Sign in to follow this  
Jerad

What is it like flying in VR? I'm planning on getting one.

16 hours ago, suchw said:

Awesome but get the HP reverb G2 if you can, get the highest and clearest resolution you can afford you won't regret it

I actually already preordered the G2 before I made this post lol 😉

Seeing that people here also preordered it makes me feel even better about my purchase!

3 hours ago, Jerad said:

I actually already preordered the G2 before I made this post lol 😉

Seeing that people here also preordered it makes me feel even better about my purchase!

You will be very happy with it.  I currently have the HP Reverb G1. For flight sims, it’s probably one of best headsets for resolution and clarity. I have no problem reading the gauges and no, or barely detectable screen door effect. That used to bother me a bit with the Vive Pro.  
I would have ordered the Reverb G2, but it’s not available for preorder in Canada.

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Another G2 pre-order here. 

I´ve been in the alpha for a while and going back to 2D was like going back to play with plane toys (don´t get me wrong, the sim is awesome). Mainly landing. In VR you´re used to land on a lifesize runway, making the proportions real and in 2D is like landing on a pencil. Took me several flights again to land my plane properly. 

And about motion sickness, I get it with racing games and a bunch of other games, but not in flight sims. Maybe is the slow pace, but I´m not sure because I play Il-2 Sturmovik quite often and it has pretty intense dogfights and I`m fine.

Getting back to VR, I recall one of my firsts VR flights with a CJ525 from Barcelona to Mallorca. It was an evening, and I still remember the moment I left my plane cold and dark in the parking in Mallorca, took off my headset and I was like "Woa that was incredible", so real that I had to look around my living room twice to make sure I was not in the island. The whole flight was amazing, 
I can´t help thinking the experiences we are going to have with the new MSFS and its amazing visuals.

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

17 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I should add, that in this ghastly heat we in the nice part of the UK

Must be in Lincolnshire then!

I avoided vr for quite some time because of motion sickness and at 75 I still avoid coach travel or traveling in a car unless I am driving, but have no such problem using vr in a flight sim.

I avoid the roller coaster demos, although they are great to show off vr to friends, I am almost physically sick on those.

Mick

2 hours ago, chass32 said:

I recall one of my firsts VR flights with a CJ525 from Barcelona to Mallorca. It was an evening, and I still remember the moment I left my plane cold and dark in the parking in Mallorca, took off my headset and I was like "Woa that was incredible"

I remember just sat swearing to myself in complete disbelief over what I’d just experienced.

Reading the comments about the G2, I currently use the Samsung odyssey plus, would it be worth an upgrade? is there much difference in VR performance?

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

18 minutes ago, jon b said:

I remember just sat swearing to myself in complete disbelief over what I’d just experienced.

Reading the comments about the G2, I currently use the Samsung odyssey plus, would it be worth an upgrade? is there much difference in VR performance?

Can´t help with the odyssey+ since I own a Rift S and in my case it´s worth the upgrade, but not sure coming from an odyssey+. Not even sure if it´s worthy if you own a G1 cause they have the same resolution, but the lenses are much better without mura effect and less distortions.

What worries me a bit is the perfomance of the sim on VR with the resolution of the G2, we´ll have to turn down some graphics but I still dream with having DX12 and DLSS 2.0 to minimize the impact of VR in fps.

Cheers

Carlos

• Upvote 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

20 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I should add, that in this ghastly heat we in the nice part of the UK are having VR has been put on hold. The headset fills with sweat and it becomes a scuba sim!

To add to what Ron said these are the downsides of VR.

You will always feel like you are flying with diving goggles on because your field of view is limited. And you will always sweat profusely under the goggles. After 90 minutes of flying my hair looks like I haven't washed in a week.

The greatest thing is flying Ultralights that don't have a cabin so that you can look at what is directly below you.

