Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Asobo's first panel interview. A must watch!

Tonight I have been watching this panel discussion and interview again, and just like the first time it gave me goosebumps. I felt with all the discussion going on, and some of it pertaining to Asobo's and MS' motives, that it is suitable to share this with you again. There are several times during this panel talk that I feel Asobo talking directly to ME/US, the flight simmers. And, in fact, they do adress us several time to reassure us that we are the main target for their production of Microsoft Flight Simulator in 2020. 

Their words will be in the back of my head now leading up to launch. These men seem honest and genuine, and I think it is a fitting time to be reminded of their stated intentions. 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Yet, I hear quite a few testers reminding us that the first time flight simmer is their main target and that some of the design choices will be disappointing for hardcore simmers. Not long to find out now ❤️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, the testers are not Asobo, and unless Asobo came and straight out spelled it out, the testers are not credible sources of Asobo's intentions. 

What the interview did in fact clarify, is that Asobo is structuring the sim in such a way that the simmers are the core target, but that they add layers and options to make it accessible for little 10 year old Timmy with disabilities that wants to learn how to fly. That sounds great and is a sign of good values. It makes me proud of them. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Andreas Stangenes

3 minutes ago, tommy10101 said:

Yet, I hear quite a few testers reminding us that the first time flight simmer is their main target and that some of the design choices will be disappointing for hardcore simmers. Not long to find out now ❤️

It is MS Game studio that`s funding this if only the hard core simmer buy`s this !!!. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

12 minutes ago, tommy10101 said:

Any tester telling you that doesn't know what they are talking about or are making a judgement based on their own jaded biases. If the primary goal was "gamers" or first time simmers, they wouldn't have wasted so much time and energy on things that obviously only appeal to hardcore simmers. Adding SIDS/STARs, real-time weather engine, real-time AI traffic, revamped flight model, VATSIM, etc. You also don't even attempt to simulate things like an A320 with laws and an FMC. You just do what FSX did with the A321 and call it a day.

No, they have spent enormous amounts of energy making this a sim that can appeal to hardcore simmers. But like FSX, they also know a lot of money is going to come from new simmers, so they have lessons, challenges, and things that will appeal to newcomers. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

What the interview did in fact clarify, is that Asobo is structuring the sim in such a way that the simmers are the core target

Good listening!

Yes, the guy at the end of the panel (Head of Production?) stated this as their number one priority. And followed this up with accessibility to a wider range of newcomers.

PS And from the drop down menus I’ve seen in video previews, definitely hard core simmers!

Edited by Doering
  • Like 3

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

I don't think anyone can doubt the sincerity, the problem is that the sincerity of those at the coal face doesn't always coincide with the intentions of the people holding the purse strings.

We've probably all been in that position in our own jobs on occasion, so we all know that it's a tricky situation; one which can easily see you fall between two stools, trying to please everyone and ending up pleasing no-one.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

I don't think anyone can doubt the sincerity, the problem is that the sincerity of those at the coal face doesn't always coincide with the intentions of the people holding the purse strings.

We've probably all been in that position in our own jobs on occasion, so we all know that it's a tricky situation; one which can easily see you fall between two stools, trying to please everyone and ending up pleasing no-one.

Regardless of that, at the end of the day they've delivered a sim that is at least as "hardcore" as P3D and XP11 (actually more than XP11 in some respects because of weather, ATC, AI, etc.) To that end, we are not going to take a step back here. It may or may not be what "I" want on day one, but it's not some limited first time simmer game.

Edited by bonchie

1 minute ago, Chock said:

True, but as a manager myself, I don't go out and commit my company to anything I cannot guarantee before I cleared it. It's pretty basic, isn't it? So when they use these quite big words and being very clear, it must mean that certain purses have been put in their place beforehand. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Andreas Stangenes

12 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

So when they use these quite big words and being very clear, it must mean that certain purses have been put in their place beforehand. 

Sadly no, it doesn't always mean that. Coming from a writing, design, media and advertising background, where I've done tons of ads, articles, linked editorials etc, unfortunately I'm all too aware that what companies say and the reality, especially at press conferences and in press releases, don't always tally with one another and quite often when you work in that role, your job is to write that stuff.

Have you ever seen a Coca Cola ad where their slogan was actually true? If you had it would say this:

'Coca Cola - there's several alternatives to it available from other companies, many of which are cheaper and just as tasty and equally able to quench your thirst, and some of them are much better for you and won't cause tooth decay!'

Companies will pretty much always say what you want to hear in press releases and product buzz PR gigs, it's par for the course.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

True, Alan, but I have been witness to management having to put their heads out and take responsibility for fookups. And the road going forward would be determined on how genuine their intentions were perceived by the audience. Again, I'm not saying that what you are saying is wrong, however, it's not a matter of fact either. Not at this point of time at least.

There is nothing at this point indicating that Asobo has been backstabbed by MS and that their expressed values have changed in any way. Or do you disagree? Do you see signs of the sim turning into something other than what they are portraying in that interview?

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes

2 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

There is nothing at this point indicating that Asobo has been backstabbed by MS and that their expressed values have changed in any way. Or do you disagree? Do you see signs of the sim turning into something other than what they are portraying in that interview?

It's not a case of being backstabbed, it's a case of what is said and wanted, versus reality and how that may drive things. It's tricky to create a slick mouse-driven PC interface which also works flawlessly as a console interface that'll please users of both GUIs, anyone who has ever played a ported game knows this, and it's similarly difficult to create a Level D simulator which also functions as a fairground ride.

We've already seen mention of the reluctance to commit to a firm date for a console release, particularly for the X Box One because of the developmental cross-purpose of making a wow PC game which is also capable of running on its highest settings on that console.

None of this means I think the game/sim whatever you want to call it will suck. I bought the super sexy version on day one and am looking forward to it. Just don't necessarily believe all the hype. When the advert for my after shave is on TV, it does not mean that because I wear that stuff too, next week I too will be driving round in an Aston Martin DB5 with a supermodel sat next to me.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

As far as I understand you, Alan, you are saying people should keep a healhty portion of sceptisicm. "Dont be naive". I get it, and I agree. However, as far as I know, we do not have any indications that Asobo are being made to deliver less of a product than what they intended and stated in this interview.

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

I love deep sims. I was lucky to get an invite to test the alpha /beta. I purchased the premium deluxe version so I'm all in . Don't know what else to say beyond that except next Tues is going to be awesome that we have a new version of MSFS at last.

• Like 2

Semper Fi 

30 minutes ago, Chock said:

Have you ever seen a Coca Cola ad where their slogan was actually true?

Yeah Chock, their slogan from years ago simply was not true:

"Coca-Cola, the pause that refreshes."

In reality,

"Coca-Cola is the cause of the pause that refreshes!"

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator