Sign in to follow this  
Glekke

Change GPU or CPU for "ultra" setting

From videos that go into any testing with the preview build I've seen, this sim is pretty gpu heavy. So if you cannot wait imho , just get the 2070.  That will Probably land you near a mix if high to ultra settings . Pop for 32gb ram if u can .   That said..... why not wait a week.. get it  .. run some tests and upgrade  based on that.

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

Also I am waiting to buy a new PC and imo now is not the time to be buying a GPU, wait till the 3080 comes out the rumour are it makes the 2080Ti look very dated.

Yeah, and it will probably also make it look very cheap :laugh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

People upgrading hardware, before running the sim, are prone to make expensive mistakes!

That sim is a new tech. Just forget what you know about FSX and P3D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

First of all, the platform is still in the process of being optimized, so I would wait until release and assess things at that time. There was a pretty extensive post that went over the different settings and stated if each setting is CPU or GPU dependent, and to what extent. I would assume something like that plus people's own experiences would appear once the sim is released in the wild.

The reason I say to wait is some of the settings might be important to you personally, where other settings may not be a priority. Your personal preferences and the knowledge of what settings rely on CPU or GPU will help you make an informed decision for yourself.  

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

On what resolution do you plan to run this on? If it is just Full HD then your GPU is sufficient and I'd updated the CPU instead. If you want to run at higher resolution get a new GPU.

Wait and test it. But if really want to know, it would be better to upgrade your GPU. It has a modern engine, the GPU is more important than the GPU. Like someone said above, forget the logics behind FSX/X-plane.

I'd upgrade the GPU first, put every penny you have into that then buy a new bundle when you have the cash.

For Ultra you really are looking at a 2080 super for 1080, 2080Ti for 1440p or 4k.

If you were looking at a 2080Ti I would recommend you wait until Sept when the 3080 super & TI come out

***21 DAYS people init***

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

1 hour ago, hanhamreds said:

I'd upgrade the GPU first, put every penny you have into that then buy a new bundle when you have the cash.

For Ultra you really are looking at a 2080 super for 1080, 2080Ti for 1440p or 4k.

If you were looking at a 2080Ti I would recommend you wait until Sept when the 3080 super & TI come out

***21 DAYS people init***

What? You're going to need a 2080 if you want to play at 4k, but at 1080 it's definitely overkill.
I bet I can run it at 40-50fps at 1440 with my config + another 16Gb of ram which is on the way

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

9 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

What? You're going to need a 2080 if you want to play at 4k, but at 1080 it's definitely overkill.
I bet I can run it at 40-50fps at 1440 with my config + another 16Gb of ram which is on the way

typo on my part, for 1080 a 2070 should be enough imo for Ultra, maybe even a 1080ti with some tweaks.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

GPU when the new Nvidia one comes out

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Most pre-release videos are saying it pretty much hammers the GPU but is surprisingly light on the CPU. In a recent video, on ultra in 4K, the system was using about 98% GPU and about 6 Gb of VRAM and no more than 50% CPU and 19 Gb of system RAM. So update system RAM first, GPU next and CPU last. The latter probably comes hand in hand with a new mono (and RAM).

But I agree with most here. Get it on Game Pass for a month to try it out and then proved from there. You might even want to wait a couple of months to allow some patches to come through.

• Upvote 1

Also, the differences between HIGH and ULTRA are visible on a side by side comparison, but it doesn't look like you'll miss ULTRA during actual flying.
Also you can set ULTRA on something and High on less important stuff.
I would wait for upgrades though, GPUs are crazy high, my 1070 G1 almost costs more now than what I paid when it was current gen (I paid330€ new in 2016).

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

I can say for certain, Intel i7 4790K is not enough. i have it watercooled in a custom loop boosted ghz to 4.6 stable, at 60 degrees. its struggleing like crazy on 5431x1527, 3080x1080p, 3840x2160. running along is a 2080ti no oc. 

i looked at the graphs of gpu and cpu, cpu kept throttleing 100% while getting lower altitudes.

for FSX2020, gpu and cpu has to be changed to have a smooth experience at 4k/2k

at 1080p it runs smoth at 70-100fps.

I overclocked my 4770K to 4.5 GHz today to see how it would work with my GTX 1070. I run a 1440p G-Sync display, all SSDs and 32 GB RAM. 

My system is pretty happy at 45-50 FPS but i had to make serious compromises on visual quality to get there. My GPU is in the yellow and CPU was mostly green in the dev fps charts. But when i start pushing the settings the GPU is flat out but takes it well. It even goes all purple while running mostly high/ultra settings at 17 FPS. But this doesn’t just impact the GPU. Once the CPU starts taking on the load of those high settings the stutters can occur. It have settled on around 25-27 FPS and turned down a few things, so if you really want to push for really nice visuals and 30+ fps i would be targeting a new system. The 4790K isn’t going to get you there because you can’t push the type of video card needed for this sim. 

If you are running 1080p you might get away with a 4790K + 1080Ti. That would be about as far as you can go without bottlenecking. Anything more and your cpu will hold you back. Of course a 1080ti is still too expensive to justify buying it. Not when a $500 RTX 3070 is around the corner. 

Best to just wait imo. Use msfs as best you can and then do it right down the road. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro