Sign in to follow this  
Glekke

Change GPU or CPU for "ultra" setting

Hey everyone,

Due to the upcoming flight simulator 2020, I m in a dilemma. Should I upgrade my GPU (currently gtx 1660 super) or should I upgrade my motherboard, ram and cpu to the "ultra" recommended settings for FS2020. My goal is to achieve the best experience possible, however upgrading both is not possible for the moment. My current specs are: i7 4790k and 16gb ddr3 ram. My two options are upgrading to the rtx 2070 super or upgrading motherboard, ram (to 32gb ddr4) and intel i7 9700k. What do you guys think the best option is? And if I would upgrade the GPU, will my CPU and ram setting play a determent role in the experience or will they do just fine?  

We will find out if CPU or GPU are more important when we all have the FS20 on our harddisks...

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Can I be honest with you ? The whole computer needs an upgrade to run Ultra. If this is your goal, 32GB RAM and a GPU with 11GB VRAM is going to be needed.  i9-9900K and RTX 2080Ti is almost the minimum for Ultra at anything above 1080p.

• Like 3

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Oke thanks for the reply,

And I'am aware of that, but given my situation, would you upgrade the cpu or gpu for now? Never mind my the term 'ultra'. 

Your CPU is really old and will make the most difference.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Best bet. Keep your PC as is, run the sim, check stuff like Task Manager, CPU-Z etc and see which bits are running out of steam, then tart those bits up.

Keep in mind that all PC components don't work in isolation and are dependent on the weakest link, so it's not just the CPU and GPU that matter, its the bus speeds, RAM speeds, cooling, PSU rails and voltage stability etc. Even which slot you put things in, if you have more than one choice, has a bearing on performance. Dropping a V8 in a Ford Fiesta, doesn't stop it being a Ford Fiesta.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 6

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

3 minutes ago, Glekke said:

Oke thanks for the reply,

And I'am aware of that, but given my situation, would you upgrade the cpu or gpu for now? Never mind my the term 'ultra'. 

How desperate are you to upgrade?

The reason I ask is because there are rumors going around that Nvidia will make some sort of announcement soon regarding their new line of GPU's.

Maybe you could wait and see if holding on a bit longer will be worthwhile. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

37 minutes ago, Glekke said:

Hey everyone,

Due to the upcoming flight simulator 2020, I m in a dilemma. Should I upgrade my GPU (currently gtx 1660 super) or should I upgrade my motherboard, ram and cpu to the "ultra" recommended settings for FS2020. My goal is to achieve the best experience possible, however upgrading both is not possible for the moment. My current specs are: i7 4790k and 16gb ddr3 ram. My two options are upgrading to the rtx 2070 super or upgrading motherboard, ram (to 32gb ddr4) and intel i7 9700k. What do you guys think the best option is? And if I would upgrade the GPU, will my CPU and ram setting play a determent role in the experience or will they do just fine?  

At which resolution?
It's the most important detail and everybody ignores it.

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

My spec is close to yours.

I suggest you hang on. 4K murders FPS compared to 1080x1920.

Some reports indicate we might be ok with our old PC’s.

Also I am waiting to buy a new PC and imo now is not the time to be buying a GPU, wait till the 3080 comes out the rumour are it makes the 2080Ti look very dated.

When the 3080 comes out then will be the time for a new PC, 10900k@5 All cores 32GB RAM 3080 M.2 2x corsair force mp600 1tb . 

Wait is what I suggest as I am in the same boat as you.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Glekke said:

Should I upgrade my GPU (currently gtx 1660 super) or should I upgrade my motherboard, ram and cpu to the "ultra" recommended settings for FS2020. My goal is to achieve the best experience possible, however upgrading both is not possible for the moment. My current specs are: i7 4790k and 16gb ddr3 ram.

No need to upgrade the CPU at all!

Wait and see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glekke said:

Hey everyone,

I have the same cpu, upgraded with 16 GB Ram, a new 1 TB ssd and a Asus Rog OC RTX 2070 super. I expect to run ms2020 on high settings at 2K. With this specs I run Dirt Rally 2 on ultra with a 2k monitor with a cpu load between 30/40%.I think with this cpu I can still get some good juice 😜

1pc:WIN11/64, MSFS,PF3,TRacKir5,SPAD Next,FSUIPC 7,GSX
I7-12700KF/32Gb DDR4 3600MHz/ASUS ROG 2070 SUPER OC/GEKOGS105/Alpha Flight Control/CH throttle,Ped/SAITEK InstR/Radio Panel
2pc:WIN10 LNM,remote text program,pf3 display

1 hour ago, Glekke said:

What do you guys think the best option is?

Your best option is to wait until the sim is out, and then check if you're GPU or CPU limited in your particular use case.