Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

After Pre-ordering MSFS What Did I Download ?

I completed the pre order on the 16th July and downloaded a file which went to my Downloads folder in drive C:, as this is my Windows system drive I wanted it moved to my flight sim SSD drive.  I saw Bert Pieke's excellent guide on how to move this file to a SSD drive, which I followed to the letter.  I now have have three new folders on this drive Program Files, WindowsApps and WpSystem. I can't open WindowsApps because I don't have permission but I understand this is fairly normal, the other two folders I can open.

I assumed this downloaded file was a MSFS installer I could use on release day (17th Aug) - where is the installer I should use to install MSFS on release day ?

Glen

Go to your start menu, find the MS Flight Sim entry and click on it, a window will pop up, click on the check the online store link, that'll take you to the page where you'd download it when available/trigger the download.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You will have an option where to install once it's available - I have the beta installed on a drive different than where I have Win10

Semper Fi 

I was given an option were to install MSFS Pre-order this is on my D drive, the insider install was on my C drive , MSFS is now on my start menu.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Many people are reporting this download that happened after they pre-ordered.

I pre-ordered nearly two weeks ago and haven't seen anything to download or received anything.  My MS account says it's paid and they have charged me for it.

I wonder if that's odd or normal?  I suppose the option will appear on the 18th?  Where will I see it?  Will they email me?

I do remember some message during the pre-order that said "We couldn't determine which device for delivery" or something like that.  I went to another tab to look up the devices on my MS account, and the one with the message simply closed and I don't know how to get it back.  Why they couldn't determine the device, when it's the one I completed the order on, I can't say.

Altogether a bit odd.

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

52 minutes ago, Dutch727 said:

Many people are reporting this download that happened after they pre-ordered.

I pre-ordered nearly two weeks ago and haven't seen anything to download or received anything.  My MS account says it's paid and they have charged me for it.

I wonder if that's odd or normal?  I suppose the option will appear on the 18th?  Where will I see it?  Will they email me?

I do remember some message during the pre-order that said "We couldn't determine which device for delivery" or something like that.  I went to another tab to look up the devices on my MS account, and the one with the message simply closed and I don't know how to get it back.  Why they couldn't determine the device, when it's the one I completed the order on, I can't say.

Altogether a bit odd.

Never mind...after posting this I went looking at the options in the MS Store app....and found it under "Ready to Install".  Downloading now.  It let me choose the drive.

Too <expletive deleted> obvious! <blush>

Dutch

Edited by Dutch727

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

Im more worried about the download speed of the thing. I did the update today (1gb), and it took surprisingly look. I started a little over an hour ago, and just 3 minutes ago it completed. I have a 100mbps downline, and it should have been done in 10 minutes max if it utilized my bandwith. Instead, I saw it started at about 10MB/s, but after about 15 minutes when I returned to the pc the first time, it was at 500kbps. So I am actually a bit worried for launch if this is the speed we are going to see. 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Go to your start menu, find the MS Flight Sim entry and click on it, a window will pop up, click on the check the online store link, that'll take you to the page where you'd download it when available/trigger the download.

Many thanks Chock, I found the entry you mentioned, clicked on it and it just said I'm too early.

I didn't realise it was in the Start menu - now just waiting for the 17th 😀

Glen

I wouldn't worry too much about Mircosoft's server speed at least not at present. My 1 GIG d/l today was very, very fast, in the 50's and was done in under a minute. These speeds vary by our locations and internet providers.

United001

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

2 minutes ago, GAJ52 said:

clicked on it and it just said I'm too early.

It also has some clickable text which is a hyperlink to the online store on that pop up message which says you are too early.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Im more worried about the download speed of the thing. I did the update today (1gb), and it took surprisingly look. I started a little over an hour ago, and just 3 minutes ago it completed. I have a 100mbps downline, and it should have been done in 10 minutes max if it utilized my bandwith. Instead, I saw it started at about 10MB/s, but after about 15 minutes when I returned to the pc the first time, it was at 500kbps. So I am actually a bit worried for launch if this is the speed we are going to see. 

Where do I find the update.

After reading another thread on this subject I went to the MS Store and couldn't find any option to Update  within my account ?

Glen

2 minutes ago, GAJ52 said:

After reading another thread on this subject I went to the MS Store and couldn't find any option to Update  within my account ?

Use the ms store to find the MSFS product. Then, you already have it installed you may update there. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

6 minutes ago, GAJ52 said:

I had no idea about this 1 GIG update today and only learned of it through one of the burgeoning new MS2020 Facebook groups. So I logged onto my Microsoft Store account, clicked on "Order History" and before I knew what was going on, the 1 GID D/L was downloading (at a very brisk speed by the way) and it was done in under a minute. Naturally, when you click "Play," up pops the "no can do, yet" blue banner. What a tease! Are they going to nickle and dime us all week? One could hope!

United001

Edited by united001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

I also was told I'm too early. It seems to come down to how we interpret the date '17th'.
Here in Spain it's 1100 hrs (1000 Zulu) on 17 August - the release date we were given (at least, I was) as a pre-payer. But its just turning 1am) on the US Pacific Coast. Either way it is 17th August in both places, but our American cousins are offline.  

Microsoft 'is primarily a sales organisation and may be working on 'shop opening hours'. Great if you live on the West Coast. Here in Europe, albeit a huge market, we have learned over the years to just wait and see. New Zealand have never been the first off the ramp. They install overnight. 

I simply ask: 'why doesn't MS spell it out clearly for us. E.g. when other time zones can get access to download?  If only as a courtesy? Even if it is PDT for everyone. It would avoid a bit of frustration. I also wonder why we are give two dates: 17th and 18th?  Was the 17th designed as a gesture for the pre-payers?  I don't know, but if so, why not say so.

Until I found this thread I had no idea how or where to download the program. I think I nay have have bee expecting an email with those details in it, and perhaps a KEY code.
Maybe this will happen yet!  Its just a question of what to expect. . 

Logistically launching this new sim is a huge undertaking for sure. But the customer always comes first. 

Cheers

SUAS14