Sign in to follow this  
kenthom

v5 and Win 7

I still use Win 7 and v4.5.  Are there any Win 7 users that are using v5?  If so, how is it working?  

I am waiting for 5.1 and wondering if it will function well with Win 7.

We are curious.  I’m sure I speak for others. What advantage do you get by staying in Windows 7?  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

P3D v5 requires DX12 which is only available in Win10. While P3D has a version of the DX12 executable (see the installed location) which is supposed to run in Win7, I haven't seen anybody that likes the performance of it. 

I had to update to Win10 to run v5. I understand why you want to stay on 7.

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

12 hours ago, micstatic said:

We are curious.  I’m sure I speak for others. What advantage do you get by staying in Windows 7?  

Part of it for me is the intimidation of the process.  It looks to me that there are so many ways to mess things up so that I will never be able to fix them.  My PC is only used for flight sim so it has not been a problem to this point.  

3 hours ago, kenthom said:

Part of it for me is the intimidation of the process.  It looks to me that there are so many ways to mess things up so that I will never be able to fix them.  My PC is only used for flight sim so it has not been a problem to this point.  

Windows 7 to 10 was a totally non issue update for me even with all my sims installed on WIN7...

Chris Camp

Win 10 has better vRam usage with the 2004 build. Important for v5.

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

Hi Ken,

I tried to install P3Dv5 into Win7 as I had read about the folder called DX12forWin7 or something like that which is installed with P3Dv5. I couldn't get it to work though. The sim kept crashing when I tried to load a scenario. I haven't read any details from anyone who has had any success.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I would plan your move as soon as possible as future hardware and Drivers will force you in the end.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Thanks for the replies.  Can I assume I am way over thinking this and the process is not as bad as I believe it to be?   I just don't want to crash the sim.

I had no problem whatsoever. Yes, I think you are worrying for nothing. (or very little at least).I found that W10 gave a much more stable platform)

Edited by IanHarrison
Addition

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I also did the upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro with no significant problems. Was quite surprised, but glad I waited until Win10 was more mature and install issues worked out.  The only issue I have found is if you need to use NETBIOS to identify other network attached devices, Win10 has eliminated NETBIOS as a function. Quoting from a tech support forum "With the removal of SMBv1, the NetBIOS discovery protocol is gone as well." So just keep that in mind if network management is important to you.

Best of luck and keep a BACKUP!!!!

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

4 hours ago, kenthom said:

Thanks for the replies.  Can I assume I am way over thinking this and the process is not as bad as I believe it to be?   I just don't want to crash the sim.

It wasn't a problem 3 years ago when I made the switch and certainly won't be now.