Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

Best Aircraft for sight-seeing?

I've not had a Flight Simulator since v1 back when it was the gold standard for testing the compatibility of IBM clones. 🙂 As a frequent business and vacation traveller now grounded due to Covid, this flight sim couldn't come at a better time.

While I plant to spend a fair amount of time getting immersed in the airliners (A320/787) and simulating some commercial flights, it looks like the sight seeing is going to be fantastic. What GA aircraft would be a good compliment for sight seeing?  Ideally something with reasonable stall speed, good at low altitude, with a modern cockpit and some range.

20 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I've not had a Flight Simulator since v1 back when it was the gold standard for testing the compatibility of IBM clones. 🙂 As a frequent business and vacation traveller now grounded due to Covid, this flight sim couldn't come at a better time.

While I plant to spend a fair amount of time getting immersed in the airliners (A320/787) and simulating some commercial flights, it looks like the sight seeing is going to be fantastic. What GA aircraft would be a good compliment for sight seeing?  Ideally something with reasonable stall speed, good at low altitude, with a modern cockpit and some range.

Take the Cessna 172. It has great views, is very easy to fly, and has a robust Garmin avionics suite getting you through any stretch of bad weather (with the exception of icing, stay away from icing conditions!).

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No better plane for cross country flight than A2A civilian Mustang.

U can fly low and slow or high and relatively fast.

Beautiful plane, top class simulation.

Artur 

6 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

And it's not in MSFS.

• Like 7

Slow, high-winged airplanes with plexiglass doors. Like the default Maule Orion in P3D. About 600 nm range. Maybe it can be imported into MSFS.

I personally prefer helicopters for sight-seeing, though.

Edited by dilore
  • Like 1

P3D45, 8700K, RTX3080Ti, 32 GB, HDD 3 + 6 TB, SSD 0.5 TB Warthog HOTAS, Honeycomb Bravo, MFG pedals, Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Beardyman said:

I’ve been using the Mustang civ. as a cruiser for years but their best sightseeing aircraft is the T6 because of the wide canopy.

As they are not available anyway in the new sim (shame ! 😉), I suppose that a Cub-class bird or  the Icon will do.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I guess best option is to fly around on Bing maps.

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

If you have the premium deluxe version could you use the Zlin Ultra Shock for sight seeing, it has a very low stall speed(15.6 KN) and is thus able to fly very slowly in stable flight. It also doesn't need an airfield to land. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Ideally something with reasonable stall speed, good at low altitude, with a modern cockpit and some range.

Sounds like the Flight Design CTLS or the Pipistrel Virus.

Edited by Rimshot
  • Like 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Choose a slow plane with autopilot. Set it flying in a straight line where it won’t collide with any terrain. Set the drone camera to following and then go sight seeing to your heart’s content.

• Like 1

You can also hand over control of your plane to the AI co-pilot for those aircraft not autopilot equipped.  Looking forward to the ultra shock, has some big windows for looking out of.

• Like 1

I'm partial to the high wing Cessna's , 152/172 for low and slow sightseeing

• Like 1

Semper Fi 

Yes. Anything high wing, a helicopter or an Edgley Optica.. :wink: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgley_Optica

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I see the C172 has been suggested, but my choice is going to be DA-40 which has an uninterrupted view, good avionics, comfort and range. This choice will change the moment if/when Aerobask choose to release their amazing Lancair Legacy RG - add this and I will disappear forever 😀 

• Like 1

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

Depends on which version of MSFS you bought. If you bought the standard version, then the best 'sightseers' are the Piper Cub and the Cessna 152. If you bought the Deluxe version, the Cessna 152A, and if you bought the Premium version, the Pipistrel Virus.

What do all these aeroplanes have in common? They are all high wing monoplanes, which gives you the best view downwards for observing the terrain.

Of all of them, the Cessna 152A (aerobat) is among the best because unlike the regular 152, you can easily remove the doors from the 152A specifically for observation, although the normal 152 is okay. Similarly, the Pipistrel Virus has big windows built into the lower portion of the doors. The Cub is a good choice as well because it too is high winged, but in addition to this, it can land pretty much anywhere, meaning you can drop down and check out anywhere you like the look of.

As Mark pointed out, in other sims, it'd be the Edgley Optica (there's a really good freeware one for P3D/FSX), or probably the Bell 47 Sioux helicopter.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here