Sign in to follow this  

So, How's the G1000?

Holding off on gettig FSX because I think my system specs are a little low (XP3200/Radeon X850 Pro). Wondering how the Garmin is on the new sim? I'm a RealityXP cutomer, so I do like it to be as close to the real deal as possible.

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,I'd heard it takes some CPU, so I tried it out yesterday for a few moments while flying around Chicago. I lost several FPS(4-5) using it near the big city. Other than that, I don't know because I didn't check anything out other than to see what kind of a performance hit it causes. It might be just fine for flying from small outlying airport to small outlying airport. I have seen some other short posts about it, nothing detailed and I don't recall verbatim what was said, just the impression that even though it's not a 100% fully functional G1000, it's still pretty nice. It looked pretty nice for a default gauge. Perhaps some other folks will be able to give you a more detailed description. I just wanted to let you know that it seems to cost some performance.Cheers,JimSystem Specs:Intel P4 3.4C(C = Northwood Core with Hyperthreading) on Asus P4C800-E Deluxe(Intel 875P + ICH5R Chipset), Zalman 7000a-Cu HS/Fan, Enermax RG651P-VE 550W PSU, 2 GB Mushkin eXtreme Performance(2-2-2) Dual Channel PC3200 RAM, Samsung 214T MultiSync 21" Digital LCD Monitor, Sapphire Radeon X800 XT PE Videocard with Catalyst v6.9 Driver, DirectX 9.0c, Creative Audigy2 Platinum Soundcard with OpenAL Beta Driver v2.08.0002, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers, Western Digital 250 GB w/8 MB Cache 7200 RPM Parallel ATA HDD, WinXP Pro SP2, Norton SystemWorks and Personal Firewall 2006

Guest christianholmes

It's very good- The pan button doesn't seem to work, but everything else does. I couldn't figure out how to enter a flight plan manually, but that may be my inexperience? No noticeable frame rate hit.

Guest Crimguy

If it shares the innards with the GNS500 in FS9, you probably can't enter a flight plan directly. You probably have to enter it into the FS flight plan page.That's one of my biggest gripes with FS9 - I would like to be able to enter a plan without having to pause the sim.

Guest christianholmes

That may be the case- There must be documentation in the learning center?

Yeah all of these FS04 and FSX GPS systems are missing key menus. They are excellent reproductions but like was said earlier are nowhere near 100%.

Yes, there is info in the Learning Center. But the topic starter doesn't have FS X yet so he also doesn't have the Learning Center. ;)I have used the Reality XP GNS 430 since the beginning of 2005. I've read the official manual at least twice from cover to cover and I love the GNS 430. Well, the G1000 isn't in the same league, simply because it doesn't simulate everything the real G1000 can. BUT... don't forget though, that the G1000 is of course a lot more than just a GPS!!! Even though I like the (almost) real possibilities of the GNS430 I have to say I really love te G1000. First of all, when it comes to the GPS part, it can do almost all the things I ACTUALLY did with the GNS430. Having ALL the real options is nice, but in reality (after having seen every possible page) I only used the basic functions... And since the G1000 has the basic GPS functions, I like it. The MFD has the the Map (of course) with or without topography, the Waypoint page, where you can look up information of airports (with all the info you need), vor's, intersections and ndb's. The Nearest pages are there too, so is the Direct button, the map with or without terrain, the Approach page works great, with every approach nicely shown on screen and added to the flightplan and all. There are various subpages and softkeys for various other functions. It's got all I need, really. But... you can NOT enter a flightplan manually. Now to tell you the truth: I do not mind at all. Because of time constraints I don't have the time to fly online and since I do like ATC, I regularly fly with the FS ATC. Making a plan in FS itself s fine with me. With the GNS430 I always had to copy the complete plan into the GPS manually, which I did not like much, so... I'm happy the way it is, really.Well, enough about the GPS part. The rest is just great imho. The primary flight displays work like a charm and so do all radio's. You get the insetmap, some more softkeys for the transponder, OBS, CDI, one for setting the markers on he speedtape and so on. Enough to eep ME busy. I read DME is missing, I personnally couldn't find ETA anywhere, but ETE is and the other regular waypoint information too. The MFD does have an Engine Indication System with all the info you need, but the System page is missing. All in all the G1000 on it's own (together with the Ultralight) were worth the cost of FS X. But...(and maybe it has shown in all I said) I'm no hardcore simmer! I've flown my share of PSS/PMDG/Level-D planes (and well too) but in the end I fly for the fun of it. For ME the G1000 is great and awesome but I can imagine someone else might miss the 'Reality XP detail'. But then again, don't forget the G1000 in't just a GPS! Anyway, I love it, that will be clear by now. ;)If you've got any more specific questions about what's possible (instead of all this positive talk about things that might not even be important to you ;)), just ask and I'll look it up for you!

>Yeah all of these FS04 and FSX GPS systems are missing key>menus. They are excellent reproductions but like was said>earlier are nowhere near 100%. Well, what key menus are you missing?

Did you try this one yet? Works in FS2004 for now, and the installer is being updated to recognize FSX shortly too.www.MindstarAviation.com

Not yet, because it isn't FS X ready right now. But I did notice that the upcoming patch (which they have been working on for months) addds stuff that's already working in the default G1000... And the fact that it clashes with the FS flightplanner is a pity, because that means you are not able to fly with FS ATC. Just a few very simple things that made me decide to wait a few months (years) before I'd consider the purchase. Maybe when I got a new computer that can handle it all and when more pages are functioning I might reconsider it.I know it is supposed to be far superior to the default FS X G1000 but it's too much a work in progress right now and it's not progressing very fast imho. The price is a too high right now for me.I think also that the FS X G1000 offers most of the things I need (or use): all other pages and possibilities are nice but will I ever use them...? I know the GNS430 by heart (Reality XP) but in the end I only use the same stuff I'm using now in the G1000 (as far as the GPS is concerned).

>It's very good- The pan button doesn't seem to work, but>everything else does. I couldn't figure out how to enter a>flight plan manually, but that may be my inexperience?No way, so it is not your inexperience. (unfortunately):(Etienne