Edited by Farlis

8 hours ago, Farlis said:

You will always feel like you are flying with diving goggles on because your field of view is limited. And you will always sweat profusely under the goggles. After 90 minutes of flying my hair looks like I haven't washed in a week.

I never have this impression of wearing goggles. As soon as I sit in the airplane I feel totally right there. Yes, the field of view is limited, but you are free to move your head in any direction which results in a merely unlimited FOV! Also, I don‘t have the sweat problem any longer since I put a small fan beside my desk. The constant light airflow keeps my head and headset cool and dry. No flight without VR any more!

Felix

1 hour ago, Flyfox said:

Yes, the field of view is limited, but you are free to move your head in any direction which results in a merely unlimited FOV!

I very much see the difference in fov which is only natural. The Rift S has a horizontal fov of 86° and a vertical of 90°.

The normal FOV for a human is 210° horizontal and 150° vertical.

How you manage to not notice the difference when putting on the VR googles is beyond my imagination.

I'm not saying it is a serious restriction, but it is a very noticable. You have to move your head quite considerably more to focus on what you want to see.

59 minutes ago, Farlis said:

I very much see the difference in fov which is only natural. The Rift S has a horizontal fov of 86° and a vertical of 90°.

The normal FOV for a human is 210° horizontal and 150° vertical.

How you manage to not notice the difference when putting on the VR googles is beyond my imagination.

I'm not saying it is a serious restriction, but it is a very noticable. You have to move your head quite considerably more to focus on what you want to see.

Of course the difference is noticeable, as long as you concentrate on it. But once you start operating your aircraft, you will forget about such limitations.    Living with a physical FOV of around 90 degrees in VR is still far better than any high resolution flat screen image. As soon as you put on your VR headset you are virtually IN the cockpit rather than sitting IN FRONT OF a flat cockpit image.

Felix

15 minutes ago, Flyfox said:

Of course the difference is noticeable, as long as you concentrate on it. But once you start operating your aircraft, you will forget about such limitations.    Living with a physical FOV of around 90 degrees in VR is still far better than any high resolution flat screen image. As soon as you put on your VR headset you are virtually IN the cockpit rather than sitting IN FRONT OF a flat cockpit image.

Spot on!  As you note, you don't realize it any more. So much better than a monitor, (as I sit in front of a 4K TV display typing this...)  🙂

I can't wait to see the FS2020 birds in VR, (of course once VR is released).  I'm stoked!!!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

@Jon B,

I had the odyssey+ before I got the HP reverb and there is very little difference in performance as far as frames per second because I was always setting the super sampling for O+ to at least 2000 x 2000 which is near the native resolution or thereabouts for the reverb where I set SS to 2160x2160  ( 100%)

Secondly just one idea about the FOV is it’s more natural for those of us who wear glasses to pivot our heads instead of changing our pupil gaze so the hundred degrees of FOV is noticeable but not unnatural.

Edited by whitav8
  • Upvote 1

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Can I suggest you read the post about an issue with VR that surprisingly doesn't get talked about much by simmers who try VR and stick with it?

VR and the need to "see" my Keyboard.

Is there any need in VR flight sims to use the old keyboard and if so how? 
I know that the yoke/peddles & throttle quadrant (plus buttons) replace a lot of the keyboard. Also the mouse in the cockpit etc. replaces the need for more of the keyboard. 
BUT - I am sure there will be times that I might need to use an F key or something so how is this handled? 

10 hours ago, KootenayVince said:

VR and the need to "see" my Keyboard.

Is there any need in VR flight sims to use the old keyboard and if so how? 
I know that the yoke/peddles & throttle quadrant (plus buttons) replace a lot of the keyboard. Also the mouse in the cockpit etc. replaces the need for more of the keyboard. 
BUT - I am sure there will be times that I might need to use an F key or something so how is this handled? 

By either mapping that key to a control you can find without looking like a HOTAS button, or lifting your headset to see the keyboard. Or finding the key without looking. You'd be surprised how you adapt to this after a while.