

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

Great topic.   I am very interested in the setup of peripherals (Yoke, Thrust, Pedals and camera views) .  How to assign the menu is not as user friendly as FSX or P3D from the videos I have seen...Would like to see how others set up in a video tutorial..

I would be surprised if MSFS has included a guide on how to use Lnav, Vnav, when to use FLCH, VS, open decent etc. I would be even more shocked if a guide for the FMC/MCDU was included. My best bet is that you start looking into video guides for those things now since we are a whole week away from launch. Plenty of time to learn 😄

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

To be honest, documentation is one of the main things I'm currently worried about at release.

Simply because writing a proper manual (even if it's just a PDF) is an art that has long since been lost in the gaming industry.

For beginners, I would hope they at least include documentation on how to use the Garmin glass cockpit suites and the FMS systems in the airliners and business jets.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

When I learnt the systems of an airliner, I didn't use any lessons from the sim.

My first complex add-on aircraft was the PMDG 777 for FSX. When I purchased it I started going through all the documents that came with it and in all honesty, I almost regretted my purchase. I had no experience whatsoever with an add-on like this and the amount of information was overwhelming for a novice like me. Thanks to Youtube, I found a tutorial (which followed the one included in the PMDG documents) and I followed along carefully.

From that moment I was hooked and never flew a default aircraft again. Overwhelmed and discouraged quickly turned to fun learning and before I knew it, I was navigating the systems of this complex aircraft with relative ease. I am no expert and I'm always learning...that's one of the fun parts of this hobby. 

Good story.  I recently bought a book by Mike Ray (real Captain UAL) called Flying the Boeing 700 Series Flight Simulators.  It was a book recommended to me by Chock (Alan).  I've gotten a slow start reading it because of my "excessive activity" trying to get P3d v5 working reliably.  I finally did get it where I want it, and I have started the book because of MSFS 2020.  I will be buying a PMDG 737 for MSFS as soon as it's available. I put off buying one for P3d because of the Microsoft announcement for a release earlier than I expected.

I'm no rookie to flying in sims.  Been doing it for decades...since the beginning, but I've been very lazy with learning the FMC. I have 2 Master's degrees, yet this FMC learning has been haunting me for many years.  Well, this is the year.  I will also check out the YouTube videos.

Stan

• Like 2

I've seen some very basic tutorials in MSFS2020. Nothing like the Rod Machado tutorial in the previous iterations of MSFS. 

They should re-release Rod Machado's Ground School that came with one of the versions. It was a good primer into flying that described everything pretty straight forward. I'm pretty sure I've seen it floating on the interwebs somewhere though